Glasses opinions for Universal

Cottoncandylove

Merrily, Merrily, Merrily...
I have reached an age where i have to wear glasses for everything now or everything is blurry and fuzzy. What's the best idea to keep my glasses on my head and still do rides? They are progressive, transitions so i don't switch with sunglasses or anything. I just wanted to hear what others used and what ideas were out there. Until this year i only wore readers so this is a new experience for me. Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I hope others will share info here for your question.

I’m new to wearing glasses and did not even think about how to do some rides (coasters) with them on.

My dad wore his glasses on all the rides with no issue. If your glasses are properly adjusted to where they fit you like they should, you should have no issue. I don't wear eyeglasses, but I always take my sunglasses to Lenscrafters before a trip and have them do an adjustment to make sure they are fitting me right and to make sure the hardware is tight. Its done for free there. As PP mentioned, you can get glasses straps/retainers to hook on them just in case.

One thing I would suggest is carrying an eyeglass repair case with you either in your park bag or at least in your luggage. You can get cheap ones on Amazon or even at the Dollar Tree, but make sure it comes with extra screws. I once had a sunglass lens fall out and lost a screw, but was able to fix it because I had that. You never know when that can happen or glasses will break, which would be just awful to have happen on vacation with no access to an eyeglass store or eye doctor!

My youngest son has worn eyeglasses since he was almost 1 year old, he is 11 now, one thing we do is make sure we have extra pairs with us, I think my wife has it now he has 2 regular sets and 1 set of transition also.

I recall a couple of rides where the ac works really well and coming outside he will have fogged up glasses.

So I had to start wearing glasses in my late 20’s and now 20 (ahhhem) years later I wear them all the time. As long as they are well adjusted, as a previous poster mentioned, it has not been a problem. With the exception of Rip ride rocket roller coaster I keep glasses on at all rides at Universal, Disney (Land and World). Hope you have fun seeing everything on your visit

Any tricks on preventing your glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask? My vision without my glasses isn't too bad but the glasses do make everything much clearer when they aren't fogged up that is.

My glasses fog up when I wear the mask at times.
It’s usually when I have my head tilted down when that happens.

Answering my own question here from what I asked earlier
Croakers is the strap I need to buy to secure my glasses on a few rides.

Any tricks on preventing your glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask? My vision without my glasses isn't too bad but the glasses do make everything much clearer when they aren't fogged up that is.
I would suggest a inner support frame for your mask. Its just a little plastic mold that looks like a cross and it holds the fabric away from your face that way you breathe easier. You can buy 3 for 15 at Amazon or make one for free with a 2 liter bottle on youtube!

I usually take mine off for major coasters only (like Hulk). From others experiences it seems they are likely to stay on but I just get nervous I might lost them. I essentially fold them and grip the temples and it works fine.

If it's a possibility for you, I would recommend getting daily contacts to wear for theme parks and water parks (water parks are especially annoying with glasses). This makes it so you don't have to worry about them at all and it really helps with 3d effects on rides and shows. I usually take my glasses with me to the park and leave them in the car. Then just put in the contacts when i head in and remove them when we leave and go back to my glasses.

My glasses fog up when I wear the mask at times.
It’s usually when I have my head tilted down when that happens.

Answering my own question here from what I asked earlier
Croakers is the strap I need to buy to secure my glasses on a few rides.
The simple solution goes back to my earlier post about the heat and humidity with each exhalation and that is a tight seal around the nose. As long as there are not gaps near your glasses it should decrease fogging.

We wear glasses for every ride. I don't do RRR or Hulk, but my husband and son have no problem wearing their glasses on them. No problems on anything. The only thing I do is switch to my sunglasses for water rides, so that my regular glasses don't get nasty, hard water spots on them. I do wear a croakie for my glasses on Rock n Roller Coaster at WDW DHS, because I tend to hit my glasses on the edge of the shoulder harness and have almost lost them.

EDIT: As for fogging with masks, I suggest getting a mask with a metal/plastic clip at the nose so that you can get a good tight fit. We rarely had fogging problems during our recent trip. Being outside helps a lot too.

Mine fell off on the big drop at Jurassic Park River Adventure. Thankfully they just fell onto the floor. They were recently adjusted too.

I’d recommend using straps for that ride at least.

Mine fell off on the big drop at Jurassic Park River Adventure. Thankfully they just fell onto the floor. They were recently adjusted too.

I’d recommend using straps for that ride at least.

Somebody had their head down in fear. ;)

I've never lost my glasses or sunglasses (if I was wearing contacts) on any ride - that I was wearing at the time. Only thing I lost was a pair of sunglasses on the Mummy that were hanging on my shirt.

Somebody had their head down in fear. ;)

I've never lost my glasses or sunglasses (if I was wearing contacts) on any ride - that I was wearing at the time. Only thing I lost was a pair of sunglasses on the Mummy that were hanging on my shirt.
I could have had my head down, but it wasn't in fear. Splash Mountain is my favorite Disney ride. :) JP has a steeper drop, could have been part of it.

I'd also wear them on HRRR and Hulk just to be sure. I also wore them on Hagrid's IIRC, but I don't think it's necessary on that, or Mummy.

My park bag has a croakie (strap) for each family member who wears glasses. DH and I both have bifocal, progressive, hi index, transitions, etc etc glasses. The replacement cost is astronomical, even with insurance, and we are both nearly blind without them. Since we drive from KY and stay offsite, we don't take any chances. I still bring an extra set, too, just in case.

I also keep an eyeglass repair kit in my park bag. DS19 has lost screws from his glasses many times. It's just worth it to know he can fix them if he needs to.

For fogging, I'm still having issues. I've tried the masks with bendy nose pieces, the kind that form fit over the nose, paper masks, and even just a tied bandana. Nothing is fool proof. A bottle of Cat Crap or other anti-fog spray helps, but needs to be reapplied often. I'm just resigned to being foggy.

DH, DD and I all wear glasses full time. Neither of them had any issues on the big coasters when we were there last year. I can only speak for the kid rides and MIB, which also did not have issues. When you forget to swap your prescription sunglasses for your regular glasses and go on MIB however things get more tricky. It was a choice of things being even more dark or things being dark and blurry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!