Getting aggrivation from our own....re:GAC

ZIPBAGS

DIS Veteran
I was just reading how one poster was lead in with some other guest who were in wheelchairs. And how they made a comment. It really irks me when people who are in wheelchairs do this. They better than anyone should know a problem might not be visible. This happened to me twice when I took my DD with sensory issues to Disney last November. The first time we were in the alternate enterance (exit area) for Jungle cruise. Their was a man in a wheelchair who kept giving us looks and telling us this wasn't the line. I told him I know that. I felt no obligation to tell him about my daughters problems. The other time we were at the Lion King show in AK. We were seated in a wheelchair seating area up front. I did not ask for that. We would have been fine elsewhere. But, the CM's who were great, said their was plenty of seats for those in wheelchairs. So just stay where we are. Anyway. A lady in a wheelchair comes in with her family and I hear making comments about us sitting there to her family. I didn't see anything wrong with her except that she was in a motorized chair. I don't question her needing it, she shouldn't question me.
All I am saying its hard enough to deal with people who are fine and wonder why we are getting preferencial treatment on occasion. Without having to deal with other people who should know better. :confused3

*Please don't assume I am mentioning this about everyone in wheelchairs. I am sure its a small minority.*

A lot of people don't know what Autism or sensory issues are which really is unbelivable to me. When people say something to me my daughter seems to have great timing and screams in there face. (she does not like strangers talking to her or me sometimes) I just laugh it off. Not everyone is going to understand.
JenJen

Your post reminds me of me using my hanging handicapped parking permit. Just today I parked in a handicapped spot at BJ's. I know the lady next to me (also in a handicapped spot) looked at me with that "why is she using a handicapped parking permit" look.

It troubles me when people pass judgement. People never even think about those invisible disabilities. Then if my ds has a meltdown and starts kicking and accidently hits someone in those cramped lines, what would happen?!

I think people tend to only think of what they personally know.
There was a discussion once about handicapped parking and everyone in the discussion could see their own needs and how the parking permit would help them, but many did not realize why someone with disabilities other than their own might need a permit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter