Getting from San Diego to Hotel Del Coronado?

Sunny37

DIS Veteran
What would be the less expensive route? I have NO experience in this area! :sunny:

Thanks!

If you mean by car, you would take Freeway 5-south to the
Coronado Bridge-west go to Orange Ave-south(the main street
with the pine and palm tree island) and you can't miss it.
The bridge is now free.
Hope that helps. :)

A GoofyTigFig said:
If you mean by car, you would take Freeway 5-south to the
Coronado Bridge-west go to Orange Ave-south(the main street
with the pine and palm tree island) and you can't miss it.
The bridge is now free.
Hope that helps. :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. No, we won't have a car...but I will have a trolley pass.

The usual options apply...

A trolly pass will not take you over the bridge to Coronado Island. So you will have to get a lift there one way or another.

#1) rent a car - pay for parking, gas and so on - but gain total freedom with a degree of savings - depending on how much you need or use it.

#2) taxi around. This generally costs the most - and offers speed and convenience in most respects. IE, no parking, no going to and from parking, no getting lost driving around, etc.

#3) hop an airport shuttle. This is probably the most practical alternative if you are not doing a rental car. It is usually shared so you may have to wait while other patrons are dropped off ahead of you - and it is only for getting to and from the hotel.

#4) There probably is a city bus you could take to get there - but I can't confrim this - nor would I recommend this. After what you pay to fly and stay at the Del... coming up on a city bus would be pretty silly.

In the end I would recommend a car. The cost for 2 folks and a shuttle are about what a rental costs for a day. Then - if you want to go anywhere - you're gonna have to have a lift. A rental car seems like the most efficient. Now - if you're just staying T the Del the whole time then you obviously don't need a rental car.

I don't know if this helps - the distance is relatively short but still covers about 5-8 miles. As I recollect there is no longer a toll being collected to cross the bridge.

Thanks for the clearer info captaincrash :thumbsup2
Sorry I didn't understand the first time Sunny37
If you are going to Mexico by trolley and you want to visit
the Hotel Del, you might want to look at sdcommute
It lists all of San Diego's bus and trolley
information. The trolley also goes by the Embarcadero and
there is a passenger ferry that will take you to Coronado(but
I don't know if there is a bus from there to the hotel)
Hope that helps :)

You can only reach the Hotel del Coronado by motor vehicle, whether you rent it by the day, hire it by the mile or board it at a bus stop.

If you arrive in San Diego by air, each rental car company has shuttles that will pick you up at any terminal (they run all the time, no need to call one) and take you to the agency.

The San Diego Trolley has three main lines, one that goes north and south and 2 that traverse eastward. It can get you a few key places, but it is by no means an efficient way to see all the sights in town. You cannot reach the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, Sea World, or Coronado by trolley. You can see Old Town, SDSU, Petco Park and Tijuana. Like all mass transit in southern california, it's more of a novelty than a functional method of transportation.

Good Luck!!

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter