Getting from Grand Floridian to Hoop Dee Doo

GPC0321

DIS Veteran
Just wanting input on the options for getting to our 4:00pm Hoop Dee Doo reservation. I've never been to Fort Wilderness, and I'm trying to decide if the free transportation (monorail and then boat) will do, or if a Minnie Van would be worth the money? (never used a Minnie Van before either).

1. How long should I set aside for traveling via monorail/boat from GF to FW?
2. I've thought about the possibility of thunderstorms during this time frame. Could that temporarily stop boats from running?
3. I'm assuming a Minnie Van ride would obviously be much shorter. Ten minutes? Fifteen minutes? How much do they charge?
4. What is the process for getting a Minnie Van? (I should probably look to see if there is a thread here on the topic).

Just looking for information so that I can make an informed decision.

Disney advises to allow 1.5 hr if using their transportation. Don't forget to arrive before the 4:00pm start time to get your tickets.

Storms would shut down the boats.

Minnie Van is a great alternative. I'd request one 30 minutes before you want to arrive, so 3:00 for a 3:30 arrival.

Download the Lyft app. You'll see Minnie Vans as an option when you are in WDW only. Cost is $15 plus approximately $2.75/mile. Figure around $25 or so to get to HDDR. The MV will drop you off right at the show not at the front of the resort.

Disney advises to allow 1.5 hr if using their transportation. Don't forget to arrive before the 4:00pm start time to get your tickets.

Storms would shut down the boats.

Minnie Van is a great alternative. I'd request one 30 minutes before you want to arrive, so 3:00 for a 3:30 arrival.

Download the Lyft app. You'll see Minnie Vans as an option when you are in WDW only. Cost is $15 plus approximately $2.75/mile. Figure around $25 or so to get to HDDR. The MV will drop you off right at the show not at the front of the resort.
Awesome! This is exactly what I needed to know. I'll plan on doing the Minnie Van.

Thanks so much!

Keep in mind that there is sometimes a long wait for a MV. Just depends on demand. You can always take a Lyft or Uber but they will drop you at the front of the resort. You’d then have to take an internal bus to the show.

Keep in mind that there is sometimes a long wait for a MV. Just depends on demand. You can always take a Lyft or Uber but they will drop you at the front of the resort. You’d then have to take an internal bus to the show.
So, would your earlier suggestion of 3:00 be adequate for a 4:00 Hoop Dee Doo?

So, would your earlier suggestion of 3:00 be adequate for a 4:00 Hoop Dee Doo?

If taking the MV I’d request it by 3:00 at the latest. You have to allow time for it to arrive. It could come in 5 minutes or 15 minutes or not at all depending on availability. We have had plenty of times when we couldn’t get a MV.

It’s better to get there too early than too late.

If taking the MV I’d request it by 3:00 at the latest. You have to allow time for it to arrive. It could come in 5 minutes or 15 minutes or not at all depending on availability. We have had plenty of times when we couldn’t get a MV.

It’s better to get there too early than too late.
Okay, well the "not at all" and "couldn't get a MV" is making me second-guess this a little.

New Questions:
1. If we were to use Disney's free transportation from GF, would take the monorail to MK and then board a boat to Ft. Wilderness? Or isn't there a boat from Contemporary to Ft. Wilderness? If so would that be a better plan?
2. If 'yes' to any of the above, do we then have to take a bus to Pioneer Hall?
3. What time should we ideally be getting on the monorail at GF to make it to Pioneer Hall on time for our 4:00 reservation (realizing we have to get tickets once there)? 2:30? 2:00?
4. If the boats aren't running due to a thunderstorm, would we take the monorail to MK and then go to the buses and take a Ft. Wilderness bus? (Is there a Ft. Wilderness bus?)

Sorry! I just want to feel prepared! I mean...I only have 68 days to figure this out, LOL!
Thanks for your help so far and any other wisdom you (or anyone) can impart!

Start checking MV availability a bit earlier since your on a tight timeline. We have never not gotten one, but have had to wait.

Okay, well the "not at all" and "couldn't get a MV" is making me second-guess this a little.

New Questions:
1. If we were to use Disney's free transportation from GF, would take the monorail to MK and then board a boat to Ft. Wilderness? Or isn't there a boat from Contemporary to Ft. Wilderness? If so would that be a better plan?
2. If 'yes' to any of the above, do we then have to take a bus to Pioneer Hall?
3. What time should we ideally be getting on the monorail at GF to make it to Pioneer Hall on time for our 4:00 reservation (realizing we have to get tickets once there)? 2:30? 2:00?
4. If the boats aren't running due to a thunderstorm, would we take the monorail to MK and then go to the buses and take a Ft. Wilderness bus? (Is there a Ft. Wilderness bus?)

Sorry! I just want to feel prepared! I mean...I only have 68 days to figure this out, LOL!
Thanks for your help so far and any other wisdom you (or anyone) can impart!
There are boats from MK to FtW, and there are also boats from CR to FtW. The boats from MK are the large Cruisers, with enclosed cabins and also some outside seating. The boats from CR are the small Launches, with all seating outside under a canopy. The Cruisers can take wheelchairs and ecv's, but the Launches cannot because there is a step down from the dock to the deck.

I don't know which would be better, nor when you need to leave the resort. I have read posts from people who said they had to wait extra because the 1st boat from MK was full, but I don't know how often that happens, nor whether it's a problem at CR as well.

All of the boats to FtW dock at the same location, which is a short walk to Pioneer Hall & Hoop De Doo. You only need to take an internal shuttle if you arrive at FtW by bus from a park other than MK.

If boats from MK to FtW are shut down due to weather, buses will be available as replacements. In fact, I think the bus from MK to WL may also go to FtW in the afternoon and evening; that was true about a year ago. I'm pretty sure any buses from MK to FtW will stop right at Pioneer Hall.

Thanks for sharing the link, but is there a secret to finding what I'm looking for without scrolling through 300 pages? That might take longer than actually going from the GF to Hoop Dee Doo, LOL!

Lol sure, click on thread & use search function, top right side of page.

Btw, have used the boat often from both BLT, Poly & MK. I’d allow a minimum of 1-1/2 hours. HDD area is charming. Can walk to stables, let kids use playground, pick up your tix & get your picture taken under the big tree across from PH.

Often, the boat back ‘home’ has been cancelled. They have buses waiting for you nearby, no need to take the internal bus transportation system back to front of FW to transfer.

There was one instance where I had 2nd thoughts as to wisdom of the the boat running after HDD (last August). Captain said no problem, we’d be outrun the storm. We didn’t, was scary, surprised how choppy the water got just as we got in sight of MK. Weather moves fast there.

621080DC-8822-4936-AA3D-629FF9C20EFA.jpeg Naturallly, GD thought it was the best boat ride ever lol.

If the weather is not bad, I would recommend using Disney transportation. However, you will need to go through Disney security to use any of these options. In order of my preference:
*Monorail to MK, Green Flag Friendship boat to Fort Wilderness
*Monorail to Contemporary, Blue Flag Friendship boat to Fort Wilderness (this boat may stop at Wilderness Lodge prior to Fort Wilderness)
*Gold Flag Friendship boat to MK (with a stop at Polynesian), Green Flag Friendship boat to Fort Wilderness

The dock for the Friendship boats at Fort Wilderness is right near Hood De Doo, so once at FW, no additional transportation required. As others stated, Minnie Vans can also take you directly to HDD, so no additional transportation required. If you need to take any bus to FW, then you will need take an internal bus at FW to get to HDD.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/water.htm

Btw, have used the boat often from both BLT, Poly & MK.
To be clear, there is no boat from Poly directly to FtW.
The dock for the Friendship boats at Fort Wilderness
Again to be clear, they are not Friendship boats; that name only applies to the boats that serve the Epcot resorts and the ones on the WS Lagoon.
If you need to take any bus to FW, then you will need take an internal bus at FW to get to HDD.
Buses from MK to FtW, due to weather or otherwise, and from WL to FtW, go directly to Pioneer Hall; no internal shuttle needed. Buses from other locations will require use of the shuttle.

Don’t fret too much about not being able to get a MV. It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen. If we can’t get one we just use a regular Lyft. Then we’d take the internal bus to Pioneer Hall.

I'd Minnie Van over there and take resort transportation back. That way you get to experience both, but you don't have to worry about a time crunch to get to FW. The only time I have run into a MV not being available was Christmas Day. We went to Mickeys BYBBQ at FW via Minnie Van (which was no issue), but had problems getting one back to the BC. There weren't any around FW at that time. We probably waiting 15 minutes or so and then hopped on a bus to the MK and then BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter