Going camping need camp fire food to cook!

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
Any easy and yummy ideas to cook over a fire? Of course we will have our grill. Where we are going they said there is berry picking so would love to find something I could make with the berries, I was thinking a cobble but how to I get the top to crisp?
But anything easy!
Thanks?

on top......then a veggie of choice...of course we always did the sliced carrots......you do this on aluminum foil and pull it together......then cook fifteen minutes on one side and turn and another ten or fifteen.....really easy and so good........we also like american chop suey......macaroni...already cooked at home....or on the fire......scrambled hamburg......onions.....and either stewed tomatoes.....or a jar of sauce.....a loaf of garlic bread in aluminum foil already for the grill........yummy:jester:

in a big pot and then putting them in italian rolls and warming up over the fire for meatball subs

Thanks Pumba, I like the Idea of the Macaroni! So I will put that on our list! This will be an interesting camp out, 2 families! The kids can't wait! Thanks again!

One yummy thing we like to do is baked apples. We slice an apple in half and sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on it. Then put the halves back together and wrap the apple in tin foil. Throw it over the fire for 1/2 or so and you end up with something that tastes like apple pie without the pie crust.

When I was a kid, and we were lucky enough to find berries, my Mom would make a sort of jam by cooking the berries with some sugar in a pot. Then she would make tea biscuits or scones in a cast iron frying pan over the fire, turning them once to brown on both sides. MMMMMMM, I can still taste the rasberry jam done that way.
You might also try this. Using fairly large, double thickness squares of foil, make a sort of cup shape, put in some berries, sugar and maybe a little juice or water (not much, as the berries will probably be juicy) then sprinkle dry cake mix over it, close the top tightly and place in the coals to cook for about 1/2 and hour. This should come out sort of like a cobbler. I know this sounds weird, but I've done it with applesauce and dry gingerbread cake mix and it works.
Some of the other things I like to do are: twisters- make up a thick tea biscuit dough, form it into long pieces (about 8 inches or so and about 1 inch in diameter) and then twist it around the end of a faily large stick. Cook over the coals until done. Slide it off the stick carefully, and then fill with butter and jam or whatever tickles your fancy. You can also do the same sort of thing by wrapping the dough around a hot dog (make sure the dog is completely covered or it will burn before the dough cooks) and voila! hot dogs in their own little buns.
Whatever you decide to make, it will be great, because everything tastes better in the great outdoors.

Check out
http://www.melborponsti.com/dutch/index.htm . They have great camping and dutch oven recipes that we have used with Girl and Boy Scouts.

Can't say I have ever done berries, but you can crisp cobbler with a dutch oven. They are a great camping investment, but get the kind with the flat top so you can put coals on top as well as underneath. You could also do a shortcake-type dessert.

Have fun!

I was just putting the stuff together for the boy scout campout and one of the things I put together is the dry ingredients for a cobbler.

For 16-20 people:

in a gallon plastic bag:
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar

When ready to cook add 2 cups milk and about a 1/2 cup melted margine or butter.

Mix well in the bag.

pour about 1/3 of batter on bottom of pan.

Put sweetened fruit and juice over batter (this time they are using 4 cans of apple pie filling last time they use 4 cans of peaches in heavy syrup).

Top with remainder of batter and dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Dig a hole for dutch oven and line as described above and cook in ground as described above.

Hope this helps, the guys love this and make it everytime they go camping which is about once a month.

Thanks for the cooking site given. It really has some great ideas that I know we will enjoy using.

Although smores are our all time favorite- Banana boats are right up there.
You take a banana, and cut a rectangular flap the length of the banana on the short curved side. (I hope that made sense) then pull back the flap, exposing the banana inside, then take a knife and cut a v-shaped section out of the banana the length of the flap, so you sort of have a canoe looking thing. Then comes the good part, you fill the cavity with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, marshmallows, cut up caramels, whatever. then replace the flap and double wrap with foil. Place banana in the coals for about 10-15 min. (approx. depending on the heat of the coals) Open and enjoy. Beware they are hot!!!
Yum- this makes me want to go camping!:pinkbounc

Oh my gosh those banana boats sound unbelievable! That will be a must! I really appreciate all of the yummy advice! So I have my shopping list tucked away! We aren't going till 4th of July! But I can't wait!
Thanks everyone!

we have a set of sandwich irons ffor camp fire cooking. We usually on the first night do something simple like grilled cheese in it, and serve it with canned tomato soup. The best thing though is to make little pies in it. place 2 pieces of lightly buttered bread butter side "out" in the irons, and put a spoonful of pie filling in each half. I have also read corn bread , waffle or muffin mix can be cooked in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter