Gay Days 2019 Date Change

a4matte

Mouseketeer
Gay Days Orlando is changing dates next year. It's been the first weekend of June forever. It'll be August 13-19th.

If I remember right it was something about the usual host hotel (Double Tree) rented out their location to another event during the typical Gay Days Orlando event. Interesting to note that competitors like One Magical Weekend have decided to NOT change their scheduled dates.

This also throws the Gay Days crowd in with the early nights of Not So Scary. It's already hot in June - now it'll be mid-August temperatures. This is going to be a mess.

While I am not a big fan of moving the date to mid-August, there are a lot of good people involved with Gay Days, Inc. and I wish them the best. Although I am not able to take vacation days in mid-August, perhaps there are others who have not been able to take time off right after the Memorial Day holiday weekend. So, there may be two completely different crowds next year, one during the first week of June and another one in mid-August. As the gay week has expanded over the years, there are so many events all over the Orlando area that it has become a challenge to "pick and choose" which ones to attend. The Orlando bars/clubs, attractions and theme parks may benefit from being able to cater to one group during the first week in June and another group in mid-August.

The host hotel must have gotten a good price from the other event. They've been the host hotel for quite a few years now. I wonder if there's something else going on.

Im not sure I want to do mid-August humidity with a chance of hurricane. The Gay Days pool parties are a nice option to have at night, but for me it's all about gay days at the parks. I always stay on Disney property so Ill still want to go whenever the red shirt days are held. The gay days hotel has no sway over my decision on what week to go. I wonder if One Magical Weekend will create a red shirt day-esque schedule or if that will all move to August now.

I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to attend this year at the DoubleTree, for what could possibly be the last great year for Gay Days. I honestly can't say at this time if myself and my close friends with attend with the date change. This event is it's date. It's the date (first weekend in June) that has made this such an icon event for the LGBT community and the city of Orlando.
The remarks and statements made by the co owner of GayDays to Watermark were ridiculous. Promoting at those other events have never been a deal breaker for scheduling in the past, so why is it such a priority now. And seriously in August when hurricane season, heat and humidity are at their worst. Not to mention school employees and college/University students will be wrapping up their summers and focusing on returning to class and work. Remember these college age individuals are the future of this event, I would think it wise not to alienate them if the longevity of this event is important to you. And to suggest that One Magical Weekend and Girls in Wonderland have been riding GayDays.com's coattails is such a slap in the face to those groups and their years of hard work. Honestly I feel that everyone benefits from everyone, period. It's arrogance like this that has caused the demise of past Pride and circuit events, so check your ego fella before it's too late.
It's in my opinion that there is definitely some conflict between DoubleTree hotel management and GayDays management. What a shame that the city, participants and others will suffer greatly next year. I have always hoped and wished that future generations in the LGBT will get to enjoy the fun and camaraderie that my friends and I have enjoyed off and on for the past 9 years. Perhaps GayDays as we know it is in it's twilight years, but at least myself and the younger generation will have One Magical Weekend next year and for years to follow.
One bright spot, the volunteer that gave me my welcome bag and pool party bands stated very kindly that they were not sure if the location and date change will be permanent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a one time glitch in the system and that things will return to normal for 2020.

Im not sure I want to do mid-August humidity with a chance of hurricane. The Gay Days pool parties are a nice option to have at night, but for me it's all about gay days at the parks. I always stay on Disney property so Ill still want to go whenever the red shirt days are held. The gay days hotel has no sway over my decision on what week to go. I wonder if One Magical Weekend will create a red shirt day-esque schedule or if that will all move to August now.

I hope OMW does make a red shirt day schedule. I feel similarly and always stay on property as well so the host hotel doesn't effect much for me either. I simply liked the familial nature of everyone coming down at the same time and celebrating together, yet all in their own unique way (parking, partying, pooling, etc.) Not so much a fan of this seeming schism that's just occurred. :'(

Solomon

I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to attend this year at the DoubleTree, for what could possibly be the last great year for Gay Days. I honestly can't say at this time if myself and my close friends with attend with the date change. This event is it's date. It's the date (first weekend in June) that has made this such an icon event for the LGBT community and the city of Orlando.
The remarks and statements made by the co owner of GayDays to Watermark were ridiculous. Promoting at those other events have never been a deal breaker for scheduling in the past, so why is it such a priority now. And seriously in August when hurricane season, heat and humidity are at their worst. Not to mention school employees and college/University students will be wrapping up their summers and focusing on returning to class and work. Remember these college age individuals are the future of this event, I would think it wise not to alienate them if the longevity of this event is important to you. And to suggest that One Magical Weekend and Girls in Wonderland have been riding GayDays.com's coattails is such a slap in the face to those groups and their years of hard work. Honestly I feel that everyone benefits from everyone, period. It's arrogance like this that has caused the demise of past Pride and circuit events, so check your ego fella before it's too late.
It's in my opinion that there is definitely some conflict between DoubleTree hotel management and GayDays management. What a shame that the city, participants and others will suffer greatly next year. I have always hoped and wished that future generations in the LGBT will get to enjoy the fun and camaraderie that my friends and I have enjoyed off and on for the past 9 years. Perhaps GayDays as we know it is in it's twilight years, but at least myself and the younger generation will have One Magical Weekend next year and for years to follow.
One bright spot, the volunteer that gave me my welcome bag and pool party bands stated very kindly that they were not sure if the location and date change will be permanent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a one time glitch in the system and that things will return to normal for 2020.

I was wondering if this could be a temporary shift. Good to hear there are at least some rumors out there stating so. Even if they prove to be false, it gives me a little hope. After all sometimes real changes start with a rumor.

Solomon

Everyone... the Gay Day holiday (red shirt day at Magic Kingdom) is staying the first weekend of June! All of the other gatherings (Tidal Wave, One Magical Weekend, Girls in Wonderland) are staying the first week of June.

Also, in case you all didn’t know:

GayDayS Inc (GayDayS.com) is NOT Gay Day, and they don’t own Gay Day. They are a third party that was quick to register the website and form a circuit party, but the names are coincidental.

Tidal Wave and OMW are NOT riding the coattails of GayDayS Inc. They all are “riding the coatails” of Gay Day, the historical day.

GayDayS wants to move? Fine, screw them. Keep GayDayS Inc out of Gay Day!

Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to do August...it is more expensive for DVC points, hotter than Hades, and more crowded with school kids...nope. Besides June is basically a national Pride month, August is....nothing.

I hope OMW does make a red shirt day schedule. I feel similarly and always stay on property as well so the host hotel doesn't effect much for me either. I simply liked the familial nature of everyone coming down at the same time and celebrating together, yet all in their own unique way (parking, partying, pooling, etc.) Not so much a fan of this seeming schism that's just occurred. :'(

Solomon

I'm thinking it will be the same red shirt park schedule for 2019 as it has been historically...
Thursday, May 30, Animal Kingdom
Friday, May 31, Studios
Saturday, June 1, Magic Kingdom
Sunday, June 2, EPCOT

I'm thinking it will be the same red shirt park schedule for 2019 as it has been historically...
Thursday, May 30, Animal Kingdom
Friday, May 31, Studios
Saturday, June 1, Magic Kingdom
Sunday, June 2, EPCOT

That’s kind of what I assumed. It’s not hard to figure out the days on our own going forward. I just hope this doesn’t shift allot of people from coming down in June as opposed to August. From what I’m seeing on these birds most people seem to want to stay in the June dates for numerous reasons, one that really matters to me is the heat. June is already hot enough. August would be unbearable...and then followed by a hurricane.

Solomon

I wonder if One Magical Weekend will take the opportunity to "beef up" their promotion and marketing efforts for next year. They should be able to sell out The B Resort way before June, if they will promote that they are open to all and not just interested in attracting the 20-something and 30-something crowd. I also hope that Tidal Wave takes note. The bear wing at The Doubletree has always sold out quickest and earliest. A lot of folks are going to be searching for new venues next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!