Girl falls over railing on cruise ship ....what kind of world do we live in?

So sad, they've already retained a lawsuits-are-us-firm that appears to specialize in getting settlements from Carnival for irresponsibly behaving passengers.

Apparently Carnival is an easy mark and pays out to settle any and every lawsuit, legitimate or frivolous.

I would think that would apply to a great many corporations involved in providing a very visible service.

True, but according to the article there is at least one shyster lawyer who specializes in Carnival lawsuits. It leads me to believe that Carnival puts up absolutely no defence, nor does anything to discourage or deter even frivolous suits. Wanna sue us? Sure, we'll pay out. No questions asked.

It's sort of semantics, but I'd bet you a dozen donuts that the attorney (and at least a dozen others) reached out to the family...not the family reached out to them. These law firms have people who do nothing but look for tragedies and accidents and swoop in as fast as they can...at times they've even been known to show up in the ER.

Ambulance chasers. I worked for a neurologist who had his patients referred by certain lawyers. The law offices had people who recruited clients at the scene of car accidents and ERs.

But if he's an uncle, the parents would either have to go with what he was pushing or not.

Even in a time of great tragedy, people need to own their choices. The uncle has no standing to sue on his own.

I agree. But sometimes people don't have the best judgment when met with tragedy. Either way I think it's horrible to sue.

I don't think he limits himself to Carnival. He was also the attorney for the family of the guy who "fell" off of Oasis of the Seas.

Not sure who it is but I know there is one guy out there that is constantly going after cruise lines. I think even runs a website about what the sees as shortcomings in the cruise industry. From everything I've heard about him he's a leach.

True, but according to the article there is at least one shyster lawyer who specializes in Carnival lawsuits. It leads me to believe that Carnival puts up absolutely no defence, nor does anything to discourage or deter even frivolous suits. Wanna sue us? Sure, we'll pay out. No questions asked.

It's not quite that simple. Long story short, there are plaintiff lawyers who "specialize" in going after all kinds of industries...cruise lines, hotels, trucking companies, drug manufacturers, and of course the most famous is car accidents. It's not that the insurance company (I'm sure Carnival has one, or even if self insured they have a company they hire to handle claims) just rolls over and throws money at them. Far from it. They will push, resist and fight to the extent they can. But when it comes down to it and a lawsuit is actually filed, business decisions have to be made. It may take $500,000 in defense costs to settle a claim and possibly risk all kinds of PR stuff the plaintiff attorney will try to throw out. Or it can be settled quietly for $100,000. Attorneys know this, and that's the name of the game...money grab. The one thing the insurance companies can use to fight back is the element of time. Lawsuits take time, and if it actually went into a courtroom (very, very few do) it literally can take many years. Most plaintiff attorneys and their clients, especially on frivolous suits, are looking for a quick buck. They're not interested in incurring their own costs and waiting years to get settlement, they want the money NOW.

Not sure who it is but I know there is one guy out there that is constantly going after cruise lines. I think even runs a website about what the sees as shortcomings in the cruise industry. From everything I've heard about him he's a leach.
This is a different guy. I know the one you're talking about. He comes across as a nutjob top me.

That is the way it works.

I am just going to say that if they accept settlement, then they get the "gag order" usually.

That is what is worth to these large bodies of conglomeration.

Look into their advertising budget. Lawsuits are peanuts to them. Esp. if they can get the incident to go away.

Personally I feel that personal responsibility doesn't exist. We were on a cruise this past April and on one of the decks there were 2 little boys (3 and 4 maybe 5 years old) just wandering around. No parent in sight. I couldn't believe my eyes! My dh and I were like WTH? Where are their parents??? We saw kids all over doing whatever they wanted - like there weren't any rules set by their parents because their parents weren't near them... It was shocking to me. To go over one of those railings you need to hoist yourself - be standing on something most likely. Terrible tragedy for this family no matter what happened and I hope they one day find peace.

What also is sad, that folks who seem to have an affinity for a certain color, seem to think that personal attacks are appropriate here.
Nice to see that my fan club is here with bells on!

If we are going to get in to semantics here ( I always just love that )

Yes, it is heartbreaking that this happened!!!! Who could deny that.
But nobody 'killed' this child.... (which IS what is being alleged here, that the child was pushed and/or if the railing were inadequate enough to be 'negligent'.)
This child, very tragically, 'lost their life', in a horrible accident.

And, yes, IMHO parents who would use a tragic accident to seek huge financial gain... :sad2:

That is my opinion....
If others do not agree... Hey, so be it.

Last edited:
Personally I feel that personal responsibility doesn't exist. We were on a cruise this past April and on one of the decks there were 2 little boys (3 and 4 maybe 5 years old) just wandering around. No parent in sight. I couldn't believe my eyes! My dh and I were like WTH? Where are their parents??? We saw kids all over doing whatever they wanted - like there weren't any rules set by their parents because their parents weren't near them... It was shocking to me. To go over one of those railings you need to hoist yourself - be standing on something most likely. Terrible tragedy for this family no matter what happened and I hope they one day find peace.

THIS.... exactly!!!!

More information? That article is really worth less than a snot filled tissue.

Apparently none of the family was around to witness what actually happened. But it couldn't possible be because their straight A student was fooling around on the railing. No, somebody must have pushed her over, accidentally or not.

Once they get their small share of the settlement money from the lawsuit the bottom feeding lawyer files, they'll feel justice was served.

First, I'm not so sure how accurate media accounts are about the actual situation regarding the family. Second, I wonder how I would come off to people in the aftermath of losing one of my children? It might make for a great script or book to say how well I carried myself and how I held up -- but if I'm being honest I'd have to say it might not be my finest hour and I'd hope that if people want to judge me and my character they'd take a lot longer range look than my likely irrational actions and moods at the absolute worst time of my life.

More information? That article is really worth less than a snot filled tissue.

Apparently none of the family was around to witness what actually happened. But it couldn't possible be because their straight A student was fooling around on the railing. No, somebody must have pushed her over, accidentally or not.

Once they get their small share of the settlement money from the lawsuit the bottom feeding lawyer files, they'll feel justice was served.

I was looking for something that stated the family said she had been pushed and this article had more info than the one I posted in a pp.
But by all means, feel free to post whatever info you approve of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter