Gate check question

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
It has been a while since I have had to gate check a bag, but I'm planning on it happening on my flight in October. First leg is on a small CRJ-200. What I'm wondering is how long does it usually take for them to have the bags ready for you to grab and be on your way? We have an hour layover in O'hare, but usually we have quite a hike to make the connection.

Would I be better off not taking a carry-on and only using my personal item? I usually like to have at least a change of clothes and shoes along with me.

It may have felt like it, but I don't think it's ever taken 10 minutes for me to get my bag.

It also depends on where you are on the plane. If you're near the front, you're going to wait longer. If you're near the back, there will probably be little to no wait.

I'd say even at the front of the plane, you're probably looking at less than 5 minutes (assuming there's no delays that prevent them from getting the bags out).

We have an hour between our flights every trip and never have had a problem making it. Granted, we have never flown through O'Hare but have through Charlotte and Atlanta, both having had to go through the furthest 2 possible gates. Had no problems waiting for our gate checked bags and making it to the next flight. They were boarding but we had a seat so it wasn't like with Southwest where we were missing our boarding spot. We just got in line and took our seats. No one was waiting for us or anything.

I've been on the small regional jets before and have had to gate check. Once in a while, they can surprise you by checking the bag the whole way thru instead of having to pick up at an intermediate destination. Just be aware of that.

The ones or twice I’ve been on a tiny regional plane where you have to check it, they have the bags there as we are deplaning. But those times we were actually on the tarmac, so maybe that’s a difference. They just pulled the bags off and put them on the same sort of rack we placed them on at the originating airport. No one had to haul them anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter