Ghibli Museum?

Mushu mama

Earning My Ears
On our last day in Tokyo, my daughter is keen to visit the Ghibli museum in Mitaka.

Just wondering if anyone who has visited there could help with a few logistical questions.

Firstly, how long should we allow for travel there/return from the Disneyland area (staying at the Sheraton Grande)? And is it easy to get to using public transport or are we likely to have to catch taxi's for a portion?
Secondly, How long should we allow for actually being at the museum? keeping in mind my daughter is a HUGE fan.

We have a full morning to visit and am hoping travel/visiting time will be enough before we need to head to the airport mid afternoon for our flight out.

Thanks in advance, I think this is the last thing we need to decide on so hopefully, our planning is almost done :)

To answer your first question, it will take a bit over an hour each way by train from Maihama station to Mitaka station. It's very easy and you only have to transfer once, at Tokyo station.

At Maihama station, buy a ticket for 620 yen. That's what it'll cost per person to get to Mitaka station. Take the Keiyo line heading to Tokyo station (~17 minutes). At Tokyo station, transfer to the Chuo line (platforms 1/2). (~33 minutes) and get off at Mitaka station.

I would recommend you find seats or stand by the door so you can watch the electronic signs. They tell you which stop is next and it will flash in English as well as which side of the door will open.

From Mitaka station, it looks like there's a bus. The times and cost are on the Ghibli Museum site: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/howtogo/

Returning is the same route, except at Mitaka station, find platforms 5/6 to get back to Tokyo station. It will cost 620 yen per person again.

1) Make sure you have your Ghibli tickets in advance. Entrance to the Ghibli Museum is strictly by advance purchase of a reserved ticket which specifies the appointed date of the reservation - to quote the Ghibli web site.

2) Travel to the Museum has been covered. You can't miss the bus stop, it has a totoro on top. See my Spring Break TR for pics etc.

3) We spent 2hrs there but could have spend 3-4.

The museum opens at 10am and is closed most Tuesdays.

Thanks so much Tomoyo and AndyR... Just what I needed to know :) I think we'll have no problem fitting in a trip out to the museum with time to spare.

AndyR, your TR was wonderful, I really enjoyed reading about your family's journey and the photos were great... :)

What time is your flight? If you're flying from Narita, remember it's over 90 minutes from Mitaka to Narita. I would consider it a fairly tight fit to go on the day of your departure, remembering that you should arrive a bit early. It's possible, but a bit tight.

Do you have to go all the way back to Maihama before you leave?

Could you store your luggage at Tokyo and then catch the Narita express from there??

We spent about two hours at the Ghibli - make sure you arrive by 10:00 and you should be OK.

I recommend the walk from Mitaka station, it's quite easy and it's a beautiful neighbourhood. There seemed to be a long queue for the bus when we were there.

our flight only leaves at 8pm so judging by the times mentioned here, I think there's heaps of time, but I am generally a ' go with the flow' kind of traveler but with this quick trip to Tokyo, I'm having to plan everything to its last moment so we can fit everything in. I generally travel solo but this time I'm with my adult-let daughter so no kids to wrangle or fuss about, so being where we need to be won't be too much drama.

We're thinking we'll take our luggage into Tokyo and locker-it before traveling out to Mitaka and then on our return pick up the luggage and go to Narita from there. As long as we're back at Tokyo station by 2:30/3pm I think that's going to be plenty of time.

Ohh... thats another question I hadn't pondered... does anyone know what the approx cost of the lockers might be in Tokyo?

Ah! 8pm is no problem at all then. If it was 3pm you might have had a tough time.

The regular coin lockers are usually ¥200-500 depending on size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter