Going on a cruise in a wheelchair questions....

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
My dh and are have decided to go on a Royal Caribbean Cruise in Sept. for our 10 year anniversary. We did one for our honeymoon when I was mobile and it was wonderful. I'm willing to do my 1st non-WDW vacation in my chair but have alot of questions!! I'm hoping some of you may have some advice. I don't want to do a package deal (airfare & transportation to/from the ship) for the following reasons: I don't
want to have a layover and I can't go on the buses they use to transport passengers. The ship leaves from Fort Lauderdale but I found great airfares to Miami. We would fly down the night before but we would need transportation from Miami to Fort Lauderdale (and back). What would be the best way to do this? Is there anything I should arrange ahead of time with Royal Caribbean? Is it easy to get to the Islands in a wheelchair? I'm very nervous about doing this but I was worried about going to WDW for the first time lasy year in my wheelchair and it was wonderful!! We're seeing a travel agent tomorrow so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Thank you very much!!!
Christine

Honestly you would be better flying into Ft Lauderdale. The Miami Airport area is a zoo. And aside from STS (special transport services) I do not know of any wheelchair accessible taxi services. GEtting to the Tri-Rail would be a problem and so would be getting from Tri-Rail to the boat.

Thanks Talking hands!! We decided to fly into Fort Laurderdale.
I did find out that Yellow cab has wheelchair accessible vans. I'm still not sure if we'll be able able to get from the ship to the ports of call (Cozumel and Grand Cayman). If any one had any experiences on taking a cruise in a wheelchair, I would love to hear about do's and don'ts and suggestions you may have :D

Christine, The only cruise I have taken was DCL, loved it, but I was wondering about cruising with other lines also.

The biggest ? to ask guest relations is... Do they dock or tender at the islands? If they dock your trip will be made MUCH easier.
Finding a taxi is not too hard if you are taking a foldable w/c.
Nassau was not accessible.. no curb cuts, rough sidewalks (where there were sidewalks) If you find out that you are able to dock at a particular island, do some heavy research on places you want to visit. It seems that the newer resorts are more accessible, having elevators etc.
Sorry I could not answer more ?s. I will be looking forward to seeing you report on your trip when you return.
Happy Sailing!
Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter