Getting sick of Amazon and delivery mess-ups

ThisIsJason

DIS Veteran
Around three months ago or so Amazon started doing delivery with its own logistics operation around here. About 90% of the stuff I ordered was now shipped via this method with the rest coming from USPS/FedEx/UPS. I though finally everything would get to me on time for the most part because of this, but nope. It now seems worse. One day shipping becomes two-day. Two-day becomes 3 if not 4.

Then this happens:
Placed a order Monday afternoon. A Tuesday delivery with Amazon was stated. Tuesday morning Amazon claims the stuff is out for delivery, and would be to me by 2PM. 2PM became 4PM, then 6PM, then by 9PM. Then it updates with due to a shipping problem it will now be delivered between 5/23-5/27. I called Amazon about it this afternoon. They have no idea where the order even is. It went from a Amazon warehouse onto a Amazon truck, but they can't find it. Unbelievable.

The guy I talked with (who was very nice about the whole thing) offered to extend my Prime membership by a month and offered me a 15% refund due to the problem. I told him I would take the 15% but not the extra month. I am done with Prime once my membership is done. It is becoming more of a hassle then it is worth.

I wrote a very similar post about Amazon Logistics.

I am letting my Prime expire June 2nd. I don’t see any reason to continue with Amazon Logistics doing the deliveries.

Our Prime lapsed last week. Too much of what we order was not Prime Eligible, and the non-Prime stuff was arriving in the same time, so not worth the money.
Amazon handles logistics here too. We have noticed no difference.

Our delivery is o.k. and the free shipping to our grand kids across the country is very convenient. However, our account keeps getting hacked. Yes, we have protection, but we have to keep shutting down the account, and it's getting to be more trouble than its worth.

Around three months ago or so Amazon started doing delivery with its own logistics operation around here. About 90% of the stuff I ordered was now shipped via this method with the rest coming from USPS/FedEx/UPS. I though finally everything would get to me on time for the most part because of this, but nope. It now seems worse. One day shipping becomes two-day. Two-day becomes 3 if not 4.

Then this happens:
Placed a order Monday afternoon. A Tuesday delivery with Amazon was stated. Tuesday morning Amazon claims the stuff is out for delivery, and would be to me by 2PM. 2PM became 4PM, then 6PM, then by 9PM. Then it updates with due to a shipping problem it will now be delivered between 5/23-5/27. I called Amazon about it this afternoon. They have no idea where the order even is. It went from a Amazon warehouse onto a Amazon truck, but they can't find it. Unbelievable.

The guy I talked with (who was very nice about the whole thing) offered to extend my Prime membership by a month and offered me a 15% refund due to the problem. I told him I would take the 15% but not the extra month. I am done with Prime once my membership is done. It is becoming more of a hassle then it is worth.

I don't have Amazon Prime as I have been able to get shipments from Walmart & Target with free shipping over $35 for my pantry items. Unfortunately, they aren't any better. I've noticed both of those stores list a higher online price on items bought online vs. in the store. So much for "free shipping." :rolleyes: Also, the majority of items I used to get from Walmart, they no longer list as available online, only in store.

And Target, for the life of them, can't seem to figure out how to PACK and ship multiple items of canned goods. They seem to think those sealed bags of air they use for packing are enough to stop canned goods from hurling around a too flimsy cardboard box for the weight of the contents. :confused3 Once one bag breaks, a 16 oz can is loose. That's enough to break all the other bags. Then ALL of the cans going banging around the inside of the box, denting each other and eventually breaking through the flimsy cardboard box. They actually had to resend a whole shipment recently because UPS reported the shipment damaged beyond being salvageable. EVERYTHING must have gone flying all over the conveyor belt. :duck: Other times, I know UPS sealed up the holes & rips in the sides of the boxes to contain what's inside, because Target couldn't bother to properly tape up the boxes themselves with more than one piece of tape. This has happened to me more than once. So, I'm sure many, many other customers have had the same thing happen to them too. :sad2:

Last edited:
Funny cause I just ordered 6 large indoor/outdoor fans with Prime delivery guaranteed delivery today (Wednesday). ONE fan showed up. The other 5 it now says will be here tomorrow. If they don't show up I will raise a stink.

We live off of Prime deliveries and have never had issues. Usually things get here earlier than expected even. But we are close to one of their major facilities. Ours still come the majority of the time via UPS and then sometimes via the private couriers in their private vehicles. If and when we ever have issues is ALWAYS when they hand it off to USPS for whatever reason. USPS loses it or delays it 90% of the time.

I wrote a very similar post about Amazon Logistics.

I am letting my Prime expire June 2nd. I don’t see any reason to continue with Amazon Logistics doing the deliveries.
You should consider proactively cancelling. You can do it now, and your membership will run until about noon on the 2nd. At least mine did.

We've had Prime for years & also order 2 day shipping from Walmart. If we don't get a delivery on time, it's always due to USPS. We have one postal carrier that refuses to leave the vehicle to deliver a package. We get a notice in the mailbox, with a lame excuse, that tells us we can schedule another delivery or pick it up at the PO. When the other driver is working, he gets out & puts the boxes on the porch. UPS & FedEx do the same. IMO, the USPS driver that refuses to leave the vehicle should be fired.

When this happens with Amazon, they always refund something. With Walmart, we have to wait on the guy that actually does his job to be working.

We've had Prime for years & also order 2 day shipping from Walmart. If we don't get a delivery on time, it's always due to USPS. We have one postal carrier that refuses to leave the vehicle to deliver a package. We get a notice in the mailbox, with a lame excuse, that tells us we can schedule another delivery or pick it up at the PO. When the other driver is working, he gets out & puts the boxes on the porch. UPS & FedEx do the same. IMO, the USPS driver that refuses to leave the vehicle should be fired.

When this happens with Amazon, they always refund something. With Walmart, we have to wait on the guy that actually does his job to be working.

OMG. That’s exactly what USPS does to us. WTH! I literally watched him leave a sorry we missed you note while I was staring out the window. He never came to the door like he said he did. And then USPS wants me to drive 15 minutes and stand in an hour line at their facility. Heck no! That package gets cancelled at that point. Amazon should really stop working with them.

I ordered clarinet reeds and had them sent to school instead of home. When I checked the delivery details it said the package was out for delivery at 9:20 am. At 3:40 that afternoon I received an email that stated "business was closed so package was not deliverable." Many of us are there before 7 and our school day doesn't end until 4:10. Needless to say I was a bit cranky. I let them know that I was cranky and that if the delivery person was going to lie then he or she probably wasn't the right fit for the position. The reeds were delivered the next day.

OMG. That’s exactly what USPS does to us. WTH! I literally watched him leave a sorry we missed you note while I was staring out the window. He never came to the door like he said he did. And then USPS wants me to drive 15 minutes and stand in an hour line at their facility. Heck no! That package gets cancelled at that point. Amazon should really stop working with them.

I feel your pain. I'm always home, but one carrier constantly goes through the available excuses. Her preferred excuse appears to be that there isn't a secure place to leave it. Apparently, a covered porch isn't secure enough for her. :sad2: The other USPS carrier, FedEx & UPS don't have a security issue. I really don't know how she gets away with it, because we've never had a package stolen.

I have Prime and haven’t had a problem. Most of mine comes USPS.

You must have a good postal carrier. My dad was a postal carrier. He would be appalled at the service we get here.

It turns out that Amazon Logistics it not really Amazon. Each truck is independently owned and as a result while some may get great service, some may get horrible service.

From https://logistics.amazon.com/
Logistics experience not required
Use our technology, processes, and more than 20 years of logistics experience to set up and run your delivery business.

I don't think the person who owns and manages the trucks in Metro Atlanta has any logistics experience and it shows.

We had a disaster at Christmas last year, we ordered a bunch of stuff... and it was all available, paid for up graded shipping... then 2 days later I get a notice from Amazon that only one of the 12 things that we purchased was going to make in time for Christmas... Nope... So we called Amazon and cancelled our order, that was a complete nightmare...after being on the phone for almost 2 hours we finally got the whole order cancelled...

Their customer service sucks...

I really really try to avoid amazon at all cost...

The delivery business is a leeettttlllle bit more complicated than they think, I think. I'll be curious to see whether they can figure it out. Having been inside a UPS warehouse, it's a work of wonder, and explains why they are pretty darn successful at what they do. I can't imagine starting from scratch and being able to "get it right" in short order. We get very little "Amazon" delivery here. It's mainly UPS and USPS, and both of them given me virtually no problems.

I have had good luck with their deliveries--except for one thing that was 2 day when I ordered it but then wasn't available. Yesterday morning I put in an order for more Feliway refills for our cat and selected 1 day delivery since it was included with Prime. The package was delivered about 6pm.

My one complaint is they don't ring the doorbell when they make a delivery. They take the time to snap a pic of the item on the porch but don't push the button. There have been numerous times we've been home when they delivered but didn't know the package was there until I looked on the computer and saw the picture. :cool:

I'm sure this is one of those things that vary from location to location. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the Amazon delivery trucks are actually independent contractors. That's how FedEx is. Those white FedEx trucks making local deliveries to your house are probably owned by a private company, such as "John Smith Courier Service". They can be hit or miss.

For us Amazon is just about always, if not completely always, spot on with delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!