Gift Ideas for Former Coach with Lymphoma

twoolle

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I will be visiting my former softball coach over the Christmas holidays...he also happens to be the dad of my childhood best friend so we know each other well. However we live about 350 miles away and only get to see him once a year at best. This past summer he was diagnosed with Lymphoma and just wrapped up his chemo treatment last month. He is a fighter and has kept his spirits high. Anyhow, I would like to take him a little something when we go visit him...just to let him know that I am thinking about him even more this time of year. But I have no idea of how to make him feel special! He is in his 60s, has several grandchildren but honestly since I have not spent much time with him the last 20 years since graduating high school it's hard to know what he is really into these days. He does like Oklahoma football!

You guys are always great with ideas! He is retired but got sick of retirement and took a part time job with Lowe's. I'm not sure if he continued to work there during treatment or not. But he's not the sit at home and do nothing kind of guy...

Thanks in advance for your help!

If he was still in his treatments, I would have suggested an OK blanket. Chemo tends to make you either very hot or very cold. My DS has gone through both extremes as he's been treated for leukemia over the past 2.5 years.

Is your former coach religious? You might want to look for a prayer of the day book for someone who has survived cancer. My DS got lots of prayer books and he used/read them.

I still like the OK throw blanket so he can use it during the winter when he's hanging on the sofa watching TV.

I had lymphoma 12 years ago. One round of six chemo treatments did the trick. So I’m very blessed.

My thoughts as a Woman may be very different from his. Some ideas.

Massage. You get very achy from chemo sometimes.

Gift cards for special dinner out or for a book store. Or a gift card toward football tickets.

Oklahoma sweatshirt or throw blanket.

If he lost his hair an Ok hat.

Really good bottle of wine or other liquor he likes. With a great box of chocolates. During chemo you can lose your sense of taste a bit so I loved very tasty things to eat or drink.

Personally I hated journals or anything religious although I’m Catholic and reg church goer. It’s just not me. Once it was over I didn’t want to be reminded of it.

I had lymphoma 12 years ago. One round of six chemo treatments did the trick. So I’m very blessed.

My thoughts as a Woman may be very different from his. Some ideas.

Massage. You get very achy from chemo sometimes.

Gift cards for special dinner out or for a book store. Or a gift card toward football tickets.

Oklahoma sweatshirt or throw blanket.

If he lost his hair an Ok hat.

Really good bottle of wine or other liquor he likes. With a great box of chocolates. During chemo you can lose your sense of taste a bit so I loved very tasty things to eat or drink.

Personally I hated journals or anything religious although I’m Catholic and reg church goer. It’s just not me. Once it was over I didn’t want to be reminded of it.

You are very blessed indeed, very thankful that it has gone well for you.

Good news is he found out today he is in complete remission!

I was thinking about an OU hat...and good idea about flavorful things. A nice box of chocolates might work too!

Thank you for your suggestions and God Bless you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter