Get Ready for a Western Adventure-August 2017 Wish Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Seeing as the early settlers in Montana were farmers and ranchers, miners, and those who harvested trees from the forests-all dangerous jobs it was not uncommon for families to face tragedies. One of the sites of such a tragedy was the Smith Mine located at the then town of Washoe, MT ( Located on a state road between Red Lodge and Bridger, MT in Carbon, County)

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/mt/washoe.html

gnWsVJU.jpg

Stress can effect so many things in our lives including weight loss. How has stress been effecting your goals this week. What can you do this coming week to reduce the stress in your life in order to meet your goals.

Be sure and report your progress either today or tomorrow if you have not already done so

QOTD What is something you need to not complain about so much and possibly put to work for you.

I need to work on not complaining that I don't have enough time to exercise when I can't find the time to go to the pool when I want to and use what time that I do have to do what exercising that I can do even if it's some simple stretching, walking in place, or some light hand weights

Bonus Any Fun plans for the weekend
Nothing too exciting going on here getting last minute stuff done for fair next week as the girls have their non livestock items interview judging with a few exceptions that will be done during the week of fair. My job is to make sure they have everything including last minute runs to the store, keeping them motivated, and being the keeper of the lists for the packing. Right now instead of sleeping or working on one of her projects she needs to finish 12 year old is talking with some guy on the computer ( not sure I am liking this here-not so much the her staying up but the talking to a a guy. I do feel a bit better that DH spent some time talking with him).

REPORTING IN: 100% journaling, I'm not keeping track of steps because it's 100 degrees! Nobody's walking anywhere!!

Dumbo777: Welcome!! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

4Holidays: For car trips, in the cooler we usually throw in some fruits and veggies. We like hummus. Sometimes we make sandwiches and throw them in there. Granola bars, chocolate (husband is a dark chocoholic), and nuts are things we usually take. That and lots of water!! You could also take hard boiled eggs, either peeled or unpeeled.

QOTDs: Berries are in season now so we're eating lots of them! We have four tiny blueberry bushes that we put in our back yard two years ago. Two practically died last summer when DH and I were out of town for two weeks. They didn't produce berries but the other two had some. They were delicious! There are lots of orchards and farms nearby so it's pretty easy to find things in season. Cherries just ended mmmmmm. There's a big park with lots of blackberry bushes (a major invasive species here). I think they should be just about ripe so I need to go wander around the park and pick a bowl (or 2, or 3!).

What do I need to stop complaining about? Hmmm Probably the fact that until I got married I never snacked. Now I'm a munch mouth. But since I've been married 29.5 years I think it's time to stop and just own it!:rotfl:I am trying to snack on carrots and other healthy things these days. Not easy with chocolate always around.

Stress: I'm a pretty low-key person. I do go to the Y pretty much every week day. I'm not doing anything too strenuous, but I am moving. When I started the job I have now my hours changed so I could start going to yoga three times a week. It's right after work, so that's nice. Except it's right after work so too often I work late and miss.

This has turned into a very long post!

Have a great week!!

I had a great weekend. I did a ton of school clothes shopping with my daughter. I spent way too much money but they are all set for school with supplies and new clothes. It was Tax Free Weekend in Ohio. So basically for one weekend a year clothes and school supplies and some other stuff that is under $75 (single item not bill) is tax free. Then on top of it the stores all have sales going on. I saved over $200 at Kohls.

After shopping we got the house cleaned and then friends came over and we had a fire outside (until the skunk came). We did have smores and let the kids stay up really late and catch lighting bugs. We all had a great time.

On Sunday we played a little bit of pokemon and then grocery shopping. We were all a little slow moving from staying up really late. Then my dad took us to dinner for our birthdays.

So it was a good weekend until I stepped in the scale this morning. I am up 2 pounds. I was shocked. I knew I would be up a little bit but 2 pounds! So starting today I am back at it and plan to lose 3 pounds (the 2 I gained and 1 to put me back on schedule for my goal). We have nothing going on this week except cheer practice and karate on Thursday. I will be at the rec at least 4 days this week. I will also track my food better this week. I did good the beginning of last week and I didn't track at all over the weekend. Ugh!! I am so mad at myself but it is a new week and I just need to move forward.

Weekly Check-in: I'm going to give myself 10% for this first week. No weight lost, and I'm not yet completely back on track with the guidance I'm getting from the nutritionist, but I did make progress. Last week I ordered an Insta-pot and a Spiralizer and purchased cook books for both of them. I also moved the kitchen table in to the living room: this has been on my mind for a while, as I couldn't seem to make myself sit at the table and do the work in the workshop, nor do I even sit and eat at it (I don't have a dining room, just a space in the kitchen). When I got it set up I realized why I felt so compelled to move it - it is now in the middle of the house, which is where I strive to be... seated in the middle of my life. So I am making progress.

QOTDs: What should I stop complaining about and put to work - just about everything. Stop thinking and do, take the actions needed to change things.
Stress, for me has been pretty good lately, so I can't blame stress for making things more challenging.

The weekend was delightfully low key. I puttered around the house, went to lunch both days, went up to the Farmer's Market and got some produce, did some pruning in the garden, knit on the shawl I'm currently working on, moved the furniture around, took some naps. I'm getting to the point where I'm feeling more OK with the slow (non-productive) weekends, although I would feel even more OK if there wasn't a long list of chores and projects staring at me. Tonight I'm going to finish decorating the table, making it the ideal work space, and then will start on the workshop exercises. I also need to start getting ready to be gone next weekend, as I'll be heading down to Portland and to the beach.

Introduction: Also thought with so many new people it was a good idea to do a short intro, which I didn't do when I said I was joining in this month. Hi, I'm Lizanne, a single-ton living in Seattle Washington. I've been to WDW over 40 times, going back to the early 90's. I often go by myself but also have a group of Disney friends I meet up with... next trip will be group trip in November. I've been over weight most of my adult life, and lately have been at my very heaviest, but have recently figured out somethings with my body that weren't quite working right which are pretty much sorted out, plus I'm currently seeing a Nutritionist to learn new habits... like cooking.

Happy Monday to one and all.

Check in: I have done 6/7 of my 30 day shred workouts (had to miss yesterday due to unforeseen circumstances) so that's 86% for my fitness goal and I'm down 1 lb out of 5 so 20% for weight loss!

QOTDs: One thing I complain about is missing some of my favorite foods. Lately I'm definitely prone to staring longingly at donuts and such. BUT I can put that toward motivation because once I reach my maintain weight, I will have slightly more leeway than I do now while actively trying to shed pounds. So if I can just be strong until then, it will be worth it.

I'm fairly good at handling stress so thankfully I don't have to deal with it a lot, but I tend to snack when I get stressed out. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who exercises to relieve stress (power to those people) because that's just not how I'm wired but being on WW has shown me the impact of mindless snacking so I need to find other outlets.

My weekend was good- I finished sewing my Halloween costume which I've been working on since May so it was nice to get that checked off my list. We had crazy rainstorms on Saturday so we didn't get out much. Overall a nice weekend.

pZmW0B5.jpg

Today's picture ( Aug 7) is of the Yellowstone River in late winter/early spring 2016 near Laurel, MT

QOTD How is your eating when you are under pressure from outside sources

I will be posting everyone's percentages for the week sometime tomorrow so please get them in as a single percentage for those who are doing more than one goal this month. After fighting the computer to get all the things the girls needed for record books and judging for today from 2:45-11:30 PM on Sunday then leaving to go make a Wendy's and Walmart Run ( needed bubble wrap for a ceramic item of 12 year old's, and photo frames for her art work-one which was too big so we ended up going to a frame gallery to get it matted)getting back at 1:15 am putting 9 year old to bed, going back to work fighting the computer at 1:30 am till I finally could not see straight and crashed at 3:30 till 7:30 when I got up and except for a few short go to the bathroom and grab a piece of chocolate I finally got 4 how I did my project papers typed out for 9 year old ( due to her apraxia she is not able to communicate and this gives them a little bit to go on about her project), 1 showcase paper for her typed out ( something was said about new scripts being needed but then it wasn't in the hand book so I made sure just in case), total of 2 my 4-H year sheet sets printed, 5 non animal project journal and financial reports done and printed ( at least to date), 2 animal project journal and financial records typed up and printed, 3 showcase modeling scripts printed for 12 year old, and 10 photos finally finishing at 3:45 this afternoon. Headed to take the stuff to judging after that last of it was in the truck ( thought we just had 12 year old's last plastic tub of stuff-ah no we still had 9 year old's bin and box as well), so didn't get on the road till 4:15 ( I wanted to check in by 4 when it was determined we would need to go to the afternoon/evening time instead of our scheduled time in this morning), it ended up taking over 20 minutes to get the picture matted because it was such an unusual size they kept having to reprogram the computer ( they had to have the person who does this come off break). Got down to judging finally about 5:30 having got caught in the evening rush to a part of town that unless you want to go 20 plus miles out of your way and pray you don't get caught by a train in the town of Huntley there is basically one way in and one way out that happens to go right past the fairgrounds. Got stuff loaded on a nice flat cart-had fun getting that through the doors, got the girls checked in, got their items tagged with their division and class numbers, then the fun time started ( I mainly got to wait around-no concession stand open-they really would make a killing having one for this. Did get their livestock exhibit packet with numbers and wrist bands and all that fun stuff, turned in the record books-after I had the fun of filling out their Non Livestock Dept All Around sheets). We walked out the door at 7:50 and still had to walk to the truck ( judging ended at 8 PM) needless to say dinner was a Chinese Buffet in a little subdivision of the main town that is really close to the fair grounds. 9 year old mainly at chocolate pudding and canned fruit plus a big glass of milk. Other than it was sparse because it was closing down and we should have asked for a menu to see if that would be a better option it was delicious and reasonably priced. Realized I had left my water bottle at judging when we left there so called and since someone was still there went back and picked it up ( I sent 12 year old in to get it), then stopped and got water ( since we have to haul our water due to the nitrate levels in the ground water being so high it causes goute-the nitrates are from all the corn ( silage for cattle mainly though there is some sweet corn raised for local sales-in my area. My parents house is grandfathered in though they do have a cistern for their drinking water which is just a cold water tap so when they need hot water they have to boil it or warm it in the microwave. Bathing, laundry and dishes are done using water from the well so they can have a smaller tank and only need to fill it every 6-8 weeks opposed to ours that gets filled at least 4 times a week ( and we are conserving big time) if not more.
The exciting results
9 year got 9 blue ribbons and a red ribbon ( that was on her table setting though her helper said the judge didn't say the reason-it would be nice to know since it's supposed to be a learning experience and how can she improve if she doesn't know where she needs to improve especially since this is her first year showing as a regular member-before she got participation ribbons only). 12 year old got 1 white ribbon ( she did her hair scrunchie wrong and it looked like she didn't care), 2 red ribbons on her memory pillows made from old t-shirts, and the dress she made for 9 year old ( she had gotten blues on these at a review in April and did no changes so I was surprised) and on the hat she made on a knitting loom ( she got knocked down for not retying the tassel so it stayed on better), total of 6 blues, and 2 best of class nominations which were on her water color and her colored pencil pieces. She gets to sell them in the buy a piece of 4-H sale so will have to go in to help set that up on Wednesday evening and she will have to have the pricing done. I think we are going to ask them at the framing shop how much they would suggest on the colored pencil one since they saw it and go a bit less for the water color as it is smaller and not matted in the frame. At the very least I am thinking she should go $50 and $40 on them with her material costs and her time plus making a little bit of money on them. What I am finding on the internet is a range from $27 for an unframed piece to the $250-500 range for a simple drawing in a frame). I need to remember that she needs to make the final determination on the price she wants but still advise her. This was not an option when I was in 4-H so I have no idea. In the past there have been photographs but not art work that is original in the sale so I have no idea what to advise her. This is stressing me out so trying to be good and not have more chocolate.

@sweetpeama I am sorry that I am contributing so little this month, but I wanted to say that I find all your posts really fascinating!! I love learning about where you are from and the questions have been really interesting! Thank you so much for hosting this month!

As to what price to ask for the pictures: Ultimately with art the price is whatever someone is willing to pay. I think your reasoning is very sound: cost of material plus an amount that would be nice for a 12-year-old to have. It sounds like she has real talent if both her artworks got best in class nominations!

Sorry- I forgot to add my two goals together! My overall for both goals this month is 58% so far.

QOTD: I'm getting better at this but my main source of pressure is my DH. We like to go out to eat for our date nights and he is getting more and more bummed that I require the restaurants we choose to have healthy options, which rules out a lot of his favorite BBQ and burger joints. He doesn't actively try to pressure me into going overboard but his behavior can make me feel a little guilty for stealing some of his fun away. We've had some good talks about it and he knows how important my weight loss goals are, though, so it's gotten a lot more manageable.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. My mom is recovering from a pretty severe eating disorder so I don't talk to her about my diet at all. Her therapist said that discussing food, especially when it comes to diets or restrictions, can be really bad for her emotionally and mentally. We're having dinner on Thursday and it's the first time we're eating together just the two of us since I started WW. She chose a place that has a deal for a 3 course meal for two that comes with an appetizer to share, an entree for each, and a dessert to share. None of their appetizers are WW friendly and I don't eat desserts at restaurants any more since I don't know what the ingredients are. I'm struggling with how to steer her away from that without coming out and saying something like "I don't eat those because I'm on a diet."

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation who could give some advice?

[QUOTE="dolewhipdreams, post: 58023702, member: 595278"

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation who could give some advice?[/QUOTE]

I do not have any experience with this but I think I would eat it just maybe not that much of it. For dessert you can just eat a couple of bits and say you are full.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. My mom is recovering from a pretty severe eating disorder so I don't talk to her about my diet at all. Her therapist said that discussing food, especially when it comes to diets or restrictions, can be really bad for her emotionally and mentally. We're having dinner on Thursday and it's the first time we're eating together just the two of us since I started WW. She chose a place that has a deal for a 3 course meal for two that comes with an appetizer to share, an entree for each, and a dessert to share. None of their appetizers are WW friendly and I don't eat desserts at restaurants any more since I don't know what the ingredients are. I'm struggling with how to steer her away from that without coming out and saying something like "I don't eat those because I'm on a diet."

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation who could give some advice?

Not sure how often you go out for a meal with your mother, but if this is a rare occurence, maybe this is a case where you just roll with it and live with the fact that the day is not perfect for WW. One of the things I have learned on my weight loss journey (and I have been doing this for many years now and have learned to maintain a fairly healthy weight, even if it is higher than I want it to be) is that there will always be occassions that are difficult and where you will have to weigh social obligations with your wish to lose weight. It sounds like your mother's mental health is quite fragile. So, maybe this is one occassion where you just disregard WW and go with the flow. When I did WW we had weekly points, not sure if this is still the case. If it is, why not just write off all the weekly points for that one meal even if you cannot really estimate what is in it. In a worst case scenario the meal ends up having 3000kcal. That equals one pound of weight loss. If it is an occassion that happens only a couple of times per year, I would just leave it as it is, maybe suggest that I get to pick the restaurant next time and forget about it. If it is a more regular thing, it might be best to actually talk to her therapist. Ultimately, when she notices that you lost weight it might cause her some problems in any case because you will end up discussing food with her in some way or another.

One idea on how I tried to get people to choose restaurants that I would find healthy options at is to try to find something Japanese or Vietnamese as both cuisines are usually very low fat and have lots of fresh ingredients. I am not sure if there is anything like that where you live and if your mother would be up for this. But it might be worth it to just suggest an alternative and tell her that you have heard great things about this place and that you have always wanted to try it, but your DH is not interested, and if she would not be interested in trying it out with you.

I do not have any experience with this but I think I would eat it just maybe not that much of it. For dessert you can just eat a couple of bits and say you are full.
That's a good idea. I actually don't like the desserts they serve, even if I was interested in eating them.

Not sure how often you go out for a meal with your mother, but if this is a rare occurence, maybe this is a case where you just roll with it and live with the fact that the day is not perfect for WW. One of the things I have learned on my weight loss journey (and I have been doing this for many years now and have learned to maintain a fairly healthy weight, even if it is higher than I want it to be) is that there will always be occassions that are difficult and where you will have to weigh social obligations with your wish to lose weight. It sounds like your mother's mental health is quite fragile. So, maybe this is one occassion where you just disregard WW and go with the flow. When I did WW we had weekly points, not sure if this is still the case. If it is, why not just write off all the weekly points for that one meal even if you cannot really estimate what is in it. In a worst case scenario the meal ends up having 3000kcal. That equals one pound of weight loss. If it is an occassion that happens only a couple of times per year, I would just leave it as it is, maybe suggest that I get to pick the restaurant next time and forget about it. If it is a more regular thing, it might be best to actually talk to her therapist. Ultimately, when she notices that you lost weight it might cause her some problems in any case because you will end up discussing food with her in some way or another.

One idea on how I tried to get people to choose restaurants that I would find healthy options at is to try to find something Japanese or Vietnamese as both cuisines are usually very low fat and have lots of fresh ingredients. I am not sure if there is anything like that where you live and if your mother would be up for this. But it might be worth it to just suggest an alternative and tell her that you have heard great things about this place and that you have always wanted to try it, but your DH is not interested, and if she would not be interested in trying it out with you.

That's what I was leaning toward as far as throwing that meal kind of out the window as far as points. It's just poor timing because Friday is my brother's birthday and we'll be having a family meal, then Saturday we're eating out with my in-laws. One thing I'm learning is that -- now that I am in a healthy weight range again, even though I'm bigger than I want to be -- there are more important things than losing weight. One of them is my mom's health and happiness! It was good to hear someone else confirm that.

That's a good idea. I actually don't like the desserts they serve, even if I was interested in eating them.

That's what I was leaning toward as far as throwing that meal kind of out the window as far as points. It's just poor timing because Friday is my brother's birthday and we'll be having a family meal, then Saturday we're eating out with my in-laws. One thing I'm learning is that -- now that I am in a healthy weight range again, even though I'm bigger than I want to be -- there are more important things than losing weight. One of them is my mom's health and happiness! It was good to hear someone else confirm that.

After I posted, I was afraid that it sounded too harsh. And I am sorry that it sounds like the perfect storm of temptations coming up! The important thing however is not what happens over the next 5 days, but instead what happens over the next 5 months and 5 days. A healthy lifestyle is only sustainable if it can make you happy long term. And having a loving and caring relationship with friends and family certainly contributes to happiness. I think you do have already a very good attitude on this the way you write about how you and your husband are dealing with you different views on how often and where to eat out!

My thought is to just quietly do what you need to do and not talk about it with her... and let her make her own choices.

QOTD: Outside influences... my main challenge is the internal stuff, but I do stress eat, and eat out of boredom, and vacation eat, and... I'm still not back on track and feeling pretty crappy for it. Haven't slept soundly that past two nights and have had some pretty funky moods, so my body is definitely sending me the message to "treat me better!"

Portland is this weekend - already. I need to spend some time playing around with designs I may want to carve into the block I'm going to make in class. I'd like to end up with some printed fabric to actually make something out of... which means I need to get some fabric and prep it. There really aren't any pre-trip household chores to be done other than the normal straightening/cleaning, so no big effort there. I'm not even half way done with the shawl I'm currently knitting, so that'll go with me for some beach knitting. And I'll be taking the year-long self-discovery workshop handbook with me, to work on while I'm at the beach as well. It should be a very nice trip.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I would really like to volunteer to host this group for October. I was struck by inspiration a little bit ago but I'll be out of town too much in September to commit to hosting next month. Is that okay with everyone? Am I cutting someone else who was already in line??

This is what I wanted to say but I couldn't come up with the words. And you put it beautifully.

After my disastrous weekend I redeemed it somewhat. I am down .2 pounds today. It is not much but a lose over 24 hours. I had left over county fried steak for lunch yesterday and after i logged it in MFP I realized I am never eating that again. It was almost 7 calories. We were going to have steak for dinner but I told my husband that we needed to have salad. I needed something that wasn't high in calories. So we had salad and I also worked out. I got over 12,500 steps. I also ate a few tortillia chips for a snack but only ate 1 serving. I ended up only eating about 1300 calories and still had a deficit of about 500 calories. I also drank 20 oz of water.

Today so far I have had toast for breakfast and a salad for lunch. I have also only had water to drink. Starting the day off good. We are going to have the steak for dinner tonight and I will also work out.

My husband and I talked yesterday and we are both on track again. He has only lost a half pound since January and I am up 3-4 pounds. if either of want to hit our goal we need to get working on it. We have both gotten serious so we should be headed in the right direction.

Stress can effect so many things in our lives including weight loss. How has stress been effecting your goals this week. What can you do this coming week to reduce the stress in your life in order to meet your goals.

Work stress is being relived somewhat by the plan to movie into the adjacent office which is mostly used a storeroom - but I will rearrange and tidy it up of the next few weeks - I am a little excited to have my own space.
Twins go on school camp next week - so having to make sure they have all the clothes and supplies they need for that this week - it is inland a few hours and it is cooler there especially at night!
I need to get back on track with food plan and remembering to get the meat out of the freezer so it defrosts in time - to help me cope with just the everyday business of life.

QOTD How is your eating when you are under pressure from outside sources

Like @Oneanne I think the biggest influence on my eating is me. Outside sources though include my kids desire for takeout at times, when under time pressure and I am disorganised I easily slip into poorer choices, eating out with friends is not all that bad as many of my friends eat healthily and some have intolerances so it is usually a collective effort to have something yummy but healthy.

9 year got 9 blue ribbons and a red ribbon ( that was on her table setting though her helper said the judge didn't say the reason-it would be nice to know since it's supposed to be a learning experience and how can she improve if she doesn't know where she needs to improve especially since this is her first year showing as a regular member-before she got participation ribbons only). 12 year old got 1 white ribbon ( she did her hair scrunchie wrong and it looked like she didn't care), 2 red ribbons on her memory pillows made from old t-shirts, and the dress she made for 9 year old ( she had gotten blues on these at a review in April and did no changes so I was surprised) and on the hat she made on a knitting loom ( she got knocked down for not retying the tassel so it stayed on better), total of 6 blues, and 2 best of class nominations which were on her water color and her colored pencil pieces

Congrats to your girls - you all seem to work so hard to get ready for these competitions so it is wonderful to hear the rewards they received.

You have gotten some fantastic advice from @piglet1979 and @Flossbolna - I was going to say that you don't need to tell her you are on a diet - because you aren't - even though you are using WW - really you are making lifelong changes to your approach to food in general :-) - well hopefully. I used to have a very close friend who had an eating disorder among other mental health issues - and it can be very hard to be the support person or to make your own choices without feeling like you are walking on egg shells sometimes worrying what effect that will have on their health. I agree with the others and was going to say pretty much the same as @Flossbolna. I would also enjoy the time with her and the food - it will be good for her to have a positive experience eating out - and you may find that even though she has chosen the 3 course option - she also may not eat every last bite of everything. Good luck I hope it goes well for both of you :hug:

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I would really like to volunteer to host this group for October. I was struck by inspiration a little bit ago but I'll be out of town too much in September to commit to hosting next month. Is that okay with everyone? Am I cutting someone else who was already in line??

We would love for you to be the host for October - lately we seem to have last minute volunteers - so it will be nice to know we have October all covered :thumbsup2

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am all caught up now yeah. Time for me to go wake the kids up and get this day happening - I am determined to have a positive day today :-)

My apologies if I missed you for the check in

Here is what I have for this week

Sweetpeama 100% ( a few days were above my start but the over all is actually lower. The struggle is going to be next week with the fair coming up)

4Mickeys 8.7%

Oneanne 10%

dolewhipdreams 58%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter