GKTW with a baby?

mrsbornkuntry

<font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><
Hi, I hope I'm not addressing any questions that have already been answered, I have been reading through the other GKTW threads and didn't see this. We're going on my ds's wish trip over Christmas (we are really excited!). It will be dh and I and 5 kids. My youngest one will be 8 months old so I'm wondering if we need to bring a pack n play for him to sleep in or if they have portable cribs or something there. Also, do I need to bring dish soap? Can anyone think of anything else baby-specific that I may not have thought of? We've travelled with a baby before (he is our 5th one, lol), but we're really focused on making sure we bring all of the meds and stuff for our ds with the wish and don't want to forget something for the baby.

Also, I have never flown with children before at all, any tips there?

Oh, one more question! I was thinking about getting a ps for a character meal while we were there, but with all of the characters that visit GKTW would it really be necessary? I don't want us to be tied to a reservation time unless we have to, but I do want my kids to get some one-on-one time with the characters. Does anyone have any other tips for making this trip really, really special? My kids have endured alot for the past three years and they've come through it all wonderfully (not without bumps, but I'm still very proud) and I want this to be great for them. The only thing I know for sure that I HAVE to do is get my son's first haircut, he's 5, but he's been bald so much (chemo) that he's never had one and my 3yo ds hasn't had one yet either.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away, did I mention I'm really excited? ;) Thanks for any input!

When we were there, I saw a crib in the closet, so you do not need to bring a pack n play unless you want to. there is dish soap there. and dishwasher soap. it is a "full kitchen" has 2 burners, dishwasher, and full size fridge. there is also a full size washer and dryer. I would recommend bringing a pre treater for stains if they spill a lot. I went and purchased some at walmart, because i wanted them to get clean the first time. you might want to bring some extra laundry detergent. they "want" you to wash your towels during the week if they get soiled. there are samples there, but if i had needed to wash anything else, i would not have had enough soap.

as far as character meal- i would recommend chef mickey- dinner. they have a good buffett and ice cream bar. (they give you the pics that they take becasue you are a MAW) Mickey, minnie, chip dale, goofy, donald, max was there when we were there, and if it is peak time, there might be more characters.

I would recommend bring your own stroller for at least the youngest. the rentals(you get for free) would not be good for the youngest. hard molded plastic low to the ground and no storage.

Don't have time to write much, but just wanted to say hi and that you are expected to be excited (that's one of your assignments - LOL);)
I can see from your post that you have an 8 month old, a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. What are the ages of the other 2 kids?

You might want to also bring something you can carry the 8 month old in. You won't be waiting in long lines because of being on a MAW trip, but you might need some changes of postion for that little one.

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Don't have time to write much, but just wanted to say hi and that you are expected to be excited (that's one of your assignments - LOL);)
I can see from your post that you have an 8 month old, a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. What are the ages of the other 2 kids?

Well, I'm carrying out that part of the assignment really well and so are the kids! :bounce:

I have an 8yr old ds and 7 yr old, 5 yr old, 3 yr old and (right now) 6 month old sons.

ALOT of boys. I'm considering trying to get a ps for a princess meal for just ds and I (and the baby) while dh takes the older boys to do something more masculine, but I haven't decided yet, and I'm not sure if I have time to get a reservation.

Originally posted by Anne MN

I would recommend bring your own stroller for at least the youngest. the rentals(you get for free) would not be good for the youngest. hard molded plastic low to the ground and no storage.

Thanks for the information, especially the suggestion about the stroller, that was a question I had and forgot to ask! Do I need to do anything special to take it like have a special bag or anything for it?

Hi we are going on down on dec. 2 and so when I come back i can give you info. If you think of any questions or concerns let me know and I can try and check it out for you.
We have not made any ps dinners because monywise Iam not sure how much they well cost. Plus i firgured mickey and friends come to gktw and that would be a perfect time for pictures and such.

To let you know wal-mart is right down the road from gktw and is open 24 hours.

I really can't help you with baby dept. mine our 7 and almost 9 now but I do know that you do not need a bag over your stoller and you tag it right when you check it in...

I hope that ya'll have a wonderful time!!! We are leaving for our dd#2 wish trip tomorrow. She will be 7 tomorrow. She has never had a haircut before either. She will have her first haircut at the barber shop at the Magic Kingdom and donate it to Locks of Love. I am a little nervous and anxious about how I will handle seeing all her hair cut off. She lost all her hair when she went through chemo also.

I didn't mean to ramble on about that! Please let me know if there is anything special I can check on for you while we are at GKTW. Our dd#1 had her wish there is 2000. I think all your questions so far have been answered. If there is anything I can help with please let me know.

HI
Our wish trip was also done with lots of kids. At the time an 11,8,7 and a 3 yr old wish child. I would recommend definitely a stroller for the little one or a sit and stand. They take the strolleer at the door and place it up front for you so it will be available when you get off. The walk at the airport is far if I remember correctly so you will need it. Also a bottle or some gum for the take off would be great for their ears-No need to start off with ear pressure pain!My kids took one knapsack on the plane that the oldest carried not too heavy with coloring books -magic pen books and some special little things. DH and I had the diaper bag, feeding pump and nebulizer. I always carry a fanny pack for the important paper and money that doesn't come off of me. We did have to split up on the plane to sit so that wasn't to good. You'll have a great time. We loved the ice cream shoppe and the arcade. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions.
Debbie

Hi! When we were there the family went to Mickey's Toon Town Fair and we were given incredible access to the characters there. I cried the whole time. The volunteers at GKTW will tell you the places where you can get magical things .....

RE: Plane - absolutely gum! How long is the trip? I went to a store that no longer exists :( Zany Brainy and bought pocket travel games, a scrolling coloring book/lap desk etc. Your two older ones will be happy with CDs, i bet!

If you make reservations, make sure they are ones you can cancel without penalty. You may find you get enough character recognition (even just walking around the parks).. that you won't need to pay for any breakfasts etc... Also, GKTW has some events and opportunities that you may miss because you feel compelled to fill the ressies.... that happened to me and i still cringe when i think of it.

Disney dollars are great "good behavior" bribes and that includes time on the plane!

have a GREAT time and enjoy all the anticipation. ::yes::

Originally posted by mommie2angels
I hope that ya'll have a wonderful time!!! We are leaving for our dd#2 wish trip tomorrow. She will be 7 tomorrow. She has never had a haircut before either. She will have her first haircut at the barber shop at the Magic Kingdom and donate it to Locks of Love. I am a little nervous and anxious about how I will handle seeing all her hair cut off. She lost all her hair when she went through chemo also.

My DD had her first haircut on Main Street, too, in June of 2003 when she was 7. we took a padded envelope with the paperwork, ziplock bag, etc., with us. the barber knew all about Locks of Love. They gave DD a lot of attention, tons of stickers, and even the "1st haircut" mickey ears hat, which didn't even come close to fitting a 7-year-old, especially since we've all got such big heads on our family....

She had 12 inches cut off then. Now 8, she just donated another 12". I'm pretty proud of her wanting to help other kids. Her two older sisters have also donated twice (and me once) and we like to think of the strange hairpiece it would be if all our hair got put into one! (would you believe we're blonde, brown, auburn, and almost black?)

Anyway, it will be yet another special memory for your daughter. Not many people remember their first haircut. To remember that it was taken at WDW will be wonderful!

dj

Do you have to make appointments for the haircuts or is just on a walk in basis? If appointments does anyone have the phone number?

Thank you! We will be going in Feb for my son's 5th birthday through MAW. I know my dd would love to do this.

Lori

Originally posted by dj2
My DD had her first haircut on Main Street, too, in June of 2003 when she was 7. we took a padded envelope with the paperwork, ziplock bag, etc., with us. the barber knew all about Locks of Love. They gave DD a lot of attention, tons of stickers, and even the "1st haircut" mickey ears hat, which didn't even come close to fitting a 7-year-old, especially since we've all got such big heads on our family....

She had 12 inches cut off then. Now 8, she just donated another 12". I'm pretty proud of her wanting to help other kids. Her two older sisters have also donated twice (and me once) and we like to think of the strange hairpiece it would be if all our hair got put into one! (would you believe we're blonde, brown, auburn, and almost black?)

Anyway, it will be yet another special memory for your daughter. Not many people remember their first haircut. To remember that it was taken at WDW will be wonderful!

dj
and to know that the hair that she had cut off will benefit someone else is priceless.....

My younger DD just sent in 12 inches of hair to Locks of Love too. I forgot to send any pictures with the hair, but they have "before" and "after" pictures of both donors and recipients on their website. I imagine the volunteers would be really tickled to hear the hair came with extra pixie dust. princess:

Originally posted by mcmom
Do you have to make appointments for the haircuts or is just on a walk in basis?

They didn't take appointments. We were there for about an hour and a half, what with waiting our turn and then waiting for two haircuts (DD10 wanted a cut, too, but wanted to wait for the lady who did DD7's hair). But it was a busy Sunday in June in the afternoon. I'll bet there would have been a better time to drop in with a much shorter wait.

dj

Harmony is my "regular" barber shop. There has been recent publicity (Mid-Atlantic AAA Magazine) and it tends to be more crowded now than in the past. It is very rare that you will have less than an hour wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter