Gluten Free Dining Plan Reviews

We did ask for seconds on the bacon and fruit and the chef was happy to oblige but there just weren't any other options. Never hesitate to ask your server to let the chef know what additional items you'd like (or to ask to speak with him if there's anything else you'd like). Buffets are all you can eat so I expect my kids to be able to eat as much as they'd like just like the rest of us can.

That's good to know! No one asked if there was anything we needed or anything at either buffet, so I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to wave someone down and ask.

Our one experience with CP wasn't the greatest so we've avoided it but you certainly are making me want to give it another shot. I've read about their special gluten, milk and egg free brownies there so I really should try it again.

I think it can really, really depend on the chef. We had Chef Andrew at our breakfast there (not tried lunch - or the brownie - yet) and he was just really friendly and great. They had the Van's waffles when we went, and chocolate chip & blueberry muffins (I think they're the Kinnikinnick ones) as well, so that was cool for something unexpected and different. That was in October.

Count me in as somebody who wishes all chefs saw it as a default to bring food from the back. All the safe foods are always sitting beside unsafe foods and I've seen way too many people use the same tongs to get things from multiple trays. I'm even fine with asking for the food to be brought from the back but we've experienced the quasi eye roll and other similar responses when we've asked which always not only annoys me a bit but also worries me that the chef just doesn't understand the significance of cross contamination. Most chefs will gladly get stuff from the back when asked (again, I usually seem to have to ask which I don't understand) but we have dealt with a few chefs who seem put out by it.

I couldn't agree more. The chef at Cape May definitely seemed reluctant (they were busy, so I suspect that played a part) and it really showed in what arrived.

I can't believe I didn't make it to Babycakes. I'm not even sure I'll make it in August. I'm really looking forward to getting there eventually as the cake we ordered was delicious. One of these days......

Luckily we always have a car, and it's right there at the T-Rex entrance, so I just hop out and grab something and DH picks me back up usually. All those pretty things behind the glass are a little dangerous, though - my first stop there I went nuts and spent like $30.

Thank you so much for the additional reviews!!

Thanks for reading and responding!

Yay!! More reviews. Thanks so much. Looking forward to going to Mama Melrose now even more after reading your review. Can you tell me more about the flatbreads and cake? Were they both really good?

The flatbreads were great! I picked the four cheese. The crust is similar to the rolls - in taste and texture, and if I had to guess, I'd bet they are the Ener-G pizza crusts, but they were prepared perfectly and the toppings were awesome. I have heard that sometimes they just serve the Amy's pizzas for GF flatbreads, but I was glad to see that was not the case here (not a fan of the Amy's pizzas, really). The cake was almost like fudge, but a bit firmer. Very, very rich, cool, and velvety. I really enjoyed both. I'm 99% sure she said the Tiramisu minus Lady Fingers was also a dessert option (as well as the gelato).

DH had steak and loved his meal as well.

We had a similar experience with Cape May thus we now do not eat at any buffets unless it is the only option. We rather have less food that we know know is safe for DS and DH. I think we may try Mama Melrose next visit.

Yeah, DH is a buffet fan and a seafood fan, and I'm just not, so I knew going in I probably wouldn't have much luck. I did put on my allergen form that I hoped they might get in some of the Amy's mac & cheese or the Allergy Free chicken tenders (since gluten versions of both of those are on the buffet), but I don't think anyone ever looked at my form. DH really enjoyed it, so I can see me dropping him off in the future and hopping a boat to DHS or Epcot for something I'll enjoy as much as he enjoys his seafood! :D

Thanks for the reviews Alix! :thumbsup2

So glad you got a chance to get one of those parfaits! They are yummy! :banana:

Sorry you didn't have a great experience with 1900 PF, I've hesitated going there--I haven't heard good reviews and I had a horrid experience at the Garden View Tea Lounge. I wonder if anyone has seen TJ there lately...:confused3

Thanks for the reviews Alix! :thumbsup2

So glad you got a chance to get one of those parfaits! They are yummy! :banana:

Sorry you didn't have a great experience with 1900 PF, I've hesitated going there--I haven't heard good reviews and I had a horrid experience at the Garden View Tea Lounge. I wonder if anyone has seen TJ there lately...:confused3

We also had a terrible experience there even after listing the allergies ahead - it was a very frustrating time and it was on my mom's b-day so tough to take.

I'm looking forward to a return to MM though based on this thread :goodvibes

I don't think chef TJ actually comes out. I suspect he's in more of an overseeing or head chef type of role over all of food services at GF rather than working at a specific restaurant. I was hoping to meet him at 1900 PF but he didn't come out. Maybe for dinner? Who knows. I doubt we'll be back for breakfast but I may give dinner a try since there are so many different types of options for dinner.

As great as MM sounds, all the things listed in the review are things my kids can't eat including those GF crusts. I know they can get plain pasta or steaks but they can only eat so many steaks before wanting something else (at least DD10; DD13 could eat either steak or sushi just about every day and be happy) so I'm just not sure about MM. Maybe some day.

I don't worry about buffets. I just speak up and make sure my kids get something to eat. I do wait until they're served their food before I hit the buffet though because it just seems cruel to eat in front of them while they're waiting. I do think I'll end up trying Cape May for dinner this trip just because we'll be at the Yacht Club and my girls both like shell fish.

About the notes on the allergy forms. They've become useless. Every single chef I spoke with told me they didn't get the form sent to them ahead of time. Most hadn't seen it at all and the rest got the forms that morning. The woman from Special Diets said she sent the forms ahead of time and I even asked IPO if the club chefs had been sent our form to which they responded yes, but when I spoke with Chef Kim at Poly CL and Chef Johnny who oversees the allergy requests for Poly in room dining, neither saw the form or that they even had guests with allergies until the afternoon that we arrived. But, they remembered us from our previous trip and were WONDERFUL despite not being given any notification of our arrival. The notifications just aren't being sent out. I miss Brenda.

I don't think chef TJ actually comes out. I suspect he's in more of an overseeing or head chef type of role over all of food services at GF rather than working at a specific restaurant. I was hoping to meet him at 1900 PF but he didn't come out. Maybe for dinner? Who knows. I doubt we'll be back for breakfast but I may give dinner a try since there are so many different types of options for dinner.

As great as MM sounds, all the things listed in the review are things my kids can't eat including those GF crusts. I know they can get plain pasta or steaks but they can only eat so many steaks before wanting something else (at least DD10; DD13 could eat either steak or sushi just about every day and be happy) so I'm just not sure about MM. Maybe some day.

I don't worry about buffets. I just speak up and make sure my kids get something to eat. I do wait until they're served their food before I hit the buffet though because it just seems cruel to eat in front of them while they're waiting. I do think I'll end up trying Cape May for dinner this trip just because we'll be at the Yacht Club and my girls both like shell fish.

About the notes on the allergy forms. They've become useless. Every single chef I spoke with told me they didn't get the form sent to them ahead of time. Most hadn't seen it at all and the rest got the forms that morning. The woman from Special Diets said she sent the forms ahead of time and I even asked IPO if the club chefs had been sent our form to which they responded yes, but when I spoke with Chef Kim at Poly CL and Chef Johnny who oversees the allergy requests for Poly in room dining, neither saw the form or that they even had guests with allergies until the afternoon that we arrived. But, they remembered us from our previous trip and were WONDERFUL despite not being given any notification of our arrival. The notifications just aren't being sent out. I miss Brenda.

Interesting about Chef TJ. I never hear anything about him anymore and that certainly makes me sad...he has been the best chef I've encountered on property. He was so inventive with allergy friendly meals! Hmm...don't think I'll venture there for a while. We are having a breakfast at Grand floridian Cafe in May, so we'll see how that one fares.I've also got an ADR for Narcoosee's and I'm hoping they can make something better than sorbet for dessert.

MM and I do not have a good history. I got violently ill the last time I went there, and I still get the heebie jeebies even when I walk past! :lmao: Yeah, it'll be a while before I got there...

I agree the allergy forms are useless...We ate at Fresh Mediterranean last time and the chef came me grief b/c he didn't have my form. I submitted it well in advance, so it obviously didn't show up.

I agree...I miss Brenda...she was awesome...It's just not the same at special diets without her...:rolleyes1

Thanks for the reply Ambertides. I may have to try those flatbreads and chocolate cake at MM. They look so yummy!:yay:

Ambertides

I started this post before I went to bed last night and had to walk away because the cookie sandwich was making me hungry! Was that oatmeal chocolate chip? The food at Mama Melrose’s looks delicious! That’s good to know about the mixed drinks. I would have never thought that sweet and sour mix would have gluten in it. Yikes!

Thanks for the review!

About the notes on the allergy forms. They've become useless. Every single chef I spoke with told me they didn't get the form sent to them ahead of time. Most hadn't seen it at all and the rest got the forms that morning. The woman from Special Diets said she sent the forms ahead of time and I even asked IPO if the club chefs had been sent our form to which they responded yes, but when I spoke with Chef Kim at Poly CL and Chef Johnny who oversees the allergy requests for Poly in room dining, neither saw the form or that they even had guests with allergies until the afternoon that we arrived.

I agree. It has been my experience that my allergy is a “surprise” to the folks when I get to the restaurant.

I started this post before I went to bed last night and had to walk away because the cookie sandwich was making me hungry! Was that oatmeal chocolate chip? The food at Mama Melrose’s looks delicious! That’s good to know about the mixed drinks. I would have never thought that sweet and sour mix would have gluten in it. Yikes!

Just the plain chocolate chip. :) With vanilla icing. I asked her twice to make sure it was vanilla because of the color, but it was. :rotfl:

I mostly just stick to wine anymore, but occasionally there is something that looks cool and I ask.

Hey there everyone. Just found this thread and thought i would join in. Last February 2011 I went to WDW for the first time since discovering my gluten-allergy. Disney went above and beyond for me! I was so impressed. Here's how my vacation dining experiences went:

Day 1: I didn't think I could have anything in the CBR food court so I just got yogurt and had brought some g-free granola bars with me.

Wave for lunch was amazing. The chef came to the table and for the first time ever i was able to have a Reuben with my man! The bread was ok, but it was still exciting for me as it's his favorite food of all time. And the deserts were so much fun, the chef let me mix and match so i could have an all gluten-free sampler.

Cosmic Rays had a person go right up to the counter with me to ensure I knew what was g-free and I got to eat a burger...with a bun! Which was pretty amazing to me. Eating bunless burgers gets boring after a while.

Day 2: I forced my man to order a Mickey waffle at Port Royale so i could watch him eat it, and when we were talking about it the server told me the chef could make me g-free ones and I was over the moon! Having my mickey waffle is a tradition I thought I'd have to give up. it was really yummy. I did have to wait a little longer most times to get these different things. However it is really nice to meet all your chefs at every restaurant you go to!

We had lunch at Sunshine Seasons. i can't remember what I had but they helped me pick g-free stuff and they had packaged g-free brownies for desert.

San Angel Inn for dinner. The chef was hard to understand so i ordered carefully after he pointed out what was(or wasn't?) g-free. I had a stuffed poblano i think. I couldn't really see it in the dim light. The flan for desert was good.

Day 3: back to a bagel and yogurt for breakfast

50's Prime time for lunch. They suprised me with a pot pie g-free on the menu. I was excited about it till it came to the table as just the filling poured over g-free biscuits. i was really hoping for g-free pie shell. But of course the milk shake was amazing as usual.

Port Royale food court made a really good tropical burger with fried plantains on it for me. It was yummy. And of course i got to eat it with a bun! Fabulous.

Day 4: Yogurt for breakfast.

Lunch at a counter service in AK. Flame Tree BBQ i think. The pork itself was g-free and so was the rub. But after i left the line I poured on the BBQ sauce from the condiment bar and paid for it later. I'm not sure if it was a gluten problem or a soy problem. They were soooo good though. =P

Jiko for dinner. i wasn't feeling well so it sort of soured my experience. i couldn't eat the flat bread. I really wanted pan seared scallops that I'd had the last time I was there but they didn't have them. So I had steak, which was alright, but not as good as the scallops I was hoping for. At that point I just wanted to spend the evening as close to my resort room bathroom as possible. TMI! sorry.

Day 5: Eggs and bacon at Port Royale. Can't go wrong with that.

Planet Hollywood for lunch. I think I just had a salad with grilled chicken. It was ok. That place was way too crouded with table for me to even concentrate on the food.

It was a late lunch so no dinner.

And that's it. I had a great time meeting every chef at every restaurant. And I learned to always ASK because they will suprise you with what they can do g-free for you.

For my next trip I hope to try fried chicken at 50's prime time and see if Kona will make their macadamia pancakes g-free!

HI I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's someone knew in charge of special diets?

When we've gone in the past we've even sent a list of all places that are likely safe to eat at, as well s all the brands they carry.

We've also had tons of forms to fill out about our social diet - but his time - nothing. Just a thanks for letting us know you're coming.

It seems to me the chefs never really prepped in advance for GF anyhow, but still - the hours of filling in reservation numbers - and changing them six million time before our arrival made me feel good :rotfl: this time I feel like I'm missing something.

As it is - this will be our 3rd GF trip - the entire family has celiac's so at least everyone at the table eats the same.

We've had good chefs, not so good chefs, and bad chefs. We're going on a limb this time and having BF at CP (van's waffles? Really? ugh) and dinner at 1900 - BF last trip was a disaster - but both are character meals and I LOVE my character meals.

We do buffets quite a bit for that reason alone. But most of the time we ask for mickey waffles, bacon, and eggs for the table and pick through the fruit as they put the fresh platter out. We're not shy about asking someone from the service line to grab fruit or syrup or something from the back (explaining we have a gluten allergy and are concerned about cross-contact) so far so good.

This time we're try quite a few new (to us) restaurants, so hope they're good! But honestly we don't hold our breath - we're there for the atmosphere and the one or two awesome meals make up for the par, and sub-par meals. : ) can hardly wait! Single digit countdown is underway!

There definitely has been a change in how allergies are handled. Now, if you've got 3 or less foods to which you're allergic then you don't fill out the form. When booking your ADRs, just note on the ADR that you have a gluten allergy (yes I know it's not actually an allergy but that's how it's listed and it works to check that box). I first saw this before our August 2011 trip. I don't recall it being this way before our February 2011 trip. Basically I'm saying that the change happened somewhere between then.

Just got back from eating gluten-free in the parks. I have only been GF for a few months so I am still figuring it all out. The 2 best meals I had were at Kona and 50's Primetime.

At 50's I was able to have GF fried chicken that was AMAZING! Wow, it was so, so good! It came with the same mashed potatoes and veggies as everyone else, minus the gravy. Also had the brownie sundae for dessert made with the french meadow GF brownie. Took a little longer for the chicken to cook but totally worth it!

At Kona they made me the pineapple macadamia pancakes GF! Holy moly, I could barely tell the difference between the GF and regular pancakes. They were so good!

At Crystal Palace I was offered GF muffins, donut holes and waffles. I was not really craving starches so I just went with a waffle. I was bummed that it wasn't a mickey waffle...just a Van's waffle like I get at home. The chef seemed bummed that I didn't want all the other stuff!

Boardwalk Bakery had a nice GF selection...some muffins, brownies, etc.

Wolfgang Puck Express...chicken and mashed potatoes...same at Cosmic Ray's. Rose and Crown does have GF Fish and chips but I went with the Sunday Roast.

It is so easy to do GF at Disney...can't wait to see how it works on the Dream next year...

That's great to hear about Rose and Crown. I'd really like to know if the fish n chips stand right next to it can do theirs g-free. I'm guessing they don't have the resources for that though in their little stand.

I know they will do GF fish and chips at Cookes of Dublin in Downtown Disney if you are looking for a counter service!

We have been going to Disney every year for for 10 years, and with Celiac, it can be hard to dine at places where I live. When I go to Disney, I cry because I can eat almost ANYTHING!!! The employees are so nice and they take care of everything for you. Every restaurant I ate at on site could accompidate with Celiac... 4 more months! :)

We have been going to Disney every year for for 10 years, and with Celiac, it can be hard to dine at places where I live. When I go to Disney, I cry because I can eat almost ANYTHING!!! The employees are so nice and they take care of everything for you. Every restaurant I ate at on site could accompidate with Celiac... 4 more months! :)

I went for the first time with my gluten allergy last February '11. I almost cried myself. The first couple days I didn't even bother to ask about things like Mickey Waffles for breakfast because I just assumed(like at home) that I'd have to make the same sacrifices. But I met the chef at every restaurant, had things like pot pie and reubin sandwchiches...on bread! Burgers with BUNS! I was over the moon. I wish I could eat at Disney all the time.

I just got back from my 10 day trip to Disney World. With a 3 year old w/ Gluten (borderline Celiac), egg, and dairy allergies, Disney World is the best! At almost every place we went to eat and Chef came out to ask about the allergy and give us options. The fact that they had gluten free chicken tenders, BREAD!!!, and even cookies and brownies was amazing. Some restaurants offered pan-seared fish with no seasonings as an option.

My wife and I miss the Disney food options now. I would like to give Disney major kudos for giving those with food allergies such great service and truly making it the happiest place on Earth.

I just got back from my 10 day trip to Disney World. With a 3 year old w/ Gluten (borderline Celiac), egg, and dairy allergies, Disney World is the best! At almost every place we went to eat and Chef came out to ask about the allergy and give us options. The fact that they had gluten free chicken tenders, BREAD!!!, and even cookies and brownies was amazing. Some restaurants offered pan-seared fish with no seasonings as an option.

My wife and I miss the Disney food options now. I would like to give Disney major kudos for giving those with food allergies such great service and truly making it the happiest place on Earth.

You were served gluten, egg and milk free bread and brownies? Do you by any chance remember what brands those were? In February they only had the Udi's breads and OMG...It's Gluten Free brownies, both of which contained eggs. The only cookies we could find that were free of all of these were the Enjoy Life ones. Were these the ones you were served or have they come up with other options?

When we were there last we had Divvies cookies and French Meadow brownies. I'd love to know what kind of bread available!! The only bread I remember having was a sad little hockey puck masquerading as a hamburger bun at Sci Fi and corn bread at Whispering Canyon, which was awesome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter