Getting sick on Disney World transportation

is going a little too far. Never allowing myself to touch a door handle, railing, or table would stress me out way more than an occasional cold. But I do think this:
I think being very mindful of where your hands have been and what you are doing with them is important. I work in healthcare, dialysis specifically and we have to assume that there could be blood everywhere so if we touch something you better have gloves on (not that you would do this in disney) and/or washing/sanitize before you move on to a different task. Pretty much in my daily life i look at many ordinary things as being contaminated -- it has been drilled into me.

For example - It is very easy to be sitting at a table in a restaurant hands touching the table and then maybe you rub your eye or touch your nose or mouth and poof you have now picked up what is on the table. (Because you know there was that gross party before you and Grandpa or little Timmy just went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands). Forks sitting on the table are the worst -- now you are going to be putting that in your mouth!! I always hope that the restaurant properly cleans the tables, but I am sure that cleaning solution doesn't kill all bacteria or virus out there. Nor are they wiping the table properly. And usually to have a cleaner be effective at killing these things the solution usually has to sit on the surface for 5+ minutes. Kids are horrible with this stuff. So it may not be the adults coughing/sneezing all over the tables but those germy kids (yes i have 3 so i know how gross they can be).

Sorry for the rant, but when i get thinking about things everything is bad -- but it is true that frequent hand washing is probably our best combat against getting these bacteria or viruses.

We are leaving in a week -- when we get on the plane i do plan on wiping down the table and arm rests -- any hard surface-because you know the airline is not cleaning any of that stuff between flights, so all those people before you who have been coughing and sneezing all over the seats and table is just leaving germs all over the place.

We just do what we can to stay healthy and hope that no one gets sick while we are there, but if i were to be sick i would rather be down at disney instead of sitting in my living room!

I think being very mindful of where your hands have been and what you are doing with them is important. I work in healthcare, dialysis specifically and we have to assume that there could be blood everywhere so if we touch something you better have gloves on (not that you would do this in disney) and/or washing/sanitize before you move on to a different task. Pretty much in my daily life i look at many ordinary things as being contaminated -- it has been drilled into me.

For example - It is very easy to be sitting at a table in a restaurant hands touching the table and then maybe you rub your eye or touch your nose or mouth and poof you have now picked up what is on the table. (Because you know there was that gross party before you and Grandpa or little Timmy just went to the bathroom and didn't wash their hands). Forks sitting on the table are the worst -- now you are going to be putting that in your mouth!! I always hope that the restaurant properly cleans the tables, but I am sure that cleaning solution doesn't kill all bacteria or virus out there. Nor are they wiping the table properly. And usually to have a cleaner be effective at killing these things the solution usually has to sit on the surface for 5+ minutes. Kids are horrible with this stuff. So it may not be the adults coughing/sneezing all over the tables but those germy kids (yes i have 3 so i know how gross they can be).

Sorry for the rant, but when i get thinking about things everything is bad -- but it is true that frequent hand washing is probably our best combat against getting these bacteria or viruses.

We are leaving in a week -- when we get on the plane i do plan on wiping down the table and arm rests -- any hard surface-because you know the airline is not cleaning any of that stuff between flights, so all those people before you who have been coughing and sneezing all over the seats and table is just leaving germs all over the place.

We just do what we can to stay healthy and hope that no one gets sick while we are there, but if i were to be sick i would rather be down at disney instead of sitting in my living room!

Oh, I do agree stuff is germy! I just find it way less stressful to establish the habit of not touching my face than not touching anything else.

(It's probably work-related for me, just as it is for you. - I substitute teach, so I am in the germiest rooms in school - on purpose :rotfl: - but hospital protocols just aren't feasible in that environment.)

Like you, though, I avoid putting my fork right on the table and I did wipe the tray and armrests on the plane during flu season!

:goodvibes

As I write this, I’m cooped up in bed at POR.

For the second Disney vacation in a row, my DW and I have contracted a cold like illness (sickness and coughing). At home we’re normally super healthy and rarely get ill but it’s a different matter at Disney World.

I think it’s down to the transportation. They pack the busses and most times there are a few people who are coughing or sneezing. This gets pumped round by the air con. It’s made us super apprehensive to get the busses in future. Not a good way to be spending our time on a trip that’s cost the best part of $5k!

We’ve decided to just get taxis around in-future to limit the risk.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Why would you think you are limited to getting sick just on transportation? You are brushing up against hundreds of people every day just 'being' at Disney! You are touching things after hundreds have touched them, and unless you are super vigilant, you then probably touch your face at some point. We also 'breathe' it!

It's just a fact of life that being around crowds especially makes you very vulnerable to catching 'something' at some point.

Also, with viruses/colds like flu, etc. people are contagious even before they know they are sick or show symptoms. My sis in law now has the flu and they (she & db) are the most stay at home folks I know! Likely caught it at the grocery store or similar place.

Some risks in life are just unavoidable, so we take the best precautions we can (wash hands often, use sani gel, keep hands away from face) etc. etc. etc. and then just don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

We love Disney transportation, go relatively often, never use any other private/public conveyance, and in 50 years only remember one year dh & I got very sick and visited urgent care.
We leave tomorrow for Disney and will only use their transportation for 10 days.

Just don't worry overly much and enjoy your vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!