Gate checked stroller damage - how often?

Giz1026

Mouseketeer
We will be flying down for a 10 day trip and have an 18 month old. We have a spendier stroller and I am concerned with the possibility of stroller damage during the gate check process. Especially since airlines are not responsible for damage.

I have been debating buying a stroller bag (which have mixed reviews on Amazon). Just wondering how likely we are to arrive with stroller damage.

Seriously considering purchasing a used stroller either to take with us or even have my MIL purchase one before we arrive. (I say used because I dont want to spend over 50 and want better than an umbrella stroller for comfort.)

I’ve checked my stroller with my luggage a handful of times but have used the red bag found on Amazon (The bag definitely gets dirty so I feel like it was useful. Plus it helps keep the stroller dry in the rain. Took the pricier stroller and haven’t had an issue in the park or with damage from the airline. Also have gate checked my baby jogger city select without the seat with no bag with no damage at least 10 times on JetBlue. (Helpful tip, if you have that stroller or a similar one where the seat comes out, my car seat sat in it perfectly and I used it to get around the airport). Not sure if I’m the exception though!

We will be flying down for a 10 day trip and have an 18 month old. We have a spendier stroller and I am concerned with the possibility of stroller damage during the gate check process. Especially since airlines are not responsible for damage.

I have been debating buying a stroller bag (which have mixed reviews on Amazon). Just wondering how likely we are to arrive with stroller damage.

Seriously considering purchasing a used stroller either to take with us or even have my MIL purchase one before we arrive. (I say used because I dont want to spend over 50 and want better than an umbrella stroller for comfort.)
You can rent one from companies in the area. I’m considering doing this for the same reasons.

We never spent more than about $75 for any stroller, even when we had twins, so I'm cheap...but in the 5-6 times we flew with them, never had an issue I noticed. We beat the daylights out of the strollers, so if it had a scratch, wouldn't have mattered anyway... :D

Yes, if you're that worried about it, buy a cheap one off Craigslist. Then when you're done, donate it or sell it again. We did this a few years ago and wound up spending a grand total of $10 for 2 weeks worth of stroller use.

Thanks for responses! Renting we would way overpay and I'm just too cheap, LOL. Which is one of the reasons I really don't want my stroller to get damaged, I know I wouldn't replace it at this point. I'm leaning towards the bag and hoping for the best.

I would never bring a spendy stroller down WDW. I would either a) buy a cheaper stroller that if it gets scuff marks on you are okay with, or b) rent one through Kingdom strollers when you arrive in FL. I read about too many horror stories of families bringing their nice stroller only to have damaged some how. Keep the nice one at home and have an alternative for the theme parks.

My advice Rent a stroller from a company outside of Disney for your trip.
To get through the airport in particular if you have to deal with a layover because where you live there are not direct flights.
purchase an inexpensive folding luggage rack and some bungie cords
place carseat on the luggage rack with the back of the seat against the tall part of the rack. Picture it like this the rack is basically going to be an L on wheels you want the seat sitting in the L facing the same direction. Use one bungie cord through the belt path on the bottom and another through the back behind the seat to keep it from tipping.
Once assembled fasten child in as normal and wheel through the airport. Sadly the photo we have of my youngest daughter riding in this same set up at 22.5 months got lost when our computer crashed. We used a Graco Nautalus carseat to do this but it would work with just about any seat. Advantage you have a seat if you need it. For us this was handy as since we stayed at CBR we were driven to our island in a bell services van which did not have a carseat available. We used the travel kart sold by walmart which runs less than 20 dollars and has a 70 pound limit and a 2 pack of 24 inch bungee cords for less than $5 If you go to babycenter and search for the traveling with children group and then go to the related photo group you can see a number of different set ups including the seat I mentioned above (page 7)

We did lots of trips gate checking our stroller with no problem. In 2015 we got our stroller back and it was ruined. Front wheel broken off. Airline said they were not responsible and we were stuck. We rent now.

We did lots of trips gate checking our stroller with no problem. In 2015 we got our stroller back and it was ruined. Front wheel broken off. Airline said they were not responsible and we were stuck. We rent now.
How are they not responsible? I can see scuffed up but completely broken & they just shrug their shoulders?

Ugh, this is exactly what I fear. Dirty/scuffs I can handle because at least we would still have a useable stroller and a little cleaner can get a lot out. Completely unusable and I would be upset and I know DH would lose his mind that the airlines can get away with zero responsibility for the damage.

I'm going to price out a rental and send my MIL to search for a stroller prior to our arrival. I'm already shipping a carseat from Amazonsince buying a used one isn't an option and I'm reluctant to gate check a carseat because if that is damaged there is a possibility we wouldn't know and put our ds in an unsafe seat.

I feel like I'm spending a fortune before even getting to the parks!

By law any American Carrier (Airline) has to let you use a child safety seat in harness mode on an airline if it has an FAA sticker. BTW all seats sold in the United States have this sticker. There are some restrictions on where it can be on the plane. No exit rows or the rows right in front or behind (this part only applies to smaller planes because the door is removed in an emergency exiting situation). Guess what no one under 15 can sit in those rows regardless so it doesn't matter. It can not block an aisle so if you have a single aisle configuration xx x or xx xx or xxx xxx (x is each seat) it can go in (o is child safety seat) ox o (really who is going to seat a child that young alone across the aisle but legally you could) or ox xo or oxx xxo. If you are flying in a plane that has 2 aisles you have more options using a 3 5 3 you can place the seat in the following oxx ooooo oxx. now granted if you put the seat on the outside of either center aisle you are not going to be too popular with other passengers because it will only leave them one aisle to use in an emergency.
This is an article written by a formal flight attendant who is an American Expat living in France who has traveled with her children on a regular basis that is one of the most informative I have found http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/ while it is about 3 years old there is a ton of great information from getting that passport photo of your infant, to what to pack in the carry on (what can go in the bag in the overhead and what to keep at your feet to have during the flight), to how to dress for the easiest time possible, to how to handle a diaper change in a small cramped airline bathroom.

Luckily for us we’ve never had a problem with our strollers getting dirty/damaged when gate-checked. We’ve used the bags in the past but I find it easier to go without them. The only problem we’ve ever encountered was landing in a severe thunderstorm. It wasn’t safe for the crew to retrieve any gate-checked items so they were unloaded with the rest of the baggage. Carrying a 3-month-old while lugging all of our carry-ons and additional children through MCO after midnight completely defeated the purpose of gate checking a stroller in the first place, but such is life.

Buy a cheap one from Amazon and call it a day. Don't bring your every day stroller with you if you're flying.

I doubt it gets damaged, but why risk it.

We've never had a problem with gate checking or baggage checking out strollers. We also have somewhat expensive ones (BOB dualie, maclaren twin, maclaren singles) and none have even been damaged.

As for people saying to buy a cheap one for the trip: I get this, I really do, but when you're use to the way a specific stroller feels/rides there is a huge difference going from something like a BOB to some cheap walmart brand it (IMO) it's not worth it. I'd rather myself and the kids be comfortable then have to deal with a horrible stroller.

We were able to get a D Lite stroller (from Amazon Warehouse open box) for about $65. Its more than an umbrella stroller ( has a recline, a basket, and a good sun shade). We use that now but I will say our kids enjoy the height of our bigger B-Ready.

We always gate check our City Mini (probably done this at least 10 times) and have never had an issue. We do use a bag we purchased on Amazon. With that being said, something could happen.

We've never had a problem with gate checking or baggage checking out strollers. We also have somewhat expensive ones (BOB dualie, maclaren twin, maclaren singles) and none have even been damaged.

As for people saying to buy a cheap one for the trip: I get this, I really do, but when you're use to the way a specific stroller feels/rides there is a huge difference going from something like a BOB to some cheap walmart brand it (IMO) it's not worth it. I'd rather myself and the kids be comfortable then have to deal with a horrible stroller.
I’m glad you said this b/c all this talk of buying a cheap one made me think maybe I should. But, my DS will only be 6.5 mos at the time of our trip is just getting used to the one we have so what you said is what I was worrie about.

My husband and I are tall, and cheaper strollers aren’t a comfortable height for us to push. Plus I know my kids will sleep in the stroller if they are comfortable, and I’m not willing to risk that. Kids that don’t nap could really ruin our trip, so I take our nice stroller every time. So far, so good.

I once saw a stroller fall from the gate check stairs to the tarmac. Felt bad for that family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter