Going every Sunday all year - planning strategies for AP?

My husband and I moved to Orlando in May because we love Florida and Disney. We were so overwhelmed when we first got here because the amount of things to do was HUGE (unlike where we came from). I had lists ten pages long of everything we needed to do to catch up. Now we have the list down to one page, and mainly go to try new foods and check out new restaurant openings, or to do special things like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. We go 1-2 times per week and still love spending the night in Disney hotels once in awhile. The magic hasn't died for us, but the way we do Disney has definitely changed and we get a whole new perspective as a local. Our conversations with cast members sure have changed too lol! We had to stop buying as much merch as we used to. Now we take pics of the things we like and move on without spending....we had to learn that we can't buy merch every time we visit or we would be broke.

You guys have the best advice - I'm bookmarking this page so I can keep referring back :) So many things I've never heard of like Sorcerers which will be so fun to explore! We will be living 30 minutes away so close enough to go once a week but I doubt we will be going just for coffee !

I've only been to WDW once 4 years ago. We are moving to Orlando in December and will be purchasing Gold AP for our family of 5 with 3 kids (6,3,3). We'd like to plan on going 40 times during the year - always Sundays (we have very limited weekday availability next year unfortunately). We'd like to cover all of the 4 parks during this time. Any good blogs or schedules or itineraries for doing something like this? I'm overwhelmed just trying to plan it all out!
We’re doing the same thing! Made the decision less than a month ago and we’re making the move in late December. Relocating from California with my wife, two sons, and our two dogs. Really looking forward to spending A LOT more time in our very favorite place. Hope to meet many of you soon!

No advice because I can only dream of being in this situation. Maybe one day- retirement could find us moving towards Orlando- lol
I just basically commented to say how jealous I am! :rotfl2:

Will be interested to read all the good advice you get from here though! Maybe one day.......

Made the decision less than a month ago and we’re making the move in late December. Relocating from California with my wife, two sons, and our two dogs. Really looking forward to spending A LOT more time in our very favorite place.
No advice because I can only dream of being in this situation. Maybe one day- retirement could find us moving towards Orlando
We did just that over two decades ago but not because of Disney. And even though we're less than 15 minutes away from WDW, I'm rarely at WDW as a guest and that continues to be the case. Not to worry though, I got plenty of Disney, just in another way.

We did just that over two decades ago but not because of Disney. And even though we're less than 15 minutes away from WDW, I'm rarely at WDW as a guest and that continues to be the case. Not to worry though, I got plenty of Disney, just in another way.

Oh my husband dreams of driving the ferry that takes people to MK and I guess I could take up tickets or work at a shop on Main Street- lol.
It's definitely been a consideration- we'll see where life takes us! Right now we have one in college and the second will be next year- so it will be a while.....

Oh my husband dreams of driving the ferry that takes people to MK and I guess I could take up tickets or work at a shop on Main Street- lol.
It's definitely been a consideration- we'll see where life takes us! Right now we have one in college and the second will be next year- so it will be a while.....

My husband would like to be a WDW bus driver. It is his forever goal! We have friends who moved to Orlando 10+ years ago and one of them works in Guest Relations at DAK. We try to visit once every year or two and the desire to move to the Sunshine State grows each time. If only we didn't have to have these pesky jobs that actually pay a somewhat living wage and all that.....Disney pay leaves a lot to be desired. One dayyyyyy. :)

I'd love the a idea of dropping in without any pressure, even if it's for 2-3 hours at a time. And even if it's just for dinner or to catch a single show or to ride the latest attraction for a night out. There's no pressure to plan anything at all if you don't want to. Maybe each person in your family gets to pick a park and three must-do Fastpasses, and you rotate that responsibility... and see what people come up with!

Having WDW in your own backyard must be such an amazing perk of living in Orlando. Have an amazing time!

We’re doing the same thing! Made the decision less than a month ago and we’re making the move in late December. Relocating from California with my wife, two sons, and our two dogs. Really looking forward to spending A LOT more time in our very favorite place. Hope to meet many of you soon!
Any trepidations about Florida? We love California so much except for cost of living. But Florida is very different.

I'd love the a idea of dropping in without any pressure, even if it's for 2-3 hours at a time. And even if it's just for dinner or to catch a single show or to ride the latest attraction for a night out. There's no pressure to plan anything at all if you don't want to. Maybe each person in your family gets to pick a park and three must-do Fastpasses, and you rotate that responsibility... and see what people come up with!

Having WDW in your own backyard must be such an amazing perk of living in Orlando. Have an amazing time!
Sorry if we are getting off topic but I must be one of the few that loves having WDW just as a vacation and has no interest in the everyday. I like that it’s special, rare, a fun thing to thing forward to. I like the planning. I also love doing everything else life has to offer. I enjoy my day to day but also love disappearing for 6, 7, 8 days into Disney to have fun and feel rejuvenated for real life. To each their own :groom:

Sorry if we are getting off topic but I must be one of the few that loves having WDW just as a vacation and has no interest in the everyday. I like that it’s special, rare, a fun thing to thing forward to. I like the planning. I also love doing everything else life has to offer. I enjoy my day to day but also love disappearing for 6, 7, 8 days into Disney to have fun and feel rejuvenated for real life. To each their own :groom:

Oh no doubt. I live in southern California and am just relating to having the best of both worlds. I visit Disneyland several times a year and drop in for just a few hours here and there, and only occasionally do a full day trip if a friend is in town. I love having a Disney theme park just an hour away by car.

Then, for me, the resort on the opposite coast is the vacation and escape. Going there on occasion lets me rejuvenate for life. I pack my vacation clothes and become the relaxed off-duty Bryan who is miles away from any life responsibility. I guess if I were to live in Orlando, I would flip this around. WDW would be my day-to-day entertainment and I'd possibly escape away to another Disney resort if I wanted a theme park vacation experience.

Any trepidations about Florida? We love California so much except for cost of living. But Florida is very different.
Trepidations about humidity. But closer to family, more likely to see friends since most of them are located on east coast and trips to Florida are much easier than cross country. But cost of living is a huge factor in addition to being close to a place that brings the entire family joy. Life is all about seeking out those places. We’ve had the great fortune of living in some spectacular areas. Now it’s time for our Florida adventure.

Welcome to the DIS and soon FL!

Years ago, we use to have an active Central Florida DISers group here on the boards, but that's fizzled out over time. We'd meet monthly at a park.

I've been an AP holder for over 20 years. As @yulilin3 mentioned, food can really hurt the budget if it's not planned for. With most snacks around $5, that adds up. Not to mention meals if you stay all day.

The best thing with an AP and going frequently is that you'll have time to "stop and smell the roses".

I've been spending almost every day at WDW since the beginning of Nov and will continue til I'm blacked out in Dec. I'm killing time while my teen son is at rehearsals. And what a fun way to be spending that time!! Also, best date nights with my DH!!

Enjoy your AP and this great Florida weather!

:welcome: to DISboards!

And an early welcome to Florida! Wishing you a safe and smooth move!

Trepidations about humidity.

Tropical heat and humidity is why DW and I remain snowbirds. For us "northerners" it is quite oppressive. Conversely, I have met native Floridians who feel just the opposite.

Life is all about seeking out those places. We’ve had the great fortune of living in some spectacular areas. Now it’s time for our Florida adventure.

Wonderful!

DW and I also had the good fortune to live in California, Bay area, for 5 years. We loved it! A job transfer took us back to the east coast. Where we love living in NH. And now we are enjoying our seasonal Florida adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter