Get Ready for a Western Adventure-August 2017 Wish Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Definitely go again with your family and create wonderful new memories.... When I decided to take my kids to DL and LA I was a little worried that it would remind me too much of the previous time I had been there with my ex ... but I made this trip all about things I and the kids wanted to do and did so much more than the last time I was there. I was able to use my knowledge of a few things having been there before to feel comfortable on my own with the kids and in the end I loved every bit of the trip and my new memories definitely drown out those of the previous visit and the trip was the trigger for me to start to get over that ex.

We will go at some point. It is just so expensive. Flights alone for the 4 of us are about the same as staying there. I think after the kids are grown we will go just like we will make it to Cali.

Two food items that are loved by many here in Montana during the summer months are what are referred to as Flathead Cherries and Huckleberries YUM

nJTeM5J.jpg

0fvdo59.jpg

especially ice cream

Some of us enjoy them along with an Indian Taco ( made on Fry Bread) with each tribe having their own variation ( I promise a recipe later-for the Fry Bread that is. Sorry I can't share the Flathead Cherries or Huckleberries)

sWS04LJ.jpg

What are some favorite seasonal foods from where you live

I hope it is not too late, I would love to join if it is still possible. I'm a mom of four. I just a c section four months ago, so I'm trying to get back into the groove of exercising. I would like to commit to losing four pounds and drinking more water. I live in South Texas and it is insanely hot all day long. Sometimes it is still a 100 degrees outside at nine at night. So I tend to drink more sweet tea than water which really kills my sugar intake.

As for what I love about water... I love to fish. I don't go as often as I would like to.

QOTD: Must eat all the berries, and cherries. Locally grown, field fresh produce is so superior to what's come in from Mexico and South America. When I was a kid we used to go the the berry farms and pick strawberries and raspberries "professionally" ... in hindsight it's kind of strange (by today's parenting standards) to let a 4th grader get on a bus and go to some random farm to work, but that's what we did. I love a warm strawberry right off the plant with a little dirt still on it - yum. My Sister on the other hand doesn't like strawberries at all.

Saw my Nutritionist yesterday and faced the music... she went right to "so what are you going to do to get back on track?" That's what I'm paying her for :). What I am doing is cleaning out the 'fridge (again), and going thru the cook books to actually try some real recipes, instead just doing stuff I already know ho to do. My Insta-pot should arrive Saturday, so I've been collecting tips and recipes on Pinterest and have followed some people on IG. Starting to get excited about it.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthful weekend, round these parts we're all just trying not to melt.

I hope it is not too late, I would love to join if it is still possible. I'm a mom of four. I just a c section four months ago, so I'm trying to get back into the groove of exercising. I would like to commit to losing four pounds and drinking more water. I live in South Texas and it is insanely hot all day long. Sometimes it is still a 100 degrees outside at nine at night. So I tend to drink more sweet tea than water which really kills my sugar intake.

As for what I love about water... I love to fish. I don't go as often as I would like to.
Welcome!

Oops forgot QOTD favorite seasonal food is bbq. I like hubby to grill a bunch of chicken on the weekends and then use it during the week. The smoky flavor makes whatever dish I am preparing taste much better.

My fav place to visit is a day trip we often take during summer time. We visit Lyndon B. Johnson ranch quite a bit. The have a hundred year old farm where the caretakers make their own soap, grow their own food, and care for the animals. You also get to visit LBJ's house and see where he spent his time and the environment that shaped who he was. They also give you a tour of his stables and you can see the specific cattle that he bought which is a type of kind of cattle that is smaller than the popular cattle they have today. Anyway it is a neat experience to get to see where our former president lived.

QOTD: Hmmm I don't know of anything seasonal that's specific to my region BUT I did recently discover cotton candy grapes, which are grapes that taste like (wait for it) cotton candy! I was skeptical until I tried my first one. They're a great buy if you have a sweet tooth. All the flavor without the guilt!

Oops forgot QOTD favorite seasonal food is bbq. I like hubby to grill a bunch of chicken on the weekends and then use it during the week. The smoky flavor makes whatever dish I am preparing taste much better.

My fav place to visit is a day trip we often take during summer time. We visit Lyndon B. Johnson ranch quite a bit. The have a hundred year old farm where the caretakers make their own soap, grow their own food, and care for the animals. You also get to visit LBJ's house and see where he spent his time and the environment that shaped who he was. They also give you a tour of his stables and you can see the specific cattle that he bought which is a type of kind of cattle that is smaller than the popular cattle they have today. Anyway it is a neat experience to get to see where our former president lived.

OMG, I love LBJ's Ranch. I was there and did the tour Spring 2016... when you walk in to his office his presence is so strong I felt like I could almost hear his voice. Loved the three TV's in the living room. When we were in his bedroom the guide pointed to right where I was standing besides the bed when she was telling the story of his passing... a tad bit too intimate, so I had to move.

Last edited:
My fav part of the house is the many phones everywhere, especially the one under the kitchen table. Which tour guide did you have? We had a shorter woman with red hair. Kind of young, but she was spunky and made the tour so informative.

QOTD THUR- when I am home my eating is now under control, but when we are out of town, forget it. Usually I did not make an effort and just ate whatever was handy, souds good, haven't had in a while... The hardest is Disney because so many foods/traditions with dolewhips, ice cream at Beaches n Cream, mickey bars, Cape May, big pretzels...you get the idea. This last time I brought fruit and oatmeal for bk, salads for lunch, something healthy for dinner but still had my treats. fFelt much better afterwards. We are getting ready for a week long roadtrip and I have no idea what to do for food. I am bringing a small cooler but for food. Suggestions welcome.

My fav non-dis place to vacay... I don't think I have one. We 've been lots of places and I like most of them. We are still doing all family trips. The boys are 18,21 so I will go where they want because we won't get to do that forever.

QOTD-Fri- My fav food this time of year is berries! But they don't grow here in south Fla. We have mangos, avocados right now but those are not my fav seasonal. Berries, watermelon, corn, ...yum.

My fav part of the house is the many phones everywhere, especially the one under the kitchen table. Which tour guide did you have? We had a shorter woman with red hair. Kind of young, but she was spunky and made the tour so informative.

The gal who led our group was taller and blonde-ish. I have a brother who moved to Texas a couple years ago (I live in Seattle) and have gone out each spring to visit... I keep telling him to go to the Ranch, he's north of Dallas so it's a bit of a trip. I hope to go back myself. I have kind of an LBJ fascination... there's a bio-pic movie coming out in which Woody Harrelson plays him which is getting some good buzz.

We will go at some point. It is just so expensive. Flights alone for the 4 of us are about the same as staying there. I think after the kids are grown we will go just like we will make it to Cali.

I hear you about the cost - there is so much I would do travel wise if I could afford it.

What are some favorite seasonal foods from where you live

Strawberries are in season for us here as well at the moment and blueberries have dropped considerably in price so they must be too. yummy.

I hope it is not too late, I would love to join if it is still possible.

Never too late - :welcome:

As promised here it is a basic Fry Bread recipe

4 Cups Flour

1 Tablespoon Salt

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

Mix together

Add water slowly to make a stiff dough

Kneed until thick and elastic

Form into very thin round patties

Fry in oil until brown on each side

Other variations have sugar, milk, or butter added to the basic recipe

To make an Indian Taco

Take piece of fry bread

Add some taco meat on top along with your favorite toppings. Deer or Bison is a popular meat

Good Saturday morning after a short night for me ( thank you 9 year old for being up at 5 am, but at least mama got the computer to behave before having to go to town to meet some friends) Another storm last night with wind of course. Something we seem to have an abundance here. This photo was taken going through what is known as the Gap which has had the road closed for high winds ( they actually have gates that go across and you have to go around

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.6591524,-109.8400501,8z

If you go from Billings along Interstate 90 to Big Timber than head N on US 191 to Harlowton ( the Gap is from there to Eddie's Corner-which is a service station, nice little store, a diner with simple homemade food-you might get a pickle spear along side that club sandwich but don't expect a sweet pepper sliced in a curl on top of it as a garnish, if you want a cup of coffee they have it any other coffee drinks here's the creamer and sugar have at it. They have added a laundry mat for travelers to wash their clothes-feel free to start you load and go have a bit to eat just don't forget to move your load prior to having that slice of pie) so if the road is closed it is a long way around if you want to go to Great Falls from there ( snow drifts also tend to close the road more so than the wind-though the wind causes the drifts-we know to check the road reports before heading out and if needed plan an alternate route.

iutKDPj.jpg

Instead of complaining about the wind many farmers in the area have put the wind to use making them money ( they get a payment for allowing the turbines-which are bigger than they look in the photo-to be on their property as that is land they can not grow crops on. You can't see the bare ground around them)

QOTD What is something you need to not complain about so much and possibly put to work for you.

Bonus Any Fun plans for the weekend

It's never too late to join our happy encouraging little group. :welcome: Those sound like great goals and I totally get the wanting to drink more sweet tea than water ( I was bad enough about it before I met my husband and had his mother's sun tea with lots of sugar in it-she might have been raised in Illinois but it was southern just across the river from Missouri and her dad was from Kentucky ( near the Tennessee boarder I believe) so you know where the love of sweet tea comes from in his family)

I loved my visit to the LBJ Ranch back in the mid 80's if I might date myself ( Let's just say I was still in grade school that fall and yes my mother pulled us out of school for an extended trip to Texas-stayed based in Abilene where I have family, did day trips to DFW, LBJ and Alamo, than headed over to the Indian Cliffs and White Sands NM along with Petrified Forest on that trip. No way could my brother do that with his kids now a days for that long as we were out for 2 weeks. The attitude of our teachers was they will learn more on this trip than they will in the classroom just make sure they do their workbooks and sheets, have a nice time and send us a post card) though I don't recall their being a tour guide at the time. We just went through and there were ladies around who would answer questions. I remember picking Pecans there and taking them back home to show my class.

@sweetpeama just wanted to tell you - you are using some great QOTD :-)

What is something you need to not complain about so much and possibly put to work for you.

ugh so many many things!

• Not losing weight - but I need to put by body to work with some activity including strengthening exercises which will use my weight.
  • The food choices I make - so whilst I acknowledge this is a choice I need to make my mind work for me better to make different choices.
  • A work situation - as of Friday I am making some new things work for me there by gradually moving into a separate office - so I can have a bit of my own space and hopefully this will help with a colleague relationship and to help me having some breathing space.
  • $$$ - at the moment I work for the $$ I need to get better at making my $$ work for me and turn my debt situation around.
Bonus Question: No nothing exciting for me - it is already Sunday morning here .... yesterday was mostly taken up by Hockey for the boys - DS13 had an early game which meant being at the fields by 730am - so it was an early rise - he had a friend coming to stay the night and DS16's game wasn't until 11.45 so I left DS16 and DD at home to start with to do the kitchen, vacuum and mop the house whilst DS13 and I were at hockey. Drove home via the shops for lunch supplies switched the boys around - made DS16 drive to hockey (he is a reluctant learner driver and still quite nervous) - he and I had a sneaky takeout on the way home for lunch assuming the other 3 would have demolished the previously purchase lunch supplies. Then finally home at around 2-2.30pm where I promptly fell asleep on the couch and woke around 5.30pm. Made hot dogs for everyone for dinner, helped DS16 with a monologue script for his English assignment while he and I watched a couple of movies on tv together... Saturday over. So here I am in bed at 7am Sunday ... it will be breakfast, drop off DS's friend, take DS13 to the cinemas - he has a first date!!!! He has his first girlfriend - she asked him a few weeks ago lol - they are off to see Spiderman - DS has already seen it but it is what the GF wanted to see. DD and I will look for some cheap clothes for her to wear to school camp in a week and half - it is one where they do a lot of 'army' type activities including wading through a mud pit - so some of the clothes may even come from the op shop as you pretty much know they are going straight in the bin. DS16 has a work shift and I need to fit in the washing, food shopping and getting ready for the week ahead. Hope I haven't bored you with my very UN-exciting weekend:-)

REPORTING IN: I am off to a poor start - I need to turn it around.

Food: 16.13%
Activity: 0%
Combined total: 8.7%

Oh, for all our new friends this month - I don't think I really did an intro - I am joining in from Australia- on the beautiful Sunshine Coast in Queensland - the reason for my big time difference to you all :-) - @sweetpeama - you have got me thinking with your theme this month that maybe when I host again I should do an Aussie theme.

@sweetpeama just wanted to tell you - you are using some great QOTD :-)

Don't worry about a poor start, like I tell my kids each minute gives us a chance to start over. Plus don't be too hard on yourself. I ate chocolate for breakfast:jumping1:

ugh so many many things!

• Not losing weight - but I need to put by body to work with some activity including strengthening exercises which will use my weight.
  • The food choices I make - so whilst I acknowledge this is a choice I need to make my mind work for me better to make different choices.
  • A work situation - as of Friday I am making some new things work for me there by gradually moving into a separate office - so I can have a bit of my own space and hopefully this will help with a colleague relationship and to help me having some breathing space.
  • $$$ - at the moment I work for the $$ I need to get better at making my $$ work for me and turn my debt situation around.
Bonus Question: No nothing exciting for me - it is already Sunday morning here .... yesterday was mostly taken up by Hockey for the boys - DS13 had an early game which meant being at the fields by 730am - so it was an early rise - he had a friend coming to stay the night and DS16's game wasn't until 11.45 so I left DS16 and DD at home to start with to do the kitchen, vacuum and mop the house whilst DS13 and I were at hockey. Drove home via the shops for lunch supplies switched the boys around - made DS16 drive to hockey (he is a reluctant learner driver and still quite nervous) - he and I had a sneaky takeout on the way home for lunch assuming the other 3 would have demolished the previously purchase lunch supplies. Then finally home at around 2-2.30pm where I promptly fell asleep on the couch and woke around 5.30pm. Made hot dogs for everyone for dinner, helped DS16 with a monologue script for his English assignment while he and I watched a couple of movies on tv together... Saturday over. So here I am in bed at 7am Sunday ... it will be breakfast, drop off DS's friend, take DS13 to the cinemas - he has a first date!!!! He has his first girlfriend - she asked him a few weeks ago lol - they are off to see Spiderman - DS has already seen it but it is what the GF wanted to see. DD and I will look for some cheap clothes for her to wear to school camp in a week and half - it is one where they do a lot of 'army' type activities including wading through a mud pit - so some of the clothes may even come from the op shop as you pretty much know they are going straight in the bin. DS16 has a work shift and I need to fit in the washing, food shopping and getting ready for the week ahead. Hope I haven't bored you with my very UN-exciting weekend:-)

REPORTING IN: I am off to a poor start - I need to turn it around.

Food: 16.13%
Activity: 0%
Combined total: 8.7%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!