Gay Day Schedule 2019?

GaryDis

DIS Veteran
We’ve just started planning a trip for the end of May/start of June, and I was surprised to see Gay Days moves to August, 2019. It's not a big deal for us, as that’s not why we chose this time frame, but I am curious. I’m also wondering whether we might see a crowd that Saturday anyway.

I don't believe the crowds are remarkably different so long as you aren't attending a specific locale/event. I think that's what you are asking at least!

While the GaysDays.com promoter for the special events has moved the dates to August, I expect a sizable number of us will continue to observe the traditional June timeframe for Disney parks, started as a grassroots get-together by locals, before it became commercialized.

August is hotter, muggier and much less pleasant overall as far as weather.

So can I assume the will be a unofficial first weekend of June and official weekend in August gay days events???

The GDs website is for people looking for a stop on the circuit party. Gay Day was started by some Disney employees and fans to show lgbt unity. No one person or website really has the claim to change the gay days dates at Disney. Besides, if you're voluntarily traveling to Orlando for fun, why would you want to go in the middle of August? yuk. Plus, I'm guessing the number of meth incidents of those attending the circuit parties will probably increase.

I don't believe the crowds are remarkably different so long as you aren't attending a specific locale/event. I think that's what you are asking at least!

I came to this thread to learn about this week. I am already booked for 08/07 - 08/19 w/ flights purchased as well. I did not know about Gay Days until yesterday and am worried about the crowds. From what I have been reading, crowds are typically only in the one park the GD guests are attending, but I assume others, like me, who will avoid the park due to crowds (I heard around 50K) will choose another park, therefor making all the parks crowded, no?

Besides, if you're voluntarily traveling to Orlando for fun, why would you want to go in the middle of August? yuk.

I am going because my DD is now in high school and it would be too difficult to make up school work in 6 different classes with 6 different teachers. Up until now, she had 2 teachers. 1) Math and Science 2) English and History. In addition to academics, she also plays 3 sports and missing a game or practice is a big no no. I chose August over July as I thought the crowds would be leaving with all the southern state kids going back to school at the beginning of August. Then I hear about this popular event that draws 150K attendees with 50K of the guests going to the Disney parks! Thats a lot of people considering phase 1 non entries into the MK starts at 65K. Im sure its less at the other parks.

I personally wouldn't worry a lot about GD crowds. I went with a group of 16 people over the first weekend of June a couple of years ago. I was the only gay person in our party, ranging in age from a few months to mid 60s. We had the Cinderella Breakfast in the castle that Saturday morning (there were two 6 year old girls in the party). We spent the rest of the day at MK, and everyone had a really good time. Be sure to book your fastpasses. I won't be going in August, I'll stick to June. And just a note: The Princess meet and greet lines were shorter than normal, as the park guests were a little bit higher percentage adults than usual. I think most gay families with kids, and more mature couples/singles will stick to June. The younger partying adults will go in August...but those are just my thoughts. And party people generally sleep later, and stay out longer at night, so if you do go in August, I'd plan to go to the parks early in the day.

But remember, crowds overall will be very busy for the next few years with all the new attractions being added. I was there in January, which has always been a slower time of year, and there were still 180 minute stand by waits for Flight of Passage. ANd long lines for everything in Toy Story Land. All the parks were busy. And I imagine the crowd will continue to ramp up as we get closer to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge preps for opening.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't worry a lot about GD crowds. I went with a group of 16 people over the first weekend of June a couple of years ago. I was the only gay person in our party, ranging in age from a few months to mid 60s. We had the Cinderella Breakfast in the castle that Saturday morning (there were two 6 year old girls in the party). We spent the rest of the day at MK, and everyone had a really good time. Be sure to book your fastpasses. I won't be going in August, I'll stick to June. And just a note: The Princess meet and greet lines were shorter than normal, as the park guests were a little bit higher percentage adults than usual. I think most gay families with kids, and more mature couples/singles will stick to June. The younger partying adults will go in August...but those are just my thoughts. And party people generally sleep later, and stay out longer at night, so if you do go in August, I'd plan to go to the parks early in the day.

But remember, crowds overall will be very busy for the next few years with all the new attractions being added. I was there in January, which has always been a slower time of year, and there were still 180 minute stand by waits for Flight of Passage. ANd long lines for everything in Toy Story Land. All the parks were busy. And I imagine the crowd will continue to ramp up as we get closer to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge preps for opening.

Thank you for this info! A crowd of 16 doesnt seem as bad as 50,000 !!! I was hoping to avoid Star Wars by booking the trip for this year, assuming SW would open more towards October. Big surprise for me when they announced 08/29, but still Ill be about a week gone so not worried. I was worried about 50,000 guests. Gay, straight, Bi,Trans, Cis ... doesnt matter to me. 50,000 is A LOT of PEOPLE!!! Since I also assume the weather will be extremely hot, was only planning on 1/2 days in the parks too. Ill plan out mornings instead of evenings. Thanks for the tip!

Have fun in June :)

I am going because my DD is now in high school and it would be too difficult to make up school work in 6 different classes with 6 different teachers. Up until now, she had 2 teachers. 1) Math and Science 2) English and History. In addition to academics, she also plays 3 sports and missing a game or practice is a big no no. I chose August over July as I thought the crowds would be leaving with all the southern state kids going back to school at the beginning of August. Then I hear about this popular event that draws 150K attendees with 50K of the guests going to the Disney parks! Thats a lot of people considering phase 1 non entries into the MK starts at 65K. Im sure its less at the other parks.

I wouldn't worry about it. We're pretty locked into when we can travel as well, with one kid playing high school field hockey and another considering cheer which starts in mid-August. That said, my gender-questioning kid is excited about the possibility of gay days while we're there. As to your question - besides the weather, mid-August is a great time to go because the southern states are back in school. Crowds aren't really bad at all, in my experience.

I wouldn't worry about it. We're pretty locked into when we can travel as well, with one kid playing high school field hockey and another considering cheer which starts in mid-August. That said, my gender-questioning kid is excited about the possibility of gay days while we're there. As to your question - besides the weather, mid-August is a great time to go because the southern states are back in school. Crowds aren't really bad at all, in my experience.

I was hoping, though this is the first time this event will be held in August. From what I read, it was usually held end of May/early June. so Im not sure what it will do to the crowds this year :confused3. But...I cant change my plans so crowds or no crowds Ill be there :)

I'm looking forward to Gay Days May 30 - June 2, 2019! It is an annual tradition not a circuit party.

We’ll be there in a few weeks for the traditional date of the first weekend in June. I thought it was absurd they moved it to August. My partner has epilepsy and he can’t handle heat well - so August is out for us. He had 3 seizures last year in Animal Kingdom because of the heat. So...,we will wear our red and hope to see others the last days of May and the first weekend in June!

Our schedule calls for us to be in AK that Saturday, so I hope it’s not limited to just MK.

Now I have to figure out which days to wear my red shirt, and which to wear my HRC rainbow block shirt.

I'll just miss it this year. Had to wait on a 10 year old to get out of school, so will be there the 2nd weekend in June, instead of the first. :(

Not intentional but apparently I will be there for the first weekend in June. Anyone else going to be around?

We are just seeing on TP that our trip coincides with gay days in august. What happens for this, and will it be mobbed? Only seems to be listed for certain parks on certain days...

I doubt it will be mobbed. Most people will be there to enjoy the parks like anyone else. There are some private ticket events. This is the first year that there are August dates for the event at Walt Disney World. You may see a higher percentage of GLBT guests than on an average day, but there are, of course, GLBT people at the parks every day of the year.

So in your opinion we shouldn't avoid whichever park is listed as a gay day on touring plans? Not like some of the other groups that cause huge crowds?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts