"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" - A Running Journal

Checking in today. Since my last post I've started C25K and even managed a few days in the gym. Weight is slowly coming down as well since diet has improved. I was introduced to the world of dance recitals this weekend for DD first one. She was so excited and did well on her two dances. She is all in now and does not want to play any sport, just to dance. DW is a little sad about that since she played softball growing up and hated dancing. At some point soon I am going to register for my local marathon in Jan. 2020. I have one or two other shorter races I may try to add as well this fall but no rush on those.

Finally finished up two large back to back work projects!!! Now I have some free time to work on a training program for the Louisiana Marathon in January. While I know which plan I want to use, I need to see if I can get physically fit enough to actually do it, and if not, what modifications I will need to make. I got tired of c25k, which may be a unpopular decision, but I am adding more running than walking now. I've done 3 runs this week and while it doesnt seem like much, the longest run without walking has been 1.5 miles. The running is going well and I believe by months end, walking during my runs may be phased out with the exception to long runs. I hope to have double digits long runs by the end of June. I also hope that by September to be below 220 at a minimum. I am currently 235 which is 5 lbs lower than when I started back up about 2.5 weeks ago. Some things coming up that will be minor rode blocks along the way this summer. In early June DW and I are going to Punta Cana to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. At the end of June we are getting a puppy, which I really pushed for so training our new fur baby is going to fall a lot on me. Hopefully these are minor bumps and everything goes well. I do look forward to when the pup is old enough to join me for runs at home!

Weekly check in. Last week started off well and then a combo of weather and mothers day activities derailed the back end. I ended up with 3 runs for 8 miles and one gym day. My weight from the begging of the week to end of the week went down 4.3 lbs. This is a Monday to Saturday. Boiled crawfish (SALT) and beer will add lbs of water weight. This is somewhat common that Saturday afternoons get a little crazy and I hold the weight till I start exercising again on Monday. It then slowly drops until the weekend hits again. Read this as I have very poor self control on Saturday - Sunday. Overall I am down from when I started and the trend continues this week so far. Also this week I hit a minor high point. Since the end of January I havent run anything longer than 3 miles without walking. Yesterday evening I ran 4. I have a 2-3 miler planned tonight and gym time as well. Tomorrow is a day off from running, but I should probably get some gym time in. Friday I have another easy run planned and Saturday I have my eyes set on a minimum distance of 6 miles, but may go for 7. The weather has been nice, but it looks like our warm humid summer temps will arrive over the weekend and are going to be here to stay until October. I am going to look for some possible races to add to get a idea of actual fitness once I feel like I am in ok shape.

Good to see things are heading in the right direction for you, and sounds like it is a sustainable approach (I.e. not giving up all the pleasures in life, just some of them some of the time!)

I found a 5k to run August 24 at 7PM. It's been a while since I have run that particular race. It's usually very hot, even at 7PM for that time of year so I am not expecting a PR, but have set a goal time that I believe I can achieve by then of 22:30. I believe I am capable of getting down to a 7:15 pace over the summer. Time will tell but hopefully I will not need to adjust that goal up.
Speaking of the 5k race distance, it seems like it has been a while since I have run that distance as a race. I pulled up my Garmin history to see exactly how long it has been since I have ran a 5k. It has in fact been a long time! April 8, 2017 which was the Fat Boy 5k with a finish time of 24:20. So this race will be the first time in ~2.4 years. I am pretty sure I would be happy beating that time, but hope to be closer to my goal time.

Checking in this week. Good news to report first! Since April 23 I am down 8.6 lbs and have been able to get run more than I have in that time period than I have since the end of January. Last week I ran 5 days which is the goal. This week is not going as well but not bad. DD has a school function this afternoon that will keep us out late and thus no run today. I also missed Mondays run, so I have to decided if I will run Thursday - Saturday or just Thursday and Saturday. TBD on the front. Going to attempt a longer run this weekend than last and have a lot of outdoor things to do this weekend. It's also getting HOT! If winter can return ASAP that would be great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts