Getting a GAC

cmwade77

DIS Veteran
Last time I was at WDW (in May) I got a GAC that really worked well for me (not being able to stand for long periods of time, walking is not an issue though and I was by myself). Now my question is, will it be hard for me to get it again? Should I bring the old one with me?

I ask because I have had an extremely difficult time getting assitance at Disneyland, so I would like to know what the easiest method is, to avoid problems befroe they start.

bring your old one with you and then you know what works for you.

I would bring your old one with you and just explain your needs if they ask. There is no magic words or diagnoses it is all based on the persons needs. I hope you have a great trip.
JenJen

Thank you so much, I am sure I will, I leave tomorrow! I thought I might have to cancel because of Hurricane Catrina! Looks like all is well in Florida though, I do feel for those in New Orleans. Well thank you all again. Also if any of you come out to Disneyland in Cali be sure to bring you GAC from Disneyworld, given the right cast member it will help a lot.

Just agreeing with the others. Having the old GAC and being able to explain your needs will help.

Your doctor should be more than happy to write a note concerning your disability. My urologist simply wrote out on a prescription pad what my disease is, what it's symptoms are, what I had trouble doing, i.e. standing, walking long distances, Just really a couple of sentences. They really can't argue with a dr's note and it helps make a decision about your needs. If you've got that in hand, then you dont' have to worry too. ::MinnieMo

They can't require a doctor's letter/prescription because of the ADA.
Some people do bring one, although they are not needed. Some people feel more confident asking for assistance with a letter, especially if they have an invisible disability.
Often the letters/prescriptions are not helpful because they don't describe what the needs are; just list a diagnosis and something non-specific like "my patient has difficulty waiting in lines. Please give all the assistance consideration you can to this patient."
Because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs, a diagnosis is not particularly helpful.

Here's what
the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities has to say about endurance concerns:
Stamina or Endurance Concerns

Some Guests may be concerned that they do not have the stamina to wait in our queues. We strongly suggest these Guests consider using a wheelchair, personal scooter or Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV), as the distance between our attractions is much greater than the length of our queues.

That does make sense since the amount of time and distance spent in lines is much smaller than the distance and time getting around the parks. Just the distance around the WS waterway (not going into shops and walking around in the countries) is 1.3 miles.

I was reading the original post and I realized that you said you were alone on your last trip so the GAC could have been given because you had no one to assist pushing you in a wheel chair. If you are going with others this time they may request you to get a chair because of the assistance you need.

Then maybe the will not LOL Just a thought!
JenJen

JenJen said:
I was reading the original post and I realized that you said you were alone on your last trip so the GAC could have been given because you had no one to assist pushing you in a wheel chair. If you are going with others this time they may request you to get a chair because of the assistance you need.

Then maybe the will not LOL Just a thought!
JenJen
good point

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter