Girl falls over railing on cruise ship ....what kind of world do we live in?

Losing a child in such a horrific way is heartbreaking & tragic - even if it was just an accident. I don't even want to try to imagine what the scene must have looked like. My thoughts & prayers are w/ the family.

I'm not familiar w/ Carnival cruise ships, but I'm sure the railings are regulation height.

Kids climb. Just stand in line in a queue at Disney & watch the kids climbing & twisting all over the bars of the queue formation.

I'm kind of amazed at how many parents just let their parents roam about & climb on things not made for kid-climbing. It's not that they're necessarily bad or neglectful parents, I just think some parents don't always think about all the different scenarios. I'm a worrier, so I've always been on the hyper-vigilant side of things. But, even w/ hyper vigilance, accidents can still happen & can happen quickly.

So she was 8, right? How is it that neither her mother or her mother's boyfriend was close enough to have witnessed this? Yes, it was an accident. However, the cruise line is no more at fault than the parents, which is to say, no one is at fault. Accidents happen. However, if this happened to me, I would blame myself for the rest of my life. When you break it down, my kids are my responsibility to supervise. It's not like this girl was in the kids club or something. In that case, I suspect the parents would actually have a legitimate case.

More information? That article is really worth less than a snot filled tissue.

Apparently none of the family was around to witness what actually happened. But it couldn't possible be because their straight A student was fooling around on the railing. No, somebody must have pushed her over, accidentally or not.

Once they get their small share of the settlement money from the lawsuit the bottom feeding lawyer files, they'll feel justice was served.

Actually it says in the article that some of the boyfriend's family members stated that a large number of people came out of the elevator and pushed. Not saying anyone intentionally pushed her but the crowd pushed.

But nobody 'killed' this child.... (which IS what is being alleged here, that the child was pushed and/or if the railing were inadequate enough to be 'negligent'.)

No, somebody must have pushed her over, accidentally or not.
Either one of you... PLEASE show where anyone has said the girl must have been pushed over or that the railings were inadequate. I'll admit I said *IF* the railings were inadequate, Carnival would be responsible. I believe I also said I don't believe that to be the case.

I would assume there are cameras that will show what happened
I'm sure they will. I'm also sure the public will never see the video.

As far as the "legal action", I'm sorry, I'm not going to buy what a "great uncle" is saying. I think he's looking for a payday. The parents might be too, but I'm guessing they're too distraught to think straight right now.

Either one of you... PLEASE show where anyone has said the girl must have been pushed over or that the railings were inadequate. I'll admit I said *IF* the railings were inadequate, Carnival would be responsible. I believe I also said I don't believe that to be the case.

I'm sure they will. I'm also sure the public will never see the video.

As far as the "legal action", I'm sorry, I'm not going to buy what a "great uncle" is saying. I think he's looking for a payday. The parents might be too, but I'm guessing they're too distraught to think straight right now.

In regards to the bolded, too bad. They should just shake it off and be ready to act appropriately and speak rationally and without emotion, the media wants to hear the details for goodness sake. Nobody has time for them to be grieving, distraught, lashing out irrationally or any other nonsense. I'm sure all of the stalwart citizens critiquing them via the evidence contained in the investigative journalism to be found all over the web could pull it off flawlessly in their shoes.

The article does make mention of the family thinking that when the elevator doors opened, she may have been pushed as the crowd was trying to get off the elevator. I assume that's what people are referencing.

I don't understand how being a private sub-division means the police can't come when laws are being broken.

I’m not the poster you’re asking, but I do know that in some private subdivisions (gated or where the HOA rather than the town takes care of the roads) police cannot give tickets for things like speeding or failing to stop because they are considered more like driveways than “real” roads.

That sounds like what that poster means. It would be illegal for unlicensed kids to operate motorcycles, golf carts, etc on public roads, but it may not be illegal to drive them on private property. So the police are not going to respond to a call about that.

I wonder how I would come off to people in the aftermath of losing one of my children? It might make for a great script or book to say how well I carried myself and how I held up -- but if I'm being honest I'd have to say it might not be my finest hour and I'd hope that if people want to judge me and my character they'd take a lot longer range look than my likely irrational actions and moods at the absolute worst time of my life.

This is a nightmare for the family. I have no idea what I'd say in the wake of a horrible loss such as this one, but raw grief twists you inside out. I have no idea what I'd say in a similar situation, but I suspect it wouldn't be my finest hour, either. My heart goes out to them for their loss.

The family is just absorbing their loss. Not sure they've even buried their angel yet.
Here's hoping the ugliness on display @ this forum and possibly others are not on their radar.

You would hope but when you have a family member say they are looking for justice even before the day was over people are gong to say things.

In regards to the bolded, too bad. They should just shake it off and be ready to act appropriately and speak rationally and without emotion, the media wants to hear the details for goodness sake. Nobody has time for them to be grieving, distraught, lashing out irrationally or any other nonsense. I'm sure all of the stalwart citizens critiquing them via the evidence contained in the investigative journalism to be found all over the web could pull it off flawlessly in their shoes.
I had to read half your post before I realized where you were going. :rotfl2:

The article does make mention of the family thinking that when the elevator doors opened, she may have been pushed as the crowd was trying to get off the elevator. I assume that's what people are referencing.
Except one of the statements occurred before the article was linked.

I don't think they will or should. What will probably come out was "The railings were in good shape and the proper height." They should NOT release the tapes or even describe what they saw. The public does not have a right to know those details. If the railing was shoddy or broken, that should be made known (highly doubtful IMO).
I didn't say when they released the video. I said when they released the results of the video. I meant that once the proper authorities viewed the footage they might issue a statement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter