Gluten free in parks and okw?

Sfrenchies

Earning My Ears
Hi all, interested in any info on gluten free options, experiences anyone has had in the parks or hotels? We go to the parks often but gluten free is new for us since we just found out my toddler is celiac. Suggestions on spots to get gluten free snacks, even simple things like French fries will be much appreciated thank you.

There are tons of gluten free options! I went last year with my sister and niece who are both gluten free and they never had a hard time finding food! If you look at mobile ordering on the app, it will show you the allergy friendly menu, including gluten free options - just pretend like you're going to make an order. There's also a website that you can google (not sure if I can post it) that does reviews on gluten free dining at table service restaurants. And I think the french fries are fine to eat - they never had any issues with them!

I've just recently gone gluten free too and I found WDW to be great at handling it. When you get to the place you want to eat something, tell the person taking your order that you need gluten free. Some places will actually have one of the managers come out and take your order. Your gluten free item will be made in a separate area of the kitchen so it doesn't get cross-contaminated. One of the benefits of this process is that your food will be made fresh when you order it. :) Most places have gluten free bread and buns, so you can order many of the sandwiches and burgers, just request them with GF bread/buns.

Here are a couple of good experiences I had:
Woody's Lunchbox - I ordered a GF grilled cheese sandwich from the kids menu. It was pleasantly surprised with it. I found myself wishing I would've gotten the full-sized adult grilled cheese!
Pizza window on the Boardwalk - They make a GF pizza. I was a little hesitant to order it, but I did and I'm glad I did. It was pretty tasty!

Not so good experience:
At the Roaring Fork (wilderness lodge) I ordered a GF brownie. It was a packaged brownie and was dry, dry, dry and very bland.

When looking for a "treat", I found it best to stick to things that are naturally GF. Like the krispie treats or ice cream. I actually haven't seen any "fresh baked goods" that are GF (like the fancy cupcakes or cookies). If someone else has seen these in the parks, please let me know. I would love to try them on my next trip!!! :) I keep hoping Disney will step up their game in this area in the near future!

I've just recently gone gluten free too and I found WDW to be great at handling it. When you get to the place you want to eat something, tell the person taking your order that you need gluten free. Some places will actually have one of the managers come out and take your order. Your gluten free item will be made in a separate area of the kitchen so it doesn't get cross-contaminated. One of the benefits of this process is that your food will be made fresh when you order it. :) Most places have gluten free bread and buns, so you can order many of the sandwiches and burgers, just request them with GF bread/buns.

Here are a couple of good experiences I had:
Woody's Lunchbox - I ordered a GF grilled cheese sandwich from the kids menu. It was pleasantly surprised with it. I found myself wishing I would've gotten the full-sized adult grilled cheese!
Pizza window on the Boardwalk - They make a GF pizza. I was a little hesitant to order it, but I did and I'm glad I did. It was pretty tasty!

Not so good experience:
At the Roaring Fork (wilderness lodge) I ordered a GF brownie. It was a packaged brownie and was dry, dry, dry and very bland.

When looking for a "treat", I found it best to stick to things that are naturally GF. Like the krispie treats or ice cream. I actually haven't seen any "fresh baked goods" that are GF (like the fancy cupcakes or cookies). If someone else has seen these in the parks, please let me know. I would love to try them on my next trip!!! :) I keep hoping Disney will step up their game in this area in the near future!

I have heard both Sprinkles in DS and Erin McKenna are good for specialty gf baked goods.

Just an fyi that the rice krispy treats are not gf... they contain malt/barley (may not be an issue for people who just eat gf but definitely not celiac safe)

I have found some very helpful Facebook groups and websites specifically about gf in Disney. My kids are celiac and we are really looking forward to all the great gf choices.

There are gf fries, nuggets etc on kids menus at several locations in each park for sure, the Mickey bars are safe, as is the popcorn. Most places that have Mickey waffles have allergy safe type as well.

If your toddler is at risk to cross-contamination issues like our son is, I would highly recommend always asking to speak to chefs at table service restaurants, and managers at quick-service restaurants and explain the risk. Be sure to specify celiac vs. gluten-free. Restaurants can have dedicated fryers to make celiac-safe french fries or chicken nuggets, but always confirm they are indeed safe and not using filtered (aka recycled) oil from other fryers. Columbia Harbour House is always our go-to spot for the best safe chicken tenders and fries.

You can get fantastic gluten-free beignets at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory at Port Orleans - French Quarter

Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT has a nice selection of gluten free snacks

We were a bit overwhelmed going in to our first WDW trip after our son's celiac diagnosis but there really are a lot of great options and we haven't had any issues (well......one snafu at the Plaza) and we have been several times since.

I’m gluten free and dairy free. The allergy menus are really helpful, but it also never hurts to ask if they can modify something...especially at table service spots. I was brought everything from safe Mickey waffles to breads and desserts. POFQ also offers gluten free beignets and Erin McKenna’s has a TON of options.

I have heard both Sprinkles in DS and Erin McKenna are good for specialty gf baked goods.

Just an fyi that the rice krispy treats are not gf... they contain malt/barley (may not be an issue for people who just eat gf but definitely not celiac safe)

I have found some very helpful Facebook groups and websites specifically about gf in Disney. My kids are celiac and we are really looking forward to all the great gf choices.

There are gf fries, nuggets etc on kids menus at several locations in each park for sure, the Mickey bars are safe, as is the popcorn. Most places that have Mickey waffles have allergy safe type as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the Krispie treats!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Krispie treats!!!
Np!
There actually are gluten free krispy treats at Starbucks but they're individually wrapped and labeled gf... the big fancy ones at bakeries etc in Disney are not, nor are regular rice krispie cereal (but gf alternatives are available)

You can also email the Special Diets department — Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com; or call them at (407) 824-5967.
They will provide a list of some of the specialty items like allergy free chicken tenders or waffles and where to find them across all the parks and resorts since not all restaurants have the same items. You can ask to speak to a chef wherever you go. We’ve gone with multiple allergies across multiple people and they’ve always been accommodating.

I've done at least 10 trips to WDW since having to go GF and I've never had a bad experience or gotten ill. As others suggested, start looking up restaurants online. Just please don't look at pinterest as your main source! There was an article featured on the Dis a while ago where the author tried to do a GF trip and was highly disappointed with what was available... but she did all her research on pinterest! :rolleyes: She didn't do actual research on the numerous websites where people post their experiences on eating GF in the parks and resorts. You can also do a search on here as GF threads pop up frequently. Sometimes they're on the Special Needs boards, so you can look there also.

I absolutely can't stand Erin McKenna's baked goods. She uses a lot of bean flours, which give a weird aftertaste, and the items are also dairy free, I believe. Sprinkles is a MUCH, MUCH better choice for a gf baked good. I had the red velvet cupcake twice on my last trip!
You can get fantastic gluten-free beignets at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory at Port Orleans - French Quarter
The beignets are a MUST for me! However, they are no longer in the Sassagoula QS, they moved all the beignets (GF and regular) to Scat Cat's, which is right outside the entrance to Sassagoula.

As everyone has said Disney does a very good job with GF. My wife also has Celiac's. Disney has had several Celiac foundations come in and advice them on safe practices. They have separate dedicated kitchen areas, including fryers and boiling stations. They will have a manager personally prep your order and bring it directly to you. Your food does not get mingled in the delivery area. She is particularly fond of Mama Melrose's, the aforementioned Beignets, and going to Ample Hills. At Ample Hills they have detailed list for all the ice cream flavors, so you know what is safe. They then go to the back and take your ice cream off the top of an unopened tub to avoid cross contamination with the scoops in the standard serving area.

We had a good experience at OKW with my GF teen. The counter service place at OKW is small, but still had a good selection for my son. He got plenty of allergy friendly chicken and French fries.

https://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/
This is our go to website for planning GF meals.

I will give a second vote for Sprinkles. At our last visit, Sprinkles had gf cookies and brownies in addition to the cup cake. My son does not like the cupcakes at Erin McKennas, but he doesn’t have to worry much about cross contamination. He did like the cookies and doughnuts there though.

Hubby and I both have celiac, and we are fans of Erin McKenna's, but some of her stuff is a lot better than others. I haven't tried the cupcakes (because I've read so many bad reviews of them), but the lemon tea cake is amazing, and we really love her cookies too.

We haven't tried the Sprinkles GF cupcake - can anyone confirm that it's safe from cross contamination?

Thank you so much for all the advice I feel so much better now, I was originally a little concerned. Thanks again!

We haven't tried the Sprinkles GF cupcake - can anyone confirm that it's safe from cross contamination?
I didn't have an issue, but I'm not that sensitive to very small amounts of gluten either. And I didn't ask about the preparation, although I did order two regular cupcakes for my daughter at the same time and they asked me if I wanted them packaged separately from the gluten free one, which I did have them do.

Allergy-friendly menus should be available anywhere you go, especially table service restaurants. Disney is used to food allergies/sensitivities.
This website is great and shows all the allergy friendly menus. We were there in July and I felt like they catered to me more than anyone in our party. It was amazing.

Thanks for setting up this post. My DD was recently diagnosed with Celiacs and we have heard great things about gluten free options at WDW. We are going back to Disney this year and it will be the first time since her diagnosis. I was wondering how others feel about how safe mobile ordering would be in this case. Is it best to order at the counter of QS and talk to a manager?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter