Getting Ice water, filling up water bottles

Scrappingjen

Mouseketeer
So Newbie question here. First trip to WDW in June so please understand. How easy is it to get free(tap) ice water in the parks? I am sure all the food places give free water but Do you have to wait in line or do they have a dispensers with cups available off to the side? Is the free water good?

My DD likes ICE water. Can you get free ice?

We are planning on carrying around 1 big yeti thermos but it will have to be refilled. Can we do that or is it frowned upon.

We are staying at YC my understanding is they don't have a cup refill station any tips for getting Ice at YC, do they have hotel ice machines around.

Ice water is super easy to get at the quick service places. No, you don't have to wait in line. Just go to the side and ask for a large cup of ice water. We used Klean Kanteens and filled them with ice from the resort each morning and poured the water we got into those. They are similar to the Yeti and keep ice frozen all day. I believe all of the resorts have ice machines.

Do you have a good summer plan of attack? Get out early (leave your resort an hour before rope drop if taking a bus) and come back to the resort right after lunch. Hang by the pool, take a nap, etc and then go back out around 4-5. That's what we did and it worked out really well. A water park day in the middle of our stay really helped keep us cool for an entire day and recharge. Have fun!

KSR thanks I was hoping that was the answer but didn't want to be surprised. Also didn't want to carry 2 heavy yetis. Or water bottles. We have the Deluxe dinning plan but want to get snacks not bottles of water with it ;-)

We have mornings planned with breakfasts at 8:05 or 8:15 all but 2 mornings. Fast pass starting at around 10 and going till 1 ish except FOP its at 2:30 earliest I could get. Then afternoons with nothing so we can go to the pool or water park but I think the pool mostly.

I was planning on us leaving the room at around 7:30am is that not early enough for bus transportation? Epcot (2 days) we will walk to.

Dinners are all over the place Cinderella castle, California Grill (most excited), 'OHana, Cape May fingers crossed for crab legs, Yachtsman, Artist Point, Chefs de France. After dinner we can do whatever go back to park or resort. I would like to see Pandora at night but its a maybe at best

Many QS places have small cups of ice water ready to go - you can ask for as many as you need.

Also, you will need to leave your room much before 7:30am for an 8:05/8:15 breakfast reservation at MK or AK. For HS you might be ok if you plan on walking and walk quickly. But if you plan to sign up for Jedi Training before breakfast you will want to leave earlier. Epcot you should be fine.

It depends on the QS, some have cups of water available, some have a separate line for them and some you actually have to stand in line. Some put ice in them, some don't. Any of the QS that have a soft drink dispenser will just give you a cup and you can fill it with ice and water. Some will give you medium cups, some small kids cups. I never carry a water bottle or container, just go into whatever QS is close when I want water and get whatever they have.

KSR thanks I was hoping that was the answer but didn't want to be surprised. Also didn't want to carry 2 heavy yetis. Or water bottles. We have the Deluxe dinning plan but want to get snacks not bottles of water with it ;-)

We have mornings planned with breakfasts at 8:05 or 8:15 all but 2 mornings. Fast pass starting at around 10 and going till 1 ish except FOP its at 2:30 earliest I could get. Then afternoons with nothing so we can go to the pool or water park but I think the pool mostly.

I was planning on us leaving the room at around 7:30am is that not early enough for bus transportation? Epcot (2 days) we will walk to.

Dinners are all over the place Cinderella castle, California Grill (most excited), 'OHana, Cape May fingers crossed for crab legs, Yachtsman, Artist Point, Chefs de France. After dinner we can do whatever go back to park or resort. I would like to see Pandora at night but its a maybe at best

If taking the bus, I would leave the resort at least an hour before you need to be where you're going.

Pandora at night is amazing!

Just something to think about- the ice machines at the hotel are not the cleanest. We've used them for packing our cooler but never for drinking. Many kids love to go fill up the ice buckets and stick their hands in there, or cough into it, etc. We once had the joy of seeing a kid lay their HUGE lollipop IN THE ICE so he could use both hands to fill up the bucket :sick:
We have found the quick service places to be generous and have never had a problem getting ice water from them.

Last edited:

Just something to think about- the ice machines at the hotel are not the cleanest. We use them for packing our cooler but never for drinking. Many kids love to go fill up the ice buckets and stick their hands in there, or cough into it, etc. We once had the joy of seeing a kid lay their HUGE lollipop IN THE ICE so he could use both hands to fill up the bucket :sick:
We have found the quick service places to be generous and have never had a problem getting ice water from them.

I've only been to about 6 resorts at disney, but those have a machine that has a chute that spits out ice. Not a bin, that you scoop out.

I've only been to about 6 resorts at disney, but those have a machine that has a chute that spits out ice. Not a bin, that you scoop out.
Thats great to know! Since our unfortunate experience(s) many years ago, we've never even looked. Maybe they've been updated?

So Newbie question here. First trip to WDW in June so please understand. How easy is it to get free(tap) ice water in the parks? I am sure all the food places give free water but Do you have to wait in line or do they have a dispensers with cups available off to the side? Is the free water good?

My DD likes ICE water. Can you get free ice?

We are planning on carrying around 1 big yeti thermos but it will have to be refilled. Can we do that or is it frowned upon.

We are staying at YC my understanding is they don't have a cup refill station any tips for getting Ice at YC, do they have hotel ice machines around.
So glad you have asked this question.
This is actually a big pet peeve of mine. There is plenty of free ice water in the parks and absolutely no need to purchase the expensive bottled water, or to bring water with you or refill containers. You will get the hang of it. Others have explained it well. Each place may be different. Sometimes we even ask for a cup of water along with other drink we might’ve ordered with our meal. You don’t necessarily have to go thru the line to get water. Some don’t care for the taste, but free tastes great to me! Stay hydrated!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter