Getting by no drink plan questions

I do the soda and more package on royal carribean. For me I'm not sure it breaks even to be honest but for my husband he definitely is better off. I will enjoy some of the coffee drinks and the bottled water and other convenient things to grab as well so even if its a bit more for me (and it would only be a bit since we don't do much for excursions on the cruise we have booked) I don't have a problem with paying it.

Although the official policy is technically against it, you can probably bring a case of bottled water on board with you. If you choose to do that, slap a Royal luggage tag on it, put it in one of those canvas-like grocery bags and tie the handles together. (They don't mind handling luggage with handles; without you're much less likely to get it delivered to your stateroom). Worst case you're out the cost of a case of water. (Many do this...And I would not recommend trying this with anything but water)

Although the official policy is technically against it, you can probably bring a case of bottled water on board with you. If you choose to do that, slap a Royal luggage tag on it, put it in one of those canvas-like grocery bags and tie the handles together. (They don't mind handling luggage with handles; without you're much less likely to get it delivered to your stateroom). Worst case you're out the cost of a case of water. (Many do this...And I would not recommend trying this with anything but water)

The policy has changed! As long as you carry it on yourself you can bring on your own non-alcoholic drinks:

"Royal Caribbean now allowing guests to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard. Royal Caribbean has updated its non-alcoholic beverage policy for guests, beginning on September 1st, 2018.

Guests bringing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages onboard are now required to do so in a carry-on or hand luggage, rather than in a checked bag.

The cruise line announced that guests will be able to bring small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages in a carry-on or hand luggage onboard only on boarding day. Checking in non-alcoholic beverages will no longer be permitted.

Specifically, non-alcoholic beverages brought onboard may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Distilled water or specialized beverages such as, milk for medical purposes, dietary or infant use, are permitted.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard any cruise ship, with the exception of being able to bring two bottles of wine per stateroom."

Drinking packages are really only worth the price if you intend on heavily utilizing the offers. My sister was going to get a pop card, until we did the math and realized it would just be more cost effective to simply pay the $3-$4 a night for the pop she orders at dinner. There wouldn't be a point in buying a pop card if she's only going to have a few pops during the duration of the entire trip.

I also opted out of getting an adult drink package, because when I crunched the numbers, I'd have to order like 6-7 adult drinks a day to really break even. I'm traveling with my dad, who is in recovery, my aunt, who doesn't drink, and my sister who will be 13, so there is no one for me to even "party" like that with. Even if I wanted to have my own personal party, 7 a day is just too much for me. I intend on having maybe a drink a day by the pool, or maybe pick a couple days to have 2-3 and catch a little buzz, but by no means will I need a drink card.

Just realistically consider what you will utilize and then make your decision based off that :)

RCCL also allows you to bring on 1 bottle of wine per adult in the room. I have done this. We were a party of two who tried to bring 4 bottles on board--2 were for friends who had their own cabin that boarded before us while we stopped to buy the wine--and they confiscated the 2 extra bottles and we got them back at the end of the cruise.

So if you were wine drinkers you could bring a little on board for your room.

It’s actually 2 (750mL) bottles per stateroom, not 1 per adult. So if you’re the only adult in the room... we’ll, let’s just say unless you’re Andre the Giant that’s quite a bit of wine for one.

Dh always gets the soda package, I never do. He drinks it constantly, so it is fine for him.
I drink water in the MDR and water or iced tea (I make it, can't stand it out of the machines) the rest of the time.
I bring a big Tervis tumbler with me and always have ice in the room

Regarding the 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, we have two rooms booked for a future cruise. On the reservation it has two teenagers listed in one room and my husband and I in the other. Since we have two staterooms can I bring four bottles of wine or only two since the two teenagers are listed on the one rooms?.

Technically it’s 2 bottles full stop. But if you all go through security together I’d guess that they’d allow it since you have 2 rooms

Even if I am close to breaking even, at a cost of $50ish per day +gratuity, we opt for the deluxe package. On sea days we definitely have no issue coming out ahead. Port days are harder and we're probably 50/50 on whether or not we actually come out ahead on those days but we arent really trying to drink for the sake of drinking.

Just got off RCI.

PLENTY of access to free drinks throughout ship.

Water, Ice Tea, Lemonade, a couple refreshing mixed fruit drinks.

While they ask you not refill from any reusable bottle,
take your drink bottle and then just fill it using a cup at station.
Then leave the cup with dirty ones.

I could totally cruise RCI again with no drink package at all and have options.

Just got off RCI.

PLENTY of access to free drinks throughout ship.

Water, Ice Tea, Lemonade, a couple refreshing mixed fruit drinks.

While they ask you not refill from any reusable bottle,
take your drink bottle and then just fill it using a cup at station.
Then leave the cup with dirty ones.

I could totally cruise RCI again with no drink package at all and have options.
I skip it everytime. Not worth the money in my opinion.

I skip it everytime. Not worth the money in my opinion.

You absolutely can get your monies worth. We had it last week, bought on sale, and even though we didn't work it hard, we for sure came out ahead. Now my DS had the Refreshment package and he for sure didn't get his monies worth but they forced him to buy it.

It is different for each person and what you like to drink.

You absolutely can get your monies worth. We had it last week, bought on sale, and even though we didn't work it hard, we for sure came out ahead. Now my DS had the Refreshment package and he for sure didn't get his monies worth but they forced him to buy it.

It is different for each person and what you like to drink.
Right, that's why for each person it varies. Some person who has 2 drinks at each meal would for sure benefit from having it. Me, I only have 1-2 a day, if that.

Do they still offer a coffee card? I am okay with not purchasing a beverage package but good coffee is another story :)

If kids do not have a soda package, what are their options for drinks at dinner in MDR?

Also, what is the lowest you have seen the soda package get to? I'm seeing $10/day now, does this package ever go on sale?

If kids do not have a soda package, what are their options for drinks at dinner in MDR?

Also, what is the lowest you have seen the soda package get to? I'm seeing $10/day now, does this package ever go on sale?

Last year on the Allure, it was water, milk, tea or lemonade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!