Getting sick on Disney World transportation

There have been threads where people get very upset when someone goes to work, school, grocery store or WDW when they are actively coughing and sneezing. If i don’t have a fever i leave my house. I’ve had a nasty cough from a bad cold for two weeks. My asthma made it worse. I still went to work and lived life. If i were at WDW i would’ve went to the parks too. Life doesn’t stop over a cold.
The OP commented about having to force themselves to get out of bed and then looking for a trashcan (bin), presumably to throw up in, afterwards. And all of this after complaining about sick people on the bus at Disney World.

As long as you aren't coughing all over me or my work space, I don't care what you do when you are sick. (You=general public) The problem comes when people figure it is just a cold, what difference does it make if it is spread.

There have been threads where people get very upset when someone goes to work, school, grocery store or WDW when they are actively coughing and sneezing. If i don’t have a fever i leave my house. I’ve had a nasty cough from a bad cold for two weeks. My asthma made it worse. I still went to work and lived life. If i were at WDW i would’ve went to the parks too. Life doesn’t stop over a cold.

I don’t mind when people go out with a cold, as long as they aren’t spewing germs everywhere. Little kids mostly don’t cover their mouths when they cough. I keep my son home if he has a bad cough or a river running out of his nose.

Life doesn’t stop I’ve a cold, unless you have to admit your toddler to the hospital with one (that he picked up at Disney, no less).

My 3-year-old's "cold" turned out to be RSV, which put my infant daughter in the hospital for 8 days, and there were more than a few times that I really didn't think we would be bringing her home. It gave me a whole different perspective on isolating oneself when sick. No, life doesn't stop, but people who are contagious need to be thoughtful of those in our community who are medically fragile.

My 3-year-old's "cold" turned out to be RSV, which put my infant daughter in the hospital for 8 days, and there were more than a few times that I really didn't think we would be bringing her home. It gave me a whole different perspective on isolating oneself when sick. No, life doesn't stop, but people who are contagious need to be thoughtful of those in our community who are medically fragile.
I couldn't tell you the number of times that someone I know, a friend, has come up to me and hugged me, while sick. At least one did it with a fever, not just a cold. I couldn't believe it.

I have 2 chronic illnesses and take multiple medications that trash my immune system. And almost every time I am out, I am amazed at what people who are sick will do.

I'm that crazy lady with the Lysol wipes.... you see on airplanes that wipes the seat, arm rest, screen off, I even take then with me to the bathroom, to grab the door handle and lock, and use to touch anything in the bathroom... I wipes the tables in the quick serve off including the chairs too, When we head into any hotel room, after checking for bedbugs, I wipe everything down... and do it again when returning to the room, you can't be sure if your housekeeper is sick or what..... I am a hand washing machine, and hand sanitizer dealer... I make my family crazy with it sometimes...But now my DD is a mom she does the same thing... I wipe off shopping carts, when I am at the gym I wipe off my machine before I even think about starting to use it... I keep Lysol wipes in my purse..... I worked in healthcare... not gonna go into details:crazy2::scared::scared1:....

I have another thought.... could you have allergies? I do and this time of year the pollen is crazy bad... you might just need some OTC allergy med's.

We use airborne when we travel, plus a few weeks before we go... I start pushing more vitamin C just to boost up our immune system. Flu shots are a must...

You do know that you are compromising your immune system by using those wipes? Unless you are wearing gloves every time you touch the wipes, you are killing off the good bacteria on your own skin, the bacteria that actually protects you from getting sick?

You do know that you are compromising your immune system by using those wipes? Unless you are wearing gloves every time you touch the wipes, you are killing off the good bacteria on your own skin, the bacteria that actually protects you from getting sick?

I can see your point... I don't walk around with a Lysol wipe 24 -7... I have them if need them... and will use them if I feel I need to... With the training I have had, and the things I have seen in healthcare....:scared1:,

I also have asthma, severe allergies, and a food allergy so I have to pay close attention to so that I don't walk into something that could make me have a reaction, and take precaution to prevent having some event...

I have 2 chronic illnesses and take multiple medications that trash my immune system. And almost every time I am out, I am amazed at what people who are sick will do.

Everyone handles these situations different. I have medical conditions as well, requiring meds that lower my immune system, quite possibly the same one you use (I think "trash" it is quite an overstatement), but I've got to live my life. I may be one of those that you are "amazed" at what sick people do. I have a job I need to work, kids I have to look after, a life to live, etc..

Yup. We rarely get sick and I think a big part of that is I don't over do it with trying to get rid of germs all of the time. Even when my kids were little I didn't boil all of their things. If something fell on the floor sometimes I didn't even wipe it off before they put it back in their mouth. I'm a pretty relaxed parent. I also work in a hospital so I'm exposed to all kinds of things all of the time. The most I do is make sure we wash our hands often. But every time I get home from vacation I get a cold. I think it's mostly the flying that dries out my membranes and makes me more likely to get sick.

Last edited:
Yup. We rarely get sick and I think a big part of that is I don't over do it with trying to get rid of germs all of the time. Even when my kids were little I didn't boil all of their things. If something fell on the floor sometimes I didn't even wipe it off before they put it back in their mouth. I'm a pretty relaxed parent. I also work in a hospital so I'm exposed to all kinds of things all of the time. The most I do is make sure we wash our hands often. But every time I get home from vacation I get a cold. I think it's mostly the flying that dries out my membranes and makes me more likely to get sick.

Yep, this is us too. Not that we don't take care of our kids...or ourselves, but we're quite relaxed from that standpoint. Having raised a set of twins, I can tell you not everything got boiled, cleaned obsessively, etc... There were times during middle of the night feedings when I couldn't remember who's bottle was who's. I just said :confused3 and took a wild guess. I had to be right 50% of the time...LOL

Everyone handles these situations different. I have medical conditions as well, requiring meds that lower my immune system, quite possibly the same one you use (I think "trash" it is quite an overstatement), but I've got to live my life. I may be one of those that you are "amazed" at what sick people do. I have a job I need to work, kids I have to look after, a life to live, etc..
My "amazed" is what they do to me. They hug me, sneeze on me, cough on me. If you do that, and admit it, I am not only amazed, I am appalled.

My "amazed" is what they do to me. They hug me, sneeze on me, cough on me. If you do that, and admit it, I am not only amazed, I am appalled.

I can't say I've ever had an adult walk up to me and openly sneeze right on me or cough on me. Near me, sure, but blatantly right on me, no. Nor would I do that. If that's happening to you, I feel for you. My kids on the other hand, when they were younger... :crazy:

I expect a lot of factors contribute to your vacation illness pattern - including the buses, but also likely:
dry, recirculated air on planes
handrails and things at the parks
less rest than normal
less healthy eating than normal
more alcohol consumption than normal?
stress leading up to the trip as you get everything ready

I think you just have to take reasonable precautions and hope for the best. We:
Start taking Airborne (or extra vitamins) a few days before our trip.
Wipe down the tray tables, etc. on the plane.
Wipe down the TV remote and light switches in the hotel room.
Wash before eating when we can.
Avoid touching our faces!

That last one is huge. On days that I substitute teach, I know that I touch lots of germs with my hands - but I've trained myself not to spread them to my eyes, mouth, etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/classroom-experiment-reveals-quickly-germs-spread-26755003

Yep, this is us too. Not that we don't take care of our kids...or ourselves, but we're quite relaxed from that standpoint. Having raised a set of twins, I can tell you not everything got boiled, cleaned obsessively, etc... There were times during middle of the night feedings when I couldn't remember who's bottle was who's. I just said :confused3 and took a wild guess. I had to be right 50% of the time...LOL

I even let my kids play with sick kids. The only time I may say don't bring your kid around is if they tested positive for the flu or have a stomach bug. And thankfully my kids rarely get sick.

As I write this, I’m cooped up in bed at POR.

For the second Disney vacation in a row, my DW and I have contracted a cold like illness (sickness and coughing). At home we’re normally super healthy and rarely get ill but it’s a different matter at Disney World.

I think it’s down to the transportation. They pack the busses and most times there are a few people who are coughing or sneezing. This gets pumped round by the air con. It’s made us super apprehensive to get the busses in future. Not a good way to be spending our time on a trip that’s cost the best part of $5k!

We’ve decided to just get taxis around in-future to limit the risk.

Has anyone else experienced this?
It was more likely caused by all the communal touching required at WDW: ticket finger scanner, ride restraints, etc.

Keeping sanitizer and sanitizing wipes on hand at all times is key, hand washing frequently -I look at everything as if it were contaminated- so don't touch door handles with your bare hands, don't touch any railings, don't touch tables -- pretty much any surface look at it as if someone coughed or sneezed all over it. Could it be that you have environmental allergies to something in FL that isn't at home? There are many different plants that could be blooming that could be causing this cold/cough. Some peoples allergies really do a job on them almost making them feel sick. It generally takes a few days for virus to really develop into a cold so if you came down with these symptoms right when you started your trip you likely caught something at home or it is allergies.

I can see your point... I don't walk around with a Lysol wipe 24 -7... I have them if need them... and will use them if I feel I need to... With the training I have had, and the things I have seen in healthcare....:scared1:,

I also have asthma, severe allergies, and a food allergy so I have to pay close attention to so that I don't walk into something that could make me have a reaction, and take precaution to prevent having some event...

Sorry you have the allergies and asthma. Weren't there studies done years go that showed kids were getting asthma/allergies at an alarming rate because their parents were germophobes? I know my germophobe cousin's husband had a son with severe asthma.

Keeping sanitizer and sanitizing wipes on hand at all times is key, hand washing frequently -I look at everything as if it were contaminated- so don't touch door handles with your bare hands, don't touch any railings, don't touch tables -- pretty much any surface look at it as if someone coughed or sneezed all over it. Could it be that you have environmental allergies to something in FL that isn't at home? There are many different plants that could be blooming that could be causing this cold/cough. Some peoples allergies really do a job on them almost making them feel sick. It generally takes a few days for virus to really develop into a cold so if you came down with these symptoms right when you started your trip you likely caught something at home or it is allergies.

You can touch all those things, safely. Just wash your hands before you eat and don't touch your face.

Sorry you have the allergies and asthma. Weren't there studies done years go that showed kids were getting asthma/allergies at an alarming rate because their parents were germophobes? I know my germophobe cousin's husband had a son with severe asthma.

That’s one theory, but there are many causes for asthma and allergies. I had horrible asthma as a child and am also a seasonal allergy sufferer. All of these anti microbial things didn’t exist when I was a child, at least not to the extent they do today. My mom also had severe asthma and is an allergy sufferer, and my dad is an allergy sufferer. They certainly didn’t have the same kind of antimicrobial stuff as kids. My son showed asthma symptoms around 14 months old and landed in the hospital at 18 months (after getting sick at Disney, in fact). I feel like 14 months is pretty young for antimicrobial products to have been the cause. I guess I’m a little germaphobey, particularly when it comes to washing hands before eating. But admitting a toddler to the hospital is an awful experience and one I don’t want to repeat. I mean, I take him to music class, the children’s museum, the park, etc. He’s exposed to germs. I just don’t want him putting disgusting fingers all over his food.

I would also add that most people do not receive the quality sleep/care they need before and during travel. Most people book flight times really early in the morning or late at night which are usually times when they would be sleeping. Also, because they are in a rush to travel people often forget to take care of themselves in the hustle and bustle like eating quality meals, staying hydrated, keeping warm, etc. Make sure you take care of yourself days before you travel and always carry hand sanitizer.

I think this:

Keeping sanitizer and sanitizing wipes on hand at all times is key, hand washing frequently -I look at everything as if it were contaminated- so don't touch door handles with your bare hands, don't touch any railings, don't touch tables -- pretty much any surface look at it as if someone coughed or sneezed all over it.

is going a little too far. Never allowing myself to touch a door handle, railing, or table would stress me out way more than an occasional cold. But I do think this:

Could it be that you have environmental allergies to something in FL that isn't at home? There are many different plants that could be blooming that could be causing this cold/cough. Some peoples allergies really do a job on them almost making them feel sick. It generally takes a few days for virus to really develop into a cold so if you came down with these symptoms right when you started your trip you likely caught something at home or it is allergies.

is a great point! If you've come from far away, there would definitely be different things blooming than you're used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter