Getting from London to Madrid via Gatwick or Stansted, which one?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
My family of four will need to get from London to Madrid later this summer. It looks like my cheapest options are Ryan Air out of Stansted or EasyJet out of Gatwick. We have flown Ryan Air in the past from Italy to Belgium so it is a known quantity and EasyJet looks to be a clone.

I am trying to figure out which airport is easier to get to early on a Wednesday morning when traveling from the London Marriott Hotel County Hall.

Cost wise Ryan Air is about $20 cheaper total with comparable addons included compared to EasyJet. The EasyJet flight leaves an hour earlier at 7:25am which is both a positive and a negative. It would mean getting started an hour earlier but would also mean we meet up with our group in Madrid earlier.

I am thinking the easiest would be to catch a cab or Uber from the hotel to Liverpool Street Station and then catch the Stansted express train. That flight leaves at 8:25am. I am also trying to figure out what time we would need to leave the hotel. How early do we need to get to the airport? I am thinking we would want to catch the Stansted Express that leaves Liverpool at 5:25, 5:40, 5:55, or 6:10 at the latest. That would have us arriving at the airport between just after 6:00 at the earliest to right around 7:00 at the latest. Which train would you catch?

Getting to Gatwick looks like a similar journey. A taxi or Uber from the hotel to Victoria station and then the Gatwick Express. We would need to catch the 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, or 5:45 trains arriving at 5:36-6:15 depending on start time. Again how early to arrive at Gatwick?

Any advice is appreciated.

You will need to be at the airport at least an hour before the flight leaves but also need to give yourself time to get from the station to check in, check in baggage if you are not travelling hand luggage only and get through security.

Ive never travelled to Stansted from London so can't comment on that but the train to Gatwick is a very easy journey. Gatwick has 2 terminals but they are connected by free shuttle train so its easy and very quick if your flight leaves from the other terminal.

Your other option is to go the night before and stay at the airport - they both have reasonably priced hotels on site - there is a premier inn at Gatwick which often has cheap rooms - this would mean you aren't rushing in the morning.

Also make sure you check additional costs for things like luggage - will one work out much cheaper once you add on these?

Usually for the budget airlines line Ryan Air and Easyjet, Check in opens at 2 hours before departure. As a frequent flyer on both these airlines, I defiantly would advise the 2 hours.

I have travelled from both Stansted and Gatwick on Ryan Air and Easyjet.

You are correct for travel to both these airports
Stansted Express from Liverpool Street and Gatwick Express from Victoria.

Check the distance on Google Maps from your hotel to Liverpool Street and from your hotel to Victoria.

Honestly, the only determining factor for me would be which is closer to the hotel, Liverpool Street or Victoria and the time of flights.

Personally I would pick the one which has the shortest distance to the train station.

Ended up finding a deal on British Airways so we will be flying out of Heathrow. The earliest train is 5:10 and should have us there around 5:40.

Am I going to be ok with a 7:20 flight?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!