Gift purchase and returns

sara mom

Mouseketeer
Planning on purchasing gifts for out of town family and have gifts shipped directly to their houses. If they don't like the gifts, what store can you purchase with one credit card and have the return processed on another credit card? For instance, if I purchase online from Macy's or Hollister or Lowes or Penny's on my credit card, can my brother in law return items and have the amount credited onto his Visa debit card and then just give the kids the cash? Or if I go to the store, buy the presents and ship them (with receipt) have the same thing happen. I know there is a chance they may not like the gift, but I don't want to send cash or gift cards.

Planning on purchasing gifts for out of town family and have gifts shipped directly to their houses. If they don't like the gifts, what store can you purchase with one credit card and have the return processed on another credit card? For instance, if I purchase online from Macy's or Hollister or Lowes or Penny's on my credit card, can my brother in law return items and have the amount credited onto his Visa debit card and then just give the kids the cash? Or if I go to the store, buy the presents and ship them (with receipt) have the same thing happen. I know there is a chance they may not like the gift, but I don't want to send cash or gift cards.
None, as far as I know. It will either be returned to original form of payment with a receipt or store credit without it. No store will refund money onto a different form of payment.

You can request gift receipt when purchasing at department stores and if anything needs be returned they usually put balance on gift card.

what you could do is buy with a visa gift card then mail the empty gift card and receipts to your brother in a separate envelope marked “open only in the event of a return.”

I would buy the items from a popular store and then let them worry about how returns are handled at their local store if they don't like it. I agree as mentioned above, stores nowadays will only give you credit for a future purchase at their store. I don't think making it overly complicated is worth the time/effort.

To discourage theft and people who try to game the system, most stores only refund the lowest offered price in the form of store credit for a future purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!