Gift basket for foodie/chef

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So I am trying to put together a gift basket for someone who is an amateur chef/foodie. They have all the gadgets that they don't think are silly so I'm looking at the sort of ingredients that are just extravagant enough that they might not buy them for themselves (or at least not regularly). I also don't want it to be a lot of pressure to come up with ways to use them immediately (it's supposed to be a gift not a job) so I'm looking at perishable but mainly shelf stable type stuff. So far I'm thinking a big wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano, a really nice aged balsamic, truffle oil, maybe anchovies and caviar and then I kind of run out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

So I am trying to put together a gift basket for someone who is an amateur chef/foodie. They have all the gadgets that they don't think are silly so I'm looking at the sort of ingredients that are just extravagant enough that they might not buy them for themselves (or at least not regularly). I also don't want it to be a lot of pressure to come up with ways to use them immediately (it's supposed to be a gift not a job) so I'm looking at perishable but mainly shelf stable type stuff. So far I'm thinking a big wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano, a really nice aged balsamic, truffle oil, maybe anchovies and caviar and then I kind of run out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

What kind of chocolate do they like to play with? I've seen chefs on the Food Network using molding chocolate and that looks intriguing, but I have no idea where to get it.

Is there a book on a particular technique your friend might be interested in trying?

Do you know for sure that your friend likes anchovies? Otherwise, I wouldn't go there.

What kind of chocolate do they like to play with? I've seen chefs on the Food Network using molding chocolate and that looks intriguing, but I have no idea where to get it.

Is there a book on a particular technique your friend might be interested in trying?

Do you know for sure that your friend likes anchovies? Otherwise, I wouldn't go there.
I use anchovies frequently, don’t tell my kids, great in sauces and salad dressings, you’d never know.

Olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, olives - we have a local store, and oil and vinegar is about $20 a bottle, here’s an online store https://www.theolivetap.com/bread-dipping-gift-baskets/

if you have one of these types of stores near you or any that specialize in olive oils they often sell small bottles w/just a few ounces of the different flavors for a few dollars each-it's a great way to get a variety to fill out a basket.

Aldi's has some items they might enjoy. I saw some jars of pesto and other interesting things.

Today I bought a small cheese board it is half marble, half wood, nice for a small gathering to put out a variety of cheeses, grapes and other munchies.

Aldi's has some items they might enjoy. I saw some jars of pesto and other interesting things.

Today I bought a small cheese board it is half marble, half wood, nice for a small gathering to put out a variety of cheeses, grapes and other munchies.
I’m a little bit of a foodie, and would never buy pre-made pesto (it’s so easy to make, at the end of summer with the tons of basil in the garden at that point). I think most want to be chefs make things from scratch.

Also things like dried porcini mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes that can be rehydrated.

These tend to be a bit on the expensive side, even when purchased where they are made overseas.

ETA: Imported tomato paste in a tube...a little dab will do!

I’m a little bit of a foodie, and would never buy pre-made pesto (it’s so easy to make, at the end of summer with the tons of basil in the garden at that point). I think most want to be chefs make things from scratch.
I agree. That was one thing I thought of but the point is that they have a lot of different things to choose from. As a matter of fact, last year I bought two family members each a big bag of assorted things from Aldi's as XMas gifts, and they raved all year about how they liked everything in the bag. So this year I did it again, and it was fun! I had in my hands there today some of the things the OP mentioned in the OP.

BTW my DH is an actual foodie as a culinary graduate and has worked in the food business all his life, and he enjoys shopping there, too. He bought some gifts for his coworkers there today.

Penzeys spices. I've often heard people rave about Penzeys. But, I've never been into higher priced spices as I don't cook a lot. Then someone turned me onto them when they were offering some specials on gift boxes recently and free shipping. Now I'm hooked! :thumbsup2 I can really taste the difference in their spices and their own blends.

They also gave me generous size samples of 3 different spices. One of them, the Smoked Spanish Paprika is wonderful. I sprinkle it on my homemade hummus and can't imagine it without it now. :cloud9:

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/gift-boxes/

Last edited:

I would pick an ingredient and run with a theme. For instance, a nicely aged piece of Parmigiano Reggiano could lend itself to a trio of Italian cheeses with the addition of Grana Padano and Asiagio or Provolone. Keeping to the Italian theme, a bottle of balsamic vinegar, with a sweet and spicy hard Italian salami, bottles of giardianni, caper berries, etc could make a good Italian charcuterie basket. Want to add anchovies? The salt dried variety in a jar is the absolute "bestest" if you can find it.

Caviar is simple but as I'm sure you know not shelf stable in general. This company has some fantastic tasting and reasonably priced for what it is sturgeon fish roe:

https://passmoreranch.com/shop/

Add a bottle of dry/brut sparkling wine to the basket and maybe some blinis, download a DYI recipe for creme fraiche (tastes way better than most commercial brands and easy to make) and you are done. And will be appreciated:).

Penzeys spices. I've often heard people rave about Penzeys. But, I've never been into higher priced spices as I don't cook a lot. Then someone turned me onto them when they were offering some specials on gift boxes recently and free shipping. Now I'm hooked! :thumbsup2 I can really taste the difference in their spices and their own blends.

They also gave me generous size samples of 3 different spices. One of them, the Smoked Spanish Paprika is wonderful. I sprinkle it on my homemade hummus and can't imagine it without it now. :cloud9:

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/gift-boxes/

I've been on a smoked paprika binge for a long time now. If there aren't tins of the picante and sweet stored in my freezer I'm veddy unhappy;).
Another credible spice merchant is: https://www.thespicehouse.com/
It's run by a daughter of the Penzey family and her husband, located in Chicago, and I've their number on speed dial, LOL.
Someone graduating from college and not returning home? A bridal shower and they want housegoods? Check. Throw in a Braun electric coffee grinder since it makes a fine spice grinder as well and they are ready to start cooking good. When I started camping again I discovered their freeze dried chopped shallots and now I use the product at home too; great when I'm in soup making mode.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!