Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

Congrats to Hannah! That's a wonderful accomplishment. What a fabulous field she's chosen. :lovestruc

Thanks Meghan! I would agree. I have worked with children with learning disabilities for over 20 years now. There aren't many places on the dual course so it's great she managed to get a place.

Life Update

The past year has been taken up with Hannah studying for her Higher exams. These are the exams that are required in Scotland for university entry. She sat 5 Highers in English, Modern Studies, History, Biology and Drama. It has been a stressful year with lots of course work and assignments along the way. Her final exam was on 1st June. She applied for university and received a conditional offer on attaining specific grades in her exams. It has been a long wait over the summer to see if she would meet the conditions of her offer. I have been literally counting the days, then hours to results day. Yesterday we sat waiting at 8am for her results to come via text. We were delighted and relieved when the text arrived with her results that secured her place at university. She is going to do Nursing Studies - Dual registration: Learning Disability/Child. She is really looking forward to starting uni and the thought of not returning to school in a couple of weeks.

Congratulations to Hannah!!!!

Caught up as I was in your lovely country last week. Was on a tour that did the borders and got to spend some time in Northern England also. I had wanted to fly in a day or two early to see Glasgow but my mother refused.

I loved the Flag Wavers the one time I had the chance to see them. I was so glad I did when I found they were leaving shortly after that trip.

Congratulations to Hannah. My daughter just graduated from Nursing school this past September and the University with her BSN while I was in Scotland.

That's because, as is typical with princes, she got swept off her feet then left to sit while he goes off hunting and jousting and such.

:laughing:

What could be more relevant than advice from a princess?

I think it was something along the lines of staying clear of spinning wheels on the evening of her 16th birthday. Hannah took her advice and as you know lived to be 17.

That's one. The other was impaled and had to be replaced.

That explains it - they ran out of flag catchers and there could be no show! Moving swiftly on!

Hmmm... I wonder if nearby air conditioning would have changed his mind.

True but that is the key to the design of World showcase. That gap between Germany and China where there really should be another land is where they strategically place the Outpost. They suck you in at the Village Traders into playing the the little African instruments. Before you know it you're too hot the rain has come on (as it inevitably does at this point). "Care for a cooling fan or a poncho?"

It was amazing - I would love to do it again with a proper camera.

Last edited:
I think it was something along the lines of staying clear of spinning wheels on the evening of her 16th birthday. Hannah took her advice and as you know lived to be 17.

This is sound advice.
Apparently, the number of young women being cast into an endless sleep from spinning wheels is just as common as those falling to the same fate after eating poison apples.

That explains it - they ran out of flag catchers and there could be no show! Moving swiftly on!

::yes::

True but that is the key to the design of World showcase. That gap between Germany and China where there really should be another land is where they strategically place the Outpost. They suck you in at the Village Traders into playing the the little African instruments. Before you know it you're too hot the rain has come on (as it inevitably does at this point). Care for a cooling fan or a poncho?

So devious!
And... evil.

It was amazing - I would love to do it again with a proper camera.

:)

Congratulations to Hannah!!!!

Thanks on behalf of Hannah.

Caught up as I was in your lovely country last week. Was on a tour that did the borders and got to spend some time in Northern England also.

Am I right in thinking that your tour included Hadrian's Wall.

I had wanted to fly in a day or two early to see Glasgow but my mother refused.

What a pity! I could have directed you to the Antonine Wall. We have the remains of Roman baths about 15 mins walk from where I live.

Congratulations to Hannah. My daughter just graduated from Nursing school this past September and the University with her BSN while I was in Scotland.

I remember you sharing that in your trip report. It will be a BSc (Hons) that Hannah will do.

Thanks on behalf of Hannah.

You are welcome.

Am I right in thinking that your tour included Hadrian's Wall.

It did and I was thrilled. We actually went to one of the Roman forts associated with the wall but it was still a dream come true for me.

What a pity! I could have directed you to the Antonine Wall. We have the remains of Roman baths about 15 mins walk from where I live.

We are going to see if the doctors will clear my husband to fly next year. They are still working on what caused the strokes but we do know it was blood clots. A 7 hour flight might not be allowed. However, if he can get the clearances I am hoping to add a few days to the trip and throw in London and Glasgow since it may be the last time I get over the pond for a bit. Some things here in the states to see also.

I remember you sharing that in your trip report. It will be a BSc (Hons) that Hannah will do.

That is still quite an achievement. We saw a medical emergency at the Edinburgh Royal Military Tattoo and I must say I was very impressed with the medical staff and how quickly they responded. It appeared as though someone had a heart attack about 10 or so rows down from us and we could see CPR being administered. Even the announcer was doing things to keep attention away from what was happening. I do have a question if you know the answer. When they took the man away there were no sirens. Is that usual in Scotland? Here in the states the lights and sirens would have been going unless the person had passed away.

That is still quite an achievement.

I'm pleased - getting her grades in one sitting and her place are a great achievement. Then there will be the next 4 years of hard work during the degree. I'm sure that will take a lot of commitment.

I do have a question if you know the answer. When they took the man away there were no sirens. Is that usual in Scotland? Here in the states the lights and sirens would have been going unless the person had passed away.

The answer taken from the Scottish Ambulance service website is:
An ambulance can only turn on its sirens in an emergency situation. It is then up to the discretion of the driver of the ambulance to decide when to use sirens and lights or just the lights. They will usually switch their sirens on when approaching junctions or traffic to alert people and vehicles to the presence of an ambulance before they can be seen.

The sirens are only used when they are trying to alert drivers so they will pull out their way or when going through a red light. Our NHS do a phenomenal job.

I'm pleased - getting her grades in one sitting and her place are a great achievement. Then there will be the next 4 years of hard work during the degree. I'm sure that will take a lot of commitment.

It will be hard but very much worth it in the end.

The answer taken from the Scottish Ambulance service website is:
An ambulance can only turn on its sirens in an emergency situation. It is then up to the discretion of the driver of the ambulance to decide when to use sirens and lights or just the lights. They will usually switch their sirens on when approaching junctions or traffic to alert people and vehicles to the presence of an ambulance before they can be seen.

The sirens are only used when they are trying to alert drivers so they will pull out their way or when going through a red light. Our NHS do a phenomenal job.

Thank you. We were concerned, my group that is, that he may have passed. I was very good and took no pictures unfortunately not everyone in my group felt the same. I will agree they did a phenomenal job with the limited space they had to work. Have you ever been to the tattoo? That was an amazing experience.

Day Three Part Five: Football and Chili's

We headed back to our apartment. Wales had reached the Semi-Finals of the European Championships. We were pleased to see that we were able to watch the match on TV. Hannah may have retreated to her room.

The boys got set up to watch the match - complete with a cold coke and an individual bowl of Lay's.

Wales had a remarkable run in this tournament and we cheered them on. Unfortunately, in the Semi-final Ronaldo did what Ronaldo does: he headed in a goal and assisted with the second.

We headed out at 5pm for an early evening meal. I don't think we'd actually stopped for lunch. The past few trips we had been on site with the Disney Dining Plan. This trip we only had one ADR. I was keen to try some off-site dining options. This evening was to be our first time ever to Chili's.

Chili's were doing a Two for $20 offer where you could order one appetiser and two entrees from a set menu.

The warm tostada chips and fresh salsa proved to be a hit. In fact tostada chips are now a fairly regular item at home.

We ordered the onion rings as our second appetiser.

The set menu suited us as it had a good number of items that we liked.

I chose the
Honey chipotle crispy chicken. I was able to choose a couple of sides so selected corn on the cob and fries.

Hannah ordered Chicken Fajitas. I suspected Peter may have too. Fajitas are very popular choice in our house and we tend to make them once a week. They came sizzling to the table.

Alan ordered a bacon burger.

I had signed up for Chili's rewards before leaving for Orlando. This entitled me to a free birthday dessert. I selected the Molten chocolate cake. They brought 4 spoons - Who said I wanted to share? It was very tasty - well the small bit I managed to eat.

I was really impressed by our food and service. Our total before tip was $53.64 which was really good value. We agreed we would definitely return to Chili's.

Last edited:
Missed a few update along the way, but had to laugh about the Magic Shots dialogue. LOL!! And you ended up with... that! :lmao:

I have to agree with you on the Missions. I did one, as you read in my TR, in Germany and by the end I was hot and kinda... done. It does help you to get back into the Pavilions and see details you might not otherwise see. I am shocked you'd never been to the back of France, even if only for the treats!

I have to wonder what kind of life advice she offered!!! Naps are a great thing?? Make sure you know who's important to invite to parties...?

The Flag Family?! How cool is that?!! And I've never run across the Flag twirler act. Will watch for that. :)

I was just at Chili's and enjoyed a burger but on lettuce; I love their food! Good choice and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Life Update

The past year has been taken up with Hannah studying for her Higher exams. These are the exams that are required in Scotland for university entry. She sat 5 Highers in English, Modern Studies, History, Biology and Drama. It has been a stressful year with lots of course work and assignments along the way. Her final exam was on 1st June. She applied for university and received a conditional offer on attaining specific grades in her exams. It has been a long wait over the summer to see if she would meet the conditions of her offer. I have been literally counting the days, then hours to results day. Yesterday we sat waiting at 8am for her results to come via text. We were delighted and relieved when the text arrived with her results that secured her place at university. She is going to do Nursing Studies - Dual registration: Learning Disability/Child. She is really looking forward to starting uni and the thought of not returning to school in a couple of weeks.

This is such FANTASTIC news!! I am absolutely thrilled for both Hannah and you as I know you poured hours of time and emotional energy into her studies. So, SO proud of her and even prouder of her studying Nursing. It's a worthy and wonderful profession that I know she'll do quite well at!

I have a Chili's less than 10 minutes from my house and have never been there. That food looks really good though. I may need to look into a meal there, maybe for my husbands birthday.

My 2 youngest grandsons are playing soccer (your football) this year. I got them Scotland soccer outfits and they were so excited they had to wear them immediately. I wish I had taken a picture as they were so cute.

We used to have 3 Chili's within 20 minuets of us but 2 are now closed. We have always had good food and service. I wouldn't have wanted to share my cake either :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!