Getting my 1st serger tomorrow...any tips for me?

graygables

<font color=blue>Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K P
Advice? Instructions? I've never used one before, so I'm excited about my new toy!

Did it come with any classes? I know I was WAY confused with mine till I took the class. I just told myself that I was never going to unthread it... :lmao: But I use it alot, and it is a great machine!

ddavis860 said:
I just told myself that I was never going to unthread it... :lmao:
I think that is the very best advice you can give...NEVER UNTHREAD IT! I don't use mine very often anymore, but when I did, every time I tried to change colors, I could never get it threaded right. There are so many tiny areas that you have to feed the thread through that are really hard to get to. I finally learned to tied together the old thread and the new thread and then just pull it through until all of the new colors were at the needle.

The previous poster was correct. The absolute easiest way to thread the serger is to leave the existing threads in place, then ..... TURN ALL THE TENSION DIALS TO "0" TENSION, tie the new thread to the old, pull it through, then re-set all the tensions. If you leave the tensions in place, very frequently the threads will come untied or break. I bought my first serger in 1988 and am now on my second, so I've been doing this for a long time now and have learned the hard way.

excellent tip! Thank you, I never would have thought of that and now that I see it, I don't *ever* want to thread that thing! :rotfl2: I have a differential feed, but it doesn't seem to be working to gather the fabric. I'm getting a ruffler for my regular machine, so I don't really need it, I guess, I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. BTW, I bought it online, so no classes for me. :(

graygables said:
excellent tip! Thank you, I never would have thought of that and now that I see it, I don't *ever* want to thread that thing! :rotfl2: I have a differential feed, but it doesn't seem to be working to gather the fabric. I'm getting a ruffler for my regular machine, so I don't really need it, I guess, I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. BTW, I bought it online, so no classes for me. :(

Mine doesn't have a differential feed, so I don't know if it's a machine thing. I do know that I'm sorry I didn't spend the extra for one because it helps when you are feeding different fabrics. They go through smoothly, and don't shift as much...I think it helps for more than just gathering, I think it helps keep things from puckering too. I may be wrong....

Is there a sewing shop near you that can help you out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter