Gift Cards

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
I purchased discounted Disney Gift Cards through BJs and Sam's to pay for tastings, purchases onboard the ship, port adventures, etc.

My question is, what is the best way to use these? Should I apply them to my account before departure? Apply them when I board? Link a credit card then pay with the gift cards at the end of the cruise?

If you used a travel agent, have your travel agent add the gift card. If you didn't, you can call DCL directly and have them add it. Adding in while onboard is also an option and that can be done at guest services. Any unused funds will be returned to the original gift card.

We always add a gift card to our account for onboard charges. (We use our Disney Visa as the card linked to our account so we get the on board discounts, but it doesn’t charge the Visa until the gift cards are used up.) We visit guest services either right after we board or right after embarkation lunch. We’ve been lucky that the lines have always been short. I don’t know why but I prefer this to adding it ahead of time.

ETA: we always combine our cards onto one card (max $1000 on a card) at the Disney gift card website to make it easier for us and the CM.

We also went to Guest Services, we just added it to our list of things we wanted to get done when we got on-board before lunch. Line was not long and taken care of quickly along with booking any tastings, etc that weren't available to pre-book.

We always add a gift card to our account for onboard charges. (We use our Disney Visa as the card linked to our account so we get the on board discounts, but it doesn’t charge the Visa until the gift cards are used up.) We visit guest services either right after we board or right after embarkation lunch. We’ve been lucky that the lines have always been short. I don’t know why but I prefer this to adding it ahead of time.

ETA: we always combine our cards onto one card (max $1000 on a card) at the Disney gift card website to make it easier for us and the CM.

So this is actually what I was trying to figure out! If we link both the Visa and the Gift Cards, we will get discounts (when applicable)? Would it work to only link the Visa and then pay with gift cards at the end of the cruise?

If we link both the Visa and the Gift Cards, we will get discounts (when applicable)? Would it work to only link the Visa and then pay with gift cards at the end of the cruise?
Yes, and maybe.

You can definitely get the Disney Visa cardholder benefits if you have a Disney Visa on file but also pay using a gift card, even if you never actually use the credit card.

Once your onboard account reaches a certain level (maybe $300 or $500), your credit card will be charged, so it's best to bring your gift card to Guest Services earlier in the cruise to pay for any charges that you are sure you will have (e.g., excursions and tastings you've booked and gratuities). You can indicate what amount of the gift card you want to use. If you're concerned you won't use the whole amount, you can pay what you're sure of, then pay more using the gift card after you've made more charges. I usually stop by Guest Service midafternoon on the last day of the cruise to check my account balance and use up any gift cards I have. Later in the day, GS gets more busy.

So this is actually what I was trying to figure out! If we link both the Visa and the Gift Cards, we will get discounts (when applicable)? Would it work to only link the Visa and then pay with gift cards at the end of the cruise?
You can use the Visa as your payment for onboard charges when you do online check in. That will get you any discounts onboard. (There will be a “DV” printed on your KTTW card.)

I would add the gift card to your account early in the cruise (or before sailing) if you want charges to go to the gift card first. IIRC some things are charged immediately once on board (maybe port adventures?) and once you reach a certain $ amount they will charge the method on file. So if you haven’t added the GC they might charge your CC before the end of the cruise. It might be possible to reverse charges to a CC but I wouldn’t want to deal with that headache.

Also—you can link the Disney Visa to get discounts but you don’t need to have the actual $ paid by the Visa. You will still get discounts even if your entire onboard bill is paid by a gift card (not sure if that’s what you were asking but thought I’d mention it!)

Yes, please combine them online and take just one with you so the CM only has to add one larger amount card, rather than a dozen $25 cards....I went to Guest Services last week to add a gift card to our account. The line was indeed short, but it still took quite a while because the lady ahead of me had tons of small gift cards. I had combined mine online and it was quick and easy to add to our account once it was my turn.

Yes, please combine them online and take just one with you so the CM only has to add one larger amount card, rather than a dozen $25 cards....I went to Guest Services last week to add a gift card to our account. The line was indeed short, but it still took quite a while because the lady ahead of me had tons of small gift cards. I had combined mine online and it was quick and easy to add to our account once it was my turn.

They also appreciate the combining if you call in advance to buy OBC. I got like $700 one time because of things I knew I had planned, and I could hear the relief in the CM’s voice on the phone when I said I only had one gift card.

Yes, please combine them online and take just one with you so the CM only has to add one larger amount card

A few cruises ago I was at guest services and this guy gives the CM a stack of gift cards to add to his account. They were stacks and stacks of those $150 packs that are really three $50 cards glued together inside a cardboard packaging. He did not have them opened, separated, consolidating or anything. So the CM has to open them up, break them apart, just so she can start scanning these several dozen cards. This was embarkation day so there was quit a line being held up as well. I thought to myself, how can people go through life so clueless?

A few cruises ago I was at guest services and this guy gives the CM a stack of gift cards to add to his account. They were stacks and stacks of those $150 packs that are really three $50 cards glued together inside a cardboard packaging. He did not have them opened, separated, consolidating or anything. So the CM has to open them up, break them apart, just so she can start scanning these several dozen cards. This was embarkation day so there was quit a line being held up as well. I thought to myself, how can people go through life so clueless?

We've combined ours already! We have two $1000 GC's each, as it is a 14 day cruise.

For paying cruises off with GC, I booked through Costco (my cruise isn't until May 2021). Would I call Costco directly and pay off the cruise with the GC?

How do you combine the GC online? I definitely have a stack of $50 GC and DO NOT want to be that patron that holds up the line. Is that done on the Disney Gift Card website?

Last edited:
For paying cruises off with GC, I booked through Costco (my cruise isn't until May 2021). Would I call Costco directly and pay off the cruise with the GC?

How do you combine the GC online? I definitely have a stack of $50 GC and DO NOT want to be that patron that holds up the line. Is that done on the Disney Gift Card website?

Looks like you've already got the link for combining.

Costco doesn't have a way to apply Disney GC's online, but if you call they'll handle it over the phone no problem.
Sometimes they initiate a conference call and have you read the #'s to Disney directly, sometimes they take the #'s and call for you. Either way you do have to go through them, but it's not a big deal.

Looks like you've already got the link for combining.

Costco doesn't have a way to apply Disney GC's online, but if you call they'll handle it over the phone no problem.
Sometimes they initiate a conference call and have you read the #'s to Disney directly, sometimes they take the #'s and call for you. Either way you do have to go through them, but it's not a big deal.

Good to know that Costco will accept Disney GC as form of payment.

Disney Gift Cards are on sale at BJs right now. Usually they are 4% off. Right now, they are an extra 1% off for a total of 5%

Sorry for the dumb question, but what website are you referring to, to combine gift cards?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter