GDT or POFQ for couple trip?

Craho

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

I know this has been asked before but I just want to get your opinion on our specific situation. We are DVC members and have only stayed at Deluxe resorts. We are saving points for a big trip next year but I got 2 tickets to Jollywood nights in November and I want to surprise my husband. We are going Thursday-Sunday and other than the event we may go to Epcot one day.
As far as resorts go, we love a good Disney theme. We own at Boardwalk but our original favorite was Wilderness Lodge. My gut tells me that I would love the grounds and the theme of POFQ but I have looked at videos and I’m not really crazy about the rooms or the motel feel if entering from the outside. The rooms at GDT look amazing but we are originally from Las Vegas and it gives me those vibes which I don’t necessarily want. Still looks beautiful and the food options look amazing. We want it all I guess but I’m truly in a bind! It’s a quick weekend trip and I want it to be nice but I don’t want to feel like we are in Vegas. Help!
Ps: probably won’t spend much time at the pools. Love tapas and Spanish food but also love New Orleans. We have also never been to Disney Springs!

I'm not madly in love with the rooms at POFQ either, however, I am in love with the resort and it's our 2nd choice after AKL.

FQ is very close to both DHS and Epcot--a super short bus ride to either. FQ's grounds are beautiful, the boat to Disney Springs is fun, and beignets.

I've also stayed at GDT, but it's not my kind of place. I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies with the exact opposite viewpoint!

I'm not madly in love with the rooms at POFQ either, however, I am in love with the resort and it's our 2nd choice after AKL.

FQ is very close to both DHS and Epcot--a super short bus ride to either. FQ's grounds are beautiful, the boat to Disney Springs is fun, and beignets.

I've also stayed at GDT, but it's not my kind of place. I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies with the exact opposite viewpoint!
Thank you. I gave GDT booked right now but I am strongly thinking about switching. Luckily we have some time. I just am tired of older rooms but at the same time really love a good theme. I guess the only thing stoping me is that it’s a quick trip so how much will we really enjoy the theme?

I never stayed at French Quarter, have stayed at GDT. I thought the room was super nice. It’s was Oct 2020 so not all the restaurants were open but 3 Bridges was and enjoyed it were much. You are going to be relatively close to HS and Epcot.

WOW....I just figured out what GDT is! I've never seen that acronym before. Stayed there twice and only knew it as Gran Destino Tower of CSR.

Haha. Yes, there seems to be quite a distinction between GD and the rest of CSR so I thought I’d be specific. I’ve never been to the resort so I really don’t know what to expect. Any thoughts?

Haha. Yes, there seems to be quite a distinction between GD and the rest of CSR so I thought I’d be specific. I’ve never been to the resort so I really don’t know what to expect. Any thoughts?
Never stayed in the other areas of CSR....only Destino. DD/SIL have stayed there also numerous times.
We all LOVE Destino and are always shocked by the low (non-crazy like most of Disney) rates at various times. I am DVC so I'm usually at the DVC resorts but Destino was wonderful when I ran out of points and also gave DD/DIS 'gift' of Destino couple of times when points were needed for a specific resort (BCV). They absolutely adored it and said I should never feel bad if I can't get them into DVC and would go to Destino in a heartbeat. Very nice considering a Moderate.
Also, LOVE the 'hotel' type doorway and hallways. I always feel safer with 'inside' resorts even though pre-DVC we stayed many times at Dixie Landings (now PO - Riverside) and CBS. Then we bought DVC...

I do know other people who have stayed in CSR "bungalows" and liked very much. Lot of walking but very nice.
Some people don't care for CSR due do it being a convention center but we noticed it was actually quieter because less children.

I would vote for GDT. Stayed there in December and loved it. Rooms are nice and the bathrooms are great! I liked that I could come back from the parks after a long day and could relax with a cocktail or a good meal. Afterwards I would shoot up the elevator to my room. No long walk from the main building across a large resort.

Hmmm, haven't stayed at either since we were Deluxe-only before buying into VGF.

Myself, I'd lean toward GDT. Like you, OP, I don't care for an outside room entrance or the motel look of POFQ rooms. POFQ's grounds are gorgeous, but the New Orleans vibe isn't quite enough to win me over.

Room decor and comfort are more important to us than those may be to most. I'd stick with the GDT booking.

Hmmm, haven't stayed at either since we were Deluxe-only before buying into VGF.

Myself, I'd lean toward GDT. Like you, OP, I don't care for an outside room entrance or the motel look of POFQ rooms. POFQ's grounds are gorgeous, but the New Orleans vibe isn't quite enough to win me over.

Room decor and comfort are more important to us than those may be to most. I'd stick with the GDT booking.
I’ve gone back and forth so many times. I just can’t get past that outside entrance and the room itself looks drab to me. It’s an anniversary trip just for the two of us and I want it to feel special. I just think GDT has more of an upscale vibe. I’ll miss the Mickey beignets but I’ll get over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter