Getting to MK early vs.later in the day??

MichelleC

Mouseketeer
Most people tell me to get to MK before it opens. I've recently read that A LOT of people do that. So, they advised to hang at the pool in the morning and head to MK in the early afternoon. ??????????

We're planning an early Nov trip. Best days of the week for MK?

Looking for your input!

Michelle and crew (DS 7, DD 5, DD 2 and DH)

I would recommend that you go to MK early in the morning. If at all possible, right when the rope drops for Toontown and Fantasyland, then you can get through the 'busy" rides first. I know for my kids the mornings are their best time (happy time!). Then we go back for naps and relaxing time and head back in the evening. We haven't been back to MK since EEs were cancelled so it could change, but it was always never go on Monday, Thursday and Saturdays.

Also, we have been to Disney three times to Disney in Nov. Twice during the first week of Nov and once Thanksgiving day for ten days. All three times we had great weather and the lines were o.k. Just to let you know that if you were planning on going to the water parks, Typhoon Lagoon is usually closed for refurbishing during Nov/Dec.

I'm interested on everyone's replys also, because when we go in Feb 2003 my kids (DS 5 and DS 2) are the same age as your younger two.

Hope this helps!
Michelle

I don't know how it is in Nov but our first day at MK in June we got there early for the "rope drop" and it was kinda chaotic. Even though they tell you to walk, everybody takes off running for the monorail and the ferry. We decided we would never do that again! The next day we arrived around 10:15(the park opened at 10:00)that way we avoided the mad dash. There was really no difference in the amount of time we had for touring by waiting until the park opened and it was so nice not being squashed and trampled by the thundering horde of theme park visitors.

I say be there when the parks open. Yes there is a quick rush as everyone in line trys to get through the gate and then they scatter in lots of directions and there are few crowds for the first hour or so. Most people do not get there at rope drop but rather get there at 10ish. Our favorite way to start the day is to make a early PS (around 8:00) in the park you want to be in that morning. Enjoy a nice breakfast and then you are already in the park and don't have to deal with the gate rush opening. You can do this at Cinderella's and Tony's at MK, at Hollywood & Vine at MGM, at the Story book princess breakfast at Epcot and our favorite Donald's breakfastsarus at AK.
Later in the day crowds build and so does the heat.

We did late entry several days during our trip in Feb. of this year (Feb. 6-12). Arrival day we entered MK @ 4pm and walked onto everything even SM and Buzz. I think things had cleared out after the 3:00 parade. Next day (a Thurs) we entered right @ 3:00 and saw the parade no problem. It had been a rainy day so crowd was thin, only waited in line for Pooh ride and Buzz. Went in @ 4:00 on Sat. for Spectro. Needed to use fast pass for BTM, waited 20 min. for HM, 5 min for Aladdian, walked onto POC. It was definately more crowded but worth it to see Spectro (which only showed on Sat. that week). DH and I went to MK @ 10:15 on Mon. morning while kids were on Pirate's Cruise at GF. It was a mob scene... but it was the start of Daytona 500 week and Mardi Gras and right before value season ended so I think in general WDW was more crowded. Lastly, on our final day we returned to MK at rope drop (a Tues), took train to BTM, got right on, took train to Toon Town for 10am rope drop there and rode Goofy's twice, tea cups, saw characters no problem. We hit the show at the castle stage at 11am and off to the airport.

Whew... that's a lot of info... hope it helps!:o :D

I really missed EE at MK this past trip. :( If you want to do the rides in Fantasyland without a 20 minute wait you need to be there when the park opens. Use FP for either Pooh or Peter Pan, both if you can get them early.

Go early. If you want to avoid the crowds at rope drop, just stay back away from it until it sorts itself out (only takes about 5 minutes). It is so much less crowded early in the day. You get to do a lot more and can take a break during the day.

You get more done in the first two hours of the park opening than in the next four. Although the park will start to clear in the afternoon, going in the afternoon is not very good strategy. You can't make the day last any longer if you start at 3 and the park closes at 7 - and if you hit a day when the park stays busy until close (and it happens) you'll be wishing for a time machine.

Who gave THAT advice??????

We have been 4 times in the past year with our 4yo DS.

Least crowded- nov and jan
moderate- may
labor day weekend-more crowded, but very manageable the way we do it- EARLY!

We have had virtually no waits in the last four trips! If we did wait for anything- the longest was ten minutes. Our strategy is simple. Get there as early as you can. You get a lot done in the first two hours. Then it starts to get a little more and more crowded. We head back to our resort for a swim/rest after an early lunch and head back to the parks in the late afternoon/early eveing. At that time more people are exiting than entering and we haven't had waits at that time either.

You won't believe the amount of people entering and looking very bewildered around noon. Their kids look about ready for a nap, too! Our rule is we leave BEFORE our son gets tired.

Who gave THAT advice??????

We have been 4 times in the past year with our 4yo DS.

Least crowded- nov and jan
moderate- may
labor day weekend-more crowded, but very manageable the way we do it- EARLY!

We have had virtually no waits in the last four trips! If we did wait for anything- the longest was ten minutes. Our strategy is simple. Get there as early as you can. You get a lot done in the first two hours. Then it starts to get a little more and more crowded. We head back to our resort for a swim/rest after an early lunch and head back to the parks in the late afternoon/early eveing. At that time more people are exiting than entering and we haven't had waits at that time either.

You won't believe the amount of people entering and looking very bewildered around noon. Their kids look about ready for a nap, too! Our rule is we leave BEFORE our son gets tired.

We are going in mid November and doing the same strategy we did last year. I have 8:10am reses at CRT for bfast before the park opens at 9:00am. Then we are right there for the rope drop at the castle (last year my DD was picked to "open the park". How special that was, I can't even tell you!). We make a mad dash for Dumbo and get fast pass for Pooh and do all our MUST DO rides right away. You are right Crisi, we got more done in that first couple hours than we did the entire rest of the day!

We went for 9 days back in July and the only day we went before the drop was the day we had ressies at CRT and we could NOT believe how bare it was early. You can get right through the big rides like snow white and that whole area farely fast. If you can get out the door, that is what I would do. Our next visit we will be up and at them early again.

Heather

I haven't even read the rest of the replies, but my immediate response is NO WAY!

For one thing, in my experience it is much less crowded in the morning. AND if you hang by the pool, you'd be losing the whole morning in the park. PLUS in November the park closes very early (6PM except on Saturdays) so you'd literally be losing most of your day. Get there early. Trust me. We'll be at the gate by 7:30AM the day we're going. It's a Magic morning and the park will be opening at 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter