Goal- bring the family to Disney!

MandiC

DIS Veteran
I'm a stay at home mom who has been bit by the Disney bug ;) I never really had any interest, I hadn't gone as a child and just figured it was one of those unreasonable, unreachable things that there was no sense in worrying about. Well, now that we have gone I am determined ;) I want to bring my girls back and I want to bring my boys on their first trip and I want to pay for it MYSELF. I am sure we could save our way there but I just want to surprise my husband, I think it would be awesome for him to not have to stress about saving the money for it. My goal is to go back before our 8 year old is 10, which gives me a 'deadline' of April 2016, a little under 2 years. I am actually hoping to go next fall (2015) but we will see how successful I am ;)
My goal is $7,000. I am hoping that as a family of 6 we can stay in the cabins at Fort Wilderness during a free dining period to help defer some of the cost (full kitchen to make any meals not covered by dining plan). Currently the rate for the amount of time I am planning at the time of year I'd like would be $3,723. I'm not even bothering pricing out flights. Right now though Southwest is running a deal where we could fly all 6 of us there for under $1,300. I am hoping they run a similar deal next year! Tickets, we will be doing 6 park days, that would currently be about $1,800. Spending money likely won't be too big of a deal, grandparents were happy to give Disney gift cards as gifts leading up to this last trip. Even if we just have to use $1,000 out of savings it would be a great relief!
Speaking of grandparents, the in-laws and my dad both expressed interest in coming with us the next time we go. Positives and negatives to this but it could change my budget for the better, they have all said they wouldn't mind some of the kids rooming in with them so we could stay in normal rooms which would reduce our costs...but then we'd lose that kitchen. We've also thought about splitting the costs of a 3 bedroom suite which could be feasible though I haven't really priced it out to be sure. Something I definitely plan on looking into as the time gets closer if they seem more sure of coming with next time.
I do know several things
*I want to stay on-site. I loved being immersed in the magic, I love all the resorts and want to try several of them.
*I priced out Art of Animation family suites also, which I am not opposed to (the kids would love them that is for sure) but they are not that much cheaper than the cabins and if we do happen to go during a free dining period it would actually cost more to stay at AoA and upgrade to the regular dining plan (rather than the quick service that comes with it) than to pay for a cabin at FW that includes the regular dining plan. FW is more our style anyways, we love the outdoors.
*I would like to stay during free dining. It would also be nice if we were there for DS4's birthday, which is Dec. 13. We could get the holiday stuff + his birthday + free dining if it runs the same time period again. Other than not wanting to be there during the busy times of Halloween and Thanksgiving I am not opposed to anytime after the 3rd week of December.
*We really did enjoy February, and living where we do it is nice to escape winter in the February/March timeframe...but I really want free dining (makes a difference with a family of 6!) and I'd love to experience the holidays there.
*We'll be renting a car unless by some chance we decide to rent points for Bay Lake Tower with the grandparents (we'd lose the free dining benefit if we do this though) Fortunately my husband gets awesome rental car rates due to his job.

As far as 'how' I will save this money. I'm exploring several work at home options right now. Mostly transcribing stuff, but a friend may also need me to watch her children this summer. Any money I make will be going directly into my savings fund. I also have a Disney savings 'jar' as I am sure many Disney fans do ;) I don't expect to get much more than a little spending money out of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter