Gilmore Girls ...

Funny that this popped up last night, DD and I were watching on UP too, even though we have already binged watch the entire show together, and I did on my own before that as well. And we own the entire series on DVD. Couldn't resist last night, but drove us nuts because it's not in HD and it's bleeped! Who would think that show would need to be bleeped LOL.

I'm a GG fan and watch it frequently on UP. Perhaps it's because I'm older now, but I started to see Rory as an entitled twit. She started out mature and responsible and over time became a different person. Maybe it's because she her life was being paid for by her grandparents, but she seemed less appreciative and down to Earth. It's time to grow up and take responsibility.

This said, I still love the show and wish that I would move to Stars Hollow and join their world. I would like to see more episodes, but they need to do some retooling of Rory. Realize that Logan is not going to change or give up his other lady, and that it's time for her to take responsibility. That she needs to find a stable job and move on with her life.

I was/am a fan of the show and have watched all episodes but I was never a fan of Rory. IMO, she became a spoiled brat that expected everything and rarely appreciated anything. She almost ruined the show for me. I am definitely a Lorelai (and Paris) fan.

I must confess that I spent Thanksgiving break binge watch GG on UP. The final episode tests me up as the girls pull up to the town waiting for their arrival. Then there’s the prior episode where Lorelei sings on stage to Luke.

While the final season wasn’t perfect, I’m happy that it didn’t end in those few words that Amy SP wanted.

I love the witty banter, the literary references, and the unusual discussions. I like the sense of community- the spectrum of characters, showing humanity in an intimate way.

Me, too. I really enjoyed the binge-a-thon!

I thought it was about character development, and growing as people- but those Netflix specials were written by the original writers, and the characters had not budged. If anything, they had regressed.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I think it's because it was the original writer. Supposedly, she had the last four words of the series in her head from the beginning, and then she didn't get to use them in the series' last season. Maybe they they were just so important to her that she found a way to use them 10 years later, even if that meant putting that ahead of character growth.

On the other hand...maybe Rory regressing was meant to be part of the story, as the result of choosing the wrong guy?

I know I vacillated between teams Dean/Jess/Logan at different times when I originally watched. It was like they were all one part of the ideal person she really needed.

After watching so many episodes close together, I really think she should have given Marty a chance (when he was first interested in her).

On the other hand...maybe Rory regressing was meant to be part of the story, as the result of choosing the wrong guy?

I know I vacillated between teams Dean/Jess/Logan at different times when I originally watched. It was like they were all one part of the ideal person she really needed.

After watching so many episodes close together, I really think she should have given Marty a chance (when he was first interested in her).

Meanwhile, I ended thinking that Rory was more of a selfish self-righteous jerk than any of her former beaus. All of them moved on in a productive way. All of them showed remorse and character growth from their negative experience. Dean least so, but he still worked full-time and owned up to his mistakes. Jess and Logan built careers. I was never team anyone though. Just team sorry to see the carnage Lorelei and Lorelei Jr. unleash on the world with little thought or pain. I had hope for Lorelei and Luke, but the revival showed me they were living as unhealthy and dishonest as ever. Seriously bummed by these people.

Marty was a sweet person, and I wish we saw more of his story. I think he was probably too good for her though.

What she needs is not a man, but some lessons in compassion, fidelity, and what truly caring for someone vs. using them looks like. I really think she ended up a super gross person.

Last edited:
I am a huge GG fan (obviously, since I named my daughter Lorelai), but I agree with everyone's opinions on Rory. Her character just doesn't grow at all. Instead of growing up she is even more selfish and unfocused at the end than she was in the beginning. From the first couple of episodes where she wants to give up Chilton for Dean, to the end where she is knowingly sleeping with a man who is engaged to another woman, she is just a horrible character.

Lorelai and Paris on the other hand are the reason I watched the show!

After rewatching many of the episodes this past week I agree with Rory sliding backwards by the shows end. When we first meet her I think that she had goals and determination, but we must remember that she was a teenager and experiencing new things, AKA Dean. Hence, her reason for wanting to give up Chilton for a boy. What 15/16 year old girl who now had a boyfriend wouldn't?

The whole Dean/Jess storyline was annoying. But again she was a teenager and the writers were trying to capitalize on teen viewers, so it was probably more a reflection on that. While I was Dean over Jess, they did provide the character of Rory with life lessons. From first love and heartbreak (over her indecision over her interest in Jess), to un/healthy relationships. She did learn that love isn't easy.

Then there's Logan. What started out as being able to stand on her own two feet, an outsider turned into a different person. She seemed to lose who she originally was, a humble person who leaned on her grandparents financially to move her forward in achieving her educational goals. Instead turning into a wealthy girl whose education was paid for and expectations that her family name would carry her forward. That was her downfall in the Logan relationship. Remember the "But I'm a Gilmor!" episode when attending dinner with Logan's family, and how she wasn't good enough to marry into the family because she wanted a career. Her last name wasn't good enough for them. The longer she dated Logan the more she lost her identity and acclimated to a wealthier lifestyle. This was the slide back that ensued.

Was Logan her lost love? Possibly, as seen in their continued affair. Was he the best man for her? Questionable. At least a few things did remain constant about Rory throughout the series: her and her mothers close relationship, her goal to become a journalist even after the whole Mitchim Huntzburger thing, and the building relationship to her grandparents that didn't really exist prior to Chilton.

What she needs is not a man, but some lessons in compassion, fidelity, and what truly caring for someone vs. using them looks like.

True...and we may get just that if the famous last four words turn into a new series. - I could definitely see motherhood being a maturing force for Rory. (And I know I'd give the show a try.)

I do think that when she was young, she wanted more, but instead of learning from her mistakes with the others, she settled for a "mutual use" relationship with Logan. It's as if she gave up - not just on mature relationships, but on her own ambition to be a better person.

I do think that at some point she was so intrigued by the antics of Logan (and friends) and the Life and Death Brigade that she got caught up in the lifestyle herself. Hence the decision to steal a yacht. It could be that as she folded into that lifestyle and infatuation with Logan that she settled. She lost who she was and instead became who they were and who she thought she needed to be in order to remain with them, while simultaneously being the voice of reason which that group was missing.

I hope we do see more of the Gilmores. I would like to see Rory given a chance to grow and make better choices, and I would LOVE to see Luke and Lorelai as grandparents.

As for which guy she should have chosen, I'm torn between Jess and Logan. I feel like Jess is Rory's intellectual equal and would have made a very good life partner, but Logan (pre non-exclusive relationship arrangement) grew on me and seemed to genuinely adore Rory in the latter seasons of the original series. I think they could have had a loving marriage if she would have said yes when he proposed. I also think they would have been able to work out a way for her to achieve her career goals. Jess would possibly have been even more supportive in that area, but I think their relationship might have been slightly less harmonious than one with Logan. Jess and Rory both seem prone to moments of intense emotion, and Logan seems to be a little more laid back. Dean, IMO, is horrid - at least as played by Jared. He's whiny, clingy, easily and excessively angered, and very controlling. I am so glad she did not end up with him, and I hated the storyline of them reuniting while he was married. That has to be one of the worst decisions she ever made and I'm disappointed she seems to have not learned from that particular mistake. If the show continues, I think I'd ultimately love to see Rory end up with Jess. He still seems to be very much in love with her, and, unfortunately, I now think the time for Rory and Logan has passed. And then there's always the option of not ending up with anyone.

Last edited:
...and I would LOVE to see Luke and Lorelai as grandparents.

Oh, my, yes!!!

As for which guy she should have chosen, I'm torn between Jess and Logan. I feel like Jess is Rory's intellectual equal and would have made a very good life partner.

I agree. He was just too "rebel without a cause" for her when he first came into her life, and it scared her. I wish they had reconnected later, after he'd found his place. He was definitely a good intellectual match for her.

(Actually, the intellectual thing was my only beef with Dean. I really thought he was sweet and head-over-heals for Rory when they were legitimately together, but I'm afraid the lifetime of conversations just wouldn't have been there.)

...but Logan (pre non-exclusive relationship arrangement) grew on me and seemed to genuinely adore Rory in the latter seasons of the original series. I think they could have had a loving marriage if she would have said yes when he proposed.

I thought so too! I really felt like he was ready to grow up at that point, but she wasn't.

Maybe the whole moral of the series is "Timing is everything."

I read that she tried out for Rory and while she didn't get the part, they liked her so much that they ended up writing Paris for her. Makes me wonder what the series would have been like had there been no Paris.

Isn't it funny how things work out? I can't imagine the show without Paris. That's a fun bit of info you just shared.

Me, too. I really enjoyed the binge-a-thon!

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I think it's because it was the original writer. Supposedly, she had the last four words of the series in her head from the beginning, and then she didn't get to use them in the series' last season. Maybe they they were just so important to her that she found a way to use them 10 years later, even if that meant putting that ahead of character growth.

I had heard that Amy Sherman-Palladino never even saw the 7th season. I believe she wrote the episodes as if the seventh season never existed which means in the reboot universe Logan never proposed to Rory, he was never fired from Daddy's business, and never made a go of it himself. I don't remember exactly, did his proposal ever come up in the reboot?

I do think that at some point she was so intrigued by the antics of Logan (and friends) and the Life and Death Brigade that she got caught up in the lifestyle herself. Hence the decision to steal a yacht. It could be that as she folded into that lifestyle and infatuation with Logan that she settled. She lost who she was and instead became who they were and who she thought she needed to be in order to remain with them, while simultaneously being the voice of reason which that group was missing.

And who was the only one who could pull her back from the precipice? Jess. Not even Lorelai could do it. Yes, when he first came on the show Jess was too rough and idiotic for her. But he really grew into himself and he truly adores her, always has. I'm team Jess all the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!