Glacier to Yellowstone

McKelly

DIS Veteran
How far is it from Glacier National Park to Yellowstone, timewise? If anyone has included Yellowstone, Glacier and Tetons in one trip, how many days did you take for all three parks and was it sufficient and what would you do different? Thanks!

I have done this a few times since I have relatives that live in Whitefish, MT (just west of Glacier). It is easily driveable in a day without rushing - I'm remembering somewhere around 6 to 7 hours tops. The one thing I have never done is to spend enough time in Yellowstone. In two days you can drive around and do a quick sightsee of most areas of the park, but if you want to spend more time exploring and hiking to some of the sites I would recommend another day or two.

Mostly the decision is how in depth you want to see things. Glacier can be driven thru in a day and you'll see a lot.....but it's a beautiful park that you can spend more time in should you choose.

I actually haven't done anything more than drive thru the Tetons and need to spend more time there on one of the next trips.

I would spend 2-3 days in Teton, 3 - 4 in Yellowstone. I would exit Yellowstone to the northeast and drive Bear Tooth Mountain Pass and stay the night in Red Lodge. It is a beautiful drive. Another option from Yellowstone to to exit the east entrance and go to Cody. I believe the entrance road is all completed by now. It was being totally reconstructed 3 years ago and when we left it was a mess. We stayed at a dude ranch just north west of Glacier and were supposed to visit after the Dude Ranch. Going to the Sun Road closed due to a mud slide so we saw very little of the park. Yellowstone is a huge park with lots to see and do. Plan to stay there some time! All 3 are absolutely beautiful. You should visit Rocky Mountain NP if you haven't. Also, the National Parks offers an annual pass for 80 for the family. A bargain in my eyes.

DH and I spent one long day in Glacier two years ago. It was the middle of a heat wave, and 100 degrees in the afternoon.

We arrived in the west side of the park around 8, drove across the Going to the Sun Road (which is stunning), paddled for about an hour on St. Mary's Lake on the East Side, had lunch at the East Glacier Lodge, drove back on Highway 2, reentered the West Side of the Park, spent about two or three hours floating in our kayaks on Lake MacDonald, and were back in Kalispell having dinner by 8 or so that evening.

We were in Yellowstone earlier this week. We left Bozeman late (around 10), drove into the park through West Yellowstone on Highway 191 (just beautiful), spent about an hour and a half in the middle of Disneyland like crowds at Old Faithful, and then looped around to the east end of the park and out on Highway 89. We got back to Bozeman about 7 that evening.

We weren't able to do any hiking because I was coming down with flu, but we did get out several times to look around. We encountered a bison on the road, and saw elk and deer.

We only did Grand Tetons (4 days as we wanted some time in the Jackson area outside the park) and Yellowstone 6 days (stayed 2 nights each in Old Faithful, Mammouth and Lake areas). I am glad we did several locations in Yellowstone as it is huge! I also wish we had a few more days there. Two full days in Grand Teton probably would be enough to get in a few hikes and see the highlights.

I am a firm believer in getting out of the car and off the pavement when in National Parks. Spend time with the Rangers too. Particualarly at Yellowstone, staying in the park is a real advantage . . . the drives from the towns to the great sights in the park are long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter