Gate checked stroller damage - how often?

I only had to gate check a stroller once and didn`t have any issues but that was quite a few years ago. The one thing I wanted to mention is to remember that if you don`t bring any stroller from home (renting from a company in Florida for example) remember that you then won`t have a stroller with you at the airport. If there are long walks or delays, you may end up regretting not having that stroller with you. I found the stroller at the airport was very handy.

We've probably done approx 30+ flights with our single Bob or Double City Mini GT and neither has ever been damaged, in any way, shape or form. We've even checked them with extra stuff folded in the bottom (i.e baby blanket, an ergo, etc) knowing full well that it could fall out and be gone forever, and that hasn't happened either.

That said, we have had minor, surface level damage to the kids convertible Britax carseats. Nothing that has bothered us, but scratches/ mild damage to upholstery.

We've never used bags for either strollers or carseats, for what it's worth.

Only time I brought a nice stroller and checked it, they bent the frame and it was basically ruined. Expect that damage very well can happen and do what you can to prevent it.

I’m really confused at how many people have had stroller damage when they gate check.

We are talking about gate checking only right? Not “check-checking” it with your luggage? I’ve never checked it with my luggage because I’m a single mom and NEED it to make it through the airport but I’ve gate checked it a 100 times and never had issues. I feel like there is little room for it to get broken. I believe they have to put the gate checked items in last since they have to pull them out first?

Weird. I only ever fly Southwest and Delta (Delta more than SW) maybe that’s part of it? Has anyone had any trouble with specific airlines?

^We mostly travel with the strollers on Southwest too (We've done JetBlue) as well and I wonder if that's it and why we've never run into these issues.

It seems like on Southwest, your stroller is left at the very end of the jetway and is hand loaded directly into a separate compartment, and it always is ready for you in that same spot when you step off (meaning it's in your possession right til you step on, and it's back in your possession the very second you step off).

There are several ways strollers could potentially be damaged when gate checking. Though gate checked items are loaded last, the baggage handlers aren't always the most careful with them. The items have to get from the end of the tunnel to the ground, loaded into the cargo hold, then taken out and brought back up to the tunnel at the arrival gate. Sometimes items are carried down manually and can be bumped or dropped, sometimes they are sent down a slide and again can be bumped or dropped. Sometimes they are physically thrown into the cargo hold by baggage handlers, which could cause damage, and oftentimes they will have other gate checked items thrown on top of them. They aren't tied down or anything in the cargo hold, so shifting of items can happen, and items can move around, fall over, etc, further causing damage. Also, if the baggage handlers can't figure out how to collapse a stroller, they could damage it trying to do so, or will just throw it in the cargo hold not collapsed. Then, if other stuff is thrown on it or it shifts during flight, there's a great potential for damage. The clips that hold a stroller closed can break easily, also attachments like the canopy or cup holders can break off if other strollers or heavy gate checked items are placed on them and they move around during flight. Items can easily get scratched or dirty moving around in the cargo hold, or wet if it's raining while they are loading or unloading.

Having said that, we have never sustained damage to our gate checked stroller, but it can and does happen. DH works for an airline (though not as a baggage handler), and personally sees how gate checked items are often handled. I don't think it's so much a one airline is better than another issue but an issue of some baggage handlers being more careful than others, as well as things outside anyone's control, like items shifting during flight, etc. That's also why it's so hard to claim damage. It's difficult to prove that it was done by negligence/rough handling by employees, vs damage sustained through items moving in the cargo hold.

Last edited:
We’ve gate checked our City Mini many times using the Baby Jogger carry bag designed for it and it’s still in great condition. Love that stroller for everyday use as well as around the parks.

I would much rather rent one then risk an expensive stroller getting damaged. I think it was about $45 - 50 for a single for a week last time went.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Seems like there have been varying degrees of damage rendering stroller useless to no damage on multiple trips.

We leave in about a month and I'm still deciding what to do. I know I want the comfy stroller we are used to using and will regret buying a cheapie stroller. I know I can rent but for 10 days and that's $90, not sure I want to do that either. I may look into purchasing a nicer midrange stroller to leave at my IL's (like I'm doing with the carseat) and then won't have to revisit this question.

I am such an over thinker and the what ifs give me anxiety so will be worth it to spend the money and leave there for future visits. Even if we use it once (hopefully twice) a year for the next 3 years it will have been worth it to spend the extra. Thanks!!

So we have rented and it was okay. The stroller was alright but I felt like it was a little beat up. I find our expensive nice stroller is big and uncomfortable to lug around. Before we went the last time I purchased a GB Qbit stroller and oh man did I love it. It folds to nothing, light in weight and still provides storage underneath. If you are using Disney Transportation you know or you will find out that the buses can get cramped. The Qbit folds down to a very small size which makes it so much easy to get on and off the buses. It's honestly the best part. I bought ours for the price I paid to rent one but at least I get to keep this. We now use it as our defacto travel stroller.

We are renting a stroller and then will bring a cheaper umbrella stroller with us to use in the airport until we get the better stroller. The strollers you can rent from the companies seem very nice. We will be there in about 2 weeks so I don't know for sure yet how nice they are, but the choices you have are nice strollers. We will be traveling with a total of 6 of us this time, including our 15 month old. When we traveled last time with him at 3.5 months, there were 5 of us and trying to get all of our luggage and a stroller in the vehicle was difficult. So with the addition of another person/another bag we decided to not even worry about it.

That being said, we have checked strollers before and haven't had any issues. I would suggest a bag if you do gate check because it does get very dirty.

I've gate checked our Britax B-Agile a number of times. I used the Britax bag, which at least kept the thing clean and all together, and it's never had a problem.

That being said, while far from cheap, the B-Agile isn't one of those super-ultra-expensive strollers. I'm not sure I'd risk it for one of those.

Also, have you checked the gate-check limits for your stroller? I think that technically the strollers aren't supposed to exceed a certain size/weight. Not 100% sure about that, though, and I'm not sure what the upper limit would be. Worth looking into.

For our last trip to WDW, we brought our City Select with two seats. I've read lots of reviews for the custom-made bags for double strollers where the stroller got damaged despite the bag. We decided to put it in a large, sturdy suitcase; we added some padding and made sure that everything was well packed and wouldn't shift around, and then just checked it. We did have to pay for the checked bag. No problems either coming or going back home. It cost more than gate checking a stroller (hard to beat free!) but we felt more confident that it wouldn't be damaged despite the way that checked bags get treated. We got to use the stroller that our kids were used to and, due to the length of the trip, it was still less expensive than renting.

If you really want to use your own stroller, it's doable. Otherwise, I've heard good things about renting.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Seems like there have been varying degrees of damage rendering stroller useless to no damage on multiple trips.

We leave in about a month and I'm still deciding what to do. I know I want the comfy stroller we are used to using and will regret buying a cheapie stroller. I know I can rent but for 10 days and that's $90, not sure I want to do that either. I may look into purchasing a nicer midrange stroller to leave at my IL's (like I'm doing with the carseat) and then won't have to revisit this question.

I am such an over thinker and the what ifs give me anxiety so will be worth it to spend the money and leave there for future visits. Even if we use it once (hopefully twice) a year for the next 3 years it will have been worth it to spend the extra. Thanks!!
I feel the exact same way & leave in about a month too! I’ve decided to gamble the possibility of damage & buy a new one if that happens. But, I’m mostly concerned about damage happening on the way there & having to scramble to buy or rent one there.

Where you have family to leave a stroller with I think purchasing a mid range stroller to leave with them sounds like a great idea. I would recommend getting something that will go to at least 65-70 pounds though so that it would last you longer. (I would have gotten over 10 years with one that went up to that weight range with my just turned 11 year old instead of 6.5 years with the older style 40 pound limit stroller we had. Then where we live there are no sidewalks so having a nicer stroller is not something that would be worth the expense. Places like farmers market and the fair allow wagons and you can even "rent" them at farmers market-seriously leave your id or keys take a wagon do your shopping come back and they walk with you to your vehicle and bring the wagon back-donation optional but most people give 3-5 depending on how far they are parked).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter