Germany Cancelled

AddictedtoTravel

Mouseketeer
No words :( I just was informed that our August Germany trip has been cancelled due to low numbers, evidently there were only 6 guests confirmed.

They cancelled after the final payment. I waited to book airfare and pre night hotel until after the final payment thinking that, idk it would be a go. I guess I should have called to see how many were confirmed prior to booking the airfare/hotel. At some point you just have to take the leap though. Crazy :(

I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree, cancelling after PIF is a really lousy thing to do. I hope you are able to jump on another adventure and that ABD refunds any airline fees that you incur.

No words :( I just was informed that our August Germany trip has been cancelled due to low numbers, evidently there were only 6 guests confirmed.

They cancelled after the final payment. I waited to book airfare and pre night hotel until after the final payment thinking that, idk it would be a go. I guess I should have called to see how many were confirmed prior to booking the airfare/hotel. At some point you just have to take the leap though. Crazy :(
That is so sad! Usually, if they are going to cancel a trip due to low numbers, they try to do it before PIF date. I wonder if someone cancelled last minute? I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you talked to them yet? Can you move to a different week? ABD will totally work with you to get your airfare and pre-night hotel re-booked, and will absorb any penalties/extra cost, even if you didn't book it through them. They should also reimburse you if you can't re-book and have to cancel everything. But I get it. It's not just about the money. :(

Sayhello

We had ABD cancel a trip on us and they waited to just a couple of weeks before PIF. We were ready to pull the trigger on flights as well and glad we didn't. Good luck on recovery of airline fees, hope it goes well. Keep us posted on any challenges.

oh man that sucks!! Germany was on our list for next year but the Dachau concentration camp age moved from 12 to 14 so we have to put off until at least 2022.

I'm so sorry. I hope that you are able to either reschedule or get a refund with little to no impact on your wallet. These trips are not inexpensive.

That is so awful! I hope you are able to get something else planned. Keep us posted!

OP - I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. (And fear of this was the main reason that we booked flights with ABD too.)

Are there Guatantee Departures for every itinerary? Is there a list on the ABD website?
No and no. It's a huge mystery. Nobody knows why any particular departure is guaranteed vs another departure, and the information is NOT on the website. I know your TA can get the current list from ABD. You might be able to get the current list if you called ABD. The fact that ABD is not very transparent about this is a frustration for a lot of us.

Sayhello

We were considering booking but I think their cancellation policy (e.g. losing 10% deposit after 14 days) and their last minute trip cancellation policy after PIF date if they don't meet the minimum will keep us from booking with ABD. There are fabulous high end companies that we have traveled with that are much more customer friendly.

you don't lose your deposit- you can move it to another trip. What companies will actually just give you back your deposit? I haven't come across many.

you can get info. on whether certain trips are guaranteed if you call ABD. We typically travel over school break etc. so usually don't have a problem.

I cannot express how much I disagree with this policy. We lived in Germany when I was a child and I was 7 when we visited Dachau. That is a decision that should definitely be left up to parents and raising it to 14 is ridiculous.

Also, it sucks how ABD conducts trip cancellations. I would also be incredibly disappointed.

I am looking forward to out first ABD in June, but I just cant deal with the extra expense AND the customer unfriendly policies combined for future trips.

I really don't understand this idea of hiding the lessons we should learn from history from children until they are already teenagers.

I'm also surprised ABD does trip cancellation since many much more affordable companies offer guaranteed departures.

oh man that sucks!! Germany was on our list for next year but the Dachau concentration camp age moved from 12 to 14 so we have to put off until at least 2022.
I cannot express how much I disagree with this policy. We lived in Germany when I was a child and I was 7 when we visited Dachau. That is a decision that should definitely be left up to parents and raising it to 14 is ridiculous.
I really don't understand this idea of hiding the lessons we should learn from history from children until they are already teenagers.
You do realize that the age limits are Dachau's policy, not ABD's?

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter