Getting scared.. second thoughts

I thought I would share something that helped us on our first trip. My son is on the spectrum. He was 6 on our first visit. We figured this out after a HUGE meltdown on our first day in the park. The 'black box' rides (the ones that are inside and you can't see what they do) were causing a lot of anxiety. It really helped him to visit a favorite several times. The anxiety would melt away while waiting for something where he knew exactly what would happen. For him, that was 'It's a Small World'. After an inordinate amount of convincing, we got him to ride it for the first time. After getting off, he looked at me and said, "That is a really good song". We rode 9 times that day (no lines). He would try a new ride or two, then back to IASM. We lasted quite a long time in the park doing that. WDW is now one of my kids favorite places and we go every year.

I thought I would share something that helped us on our first trip. My son is on the spectrum. He was 6 on our first visit. We figured this out after a HUGE meltdown on our first day in the park. The 'black box' rides (the ones that are inside and you can't see what they do) were causing a lot of anxiety. It really helped him to visit a favorite several times. The anxiety would melt away while waiting for something where he knew exactly what would happen. For him, that was 'It's a Small World'. After an inordinate amount of convincing, we got him to ride it for the first time. After getting off, he looked at me and said, "That is a really good song". We rode 9 times that day (no lines). He would try a new ride or two, then back to IASM. We lasted quite a long time in the park doing that. WDW is now one of my kids favorite places and we go every year.

Oh my gosh, yes! This brought back memories of my son's first time on rides! The dark rides (the indoor ones that supposedly are "easy" for most kids) like Alice or Peter Pan were absolutely terrifying for him. We watched a lot of ride through videos before he'd go on any of them. It's given him a lot more confidence - he actually went on Guardians (Tower of Terror in WDW) on our last trip and LOVED it. The drops are actually soothing for him (go figure!). He kept asking to go back on it constantly for the rest of the trip.

Another thing I found helpful when my kids were that small... if you are using a stroller and DAS, go ahead and ask them to give you a stroller as a wheelchair sticker. It’s lets you take the stroller through the ques, restaurants, shops...anywhere a wheelchair is allowed. To me it was a lifesaver to keep my boys sitting in the chair right up until we were getting on the ride. Because my son would get excited and bolt towards the ride. My upcoming trip is going to be the first sans stroller and that what’s giving me the most anxiety. Especially since you don’t have another adult to help you.
Rope drop has never worked for us. But we try to to the parks before 10 and stay until close. The parks really clear out the last hour or so and we get lots of rides in with pretty much no wait even without using the DAS. But my kid is a night owl so he doesn’t mind being awake until midnight or later

I can’t agree more with the advice about using a stroller and the DAS system if your son has difficulty with lines. We did a “well, we’ll see if he needs a stroller” approach in September (my son is also 6 and has ASD). That lasted all of 30 minutes before the meltdown cues started. We hightailed it back to the front and rented a stroller for the whole trip. It helped so much. It’s so important to set your expectations at a reasonable level. My son doesn’t have all-day park touring capabilities, so we never pack our schedules with plans. Quick service options work better for us because we never know how the day will go until we’re in it! We spend a LOT of time decompressing in the hotel. Out of 7 days, we only park hopped once last trip. We have to take it slow but that’s fine.

Thank you. We will do rope drops as the family usually sets out early in regular mornings anyways. I’m a nurse so I work 7-3 so we are all up out the door by 615ish..
Because we are such early morning people we are usually in bed fairly early. I’m fully expecting to be leaving the parks early with the two littles quick swim take out from hotel counter service dinner in hotel room and letting the big kids stay at parks later ( they will be 17 and 13 by Easter and my 17 year old has been the second adult in the house for years..I’m beyond blessed to have him straight A, rep hockey looks after all his younger siblings made full turkey dinner when I worked thanksgiving he’s incredible)

I can’t agree more with the advice about using a stroller and the DAS system if your son has difficulty with lines. We did a “well, we’ll see if he needs a stroller” approach in September (my son is also 6 and has ASD). That lasted all of 30 minutes before the meltdown cues started. We hightailed it back to the front and rented a stroller for the whole trip. It helped so much. It’s so important to set your expectations at a reasonable level. My son doesn’t have all-day park touring capabilities, so we never pack our schedules with plans. Quick service options work better for us because we never know how the day will go until we’re in it! We spend a LOT of time decompressing in the hotel. Out of 7 days, we only park hopped once last trip. We have to take it slow but that’s fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter