Going on the 2019 transatlantic to Barcelona, any tips?

emily elkins

Earning My Ears
Hi,
My family and I are going on a Disney cruise in 2019. This cruise is transatlantic to Barcelona. I was wondering if anyone has gone on one and experience/ tips/ activities to do? and is there anything fun to do specifically for college ages?

i'm on this one!! check out the DCL blog website - Scott uploads Navigators (daily program) and the Transatlantic ones always look great in terms of activities.

Being a longer cruise you will probably have a chance to do behind the scenes tours of the theatrical stage (usually given by cast members who are in the shows) and the galley. On our WBTA we loved the scavenger hunts offered at the excursions desk where you got a card with 10 photos taken of parts of various themed items (uniforms, photos/paintings, chairs, carpets, etc.) located all over the ship. It is hard and similar to the detective agency one on the larger ships, but without the animated pictures. We met other folks in the hallways with cards and puzzled faces...compared notes. Fill it out and return it by 10 pm. and you are entered in drawing for some DCL swag. Because there are so few kids (we only had 200), the clubs should be a breeze but hard on performers at the evening shows when they are looking for young volunteers. We had great fun at the Jack Jack Diaper Dash in the atrium when only a few crawlers showed up. For the final race one of the dads volunteered to fill the field and bumbled and stumbled his way to loosing. What a hoot. There are classes you can attend free that involve napkin folding, cooking demos, etc. There is plenty to do at sea. Also, Barcelona is an awesome city that required several days for us to see/do. Watch for pickpockets and read Rick Steves books on what to see and do at all your European ports. Cruise on...!!

I've always found that the hardest part of a DCL cruise is deciding what NOT to do - because activities that I want to do overlap with each other. And then the frustrating thing is there will be a few 3 hour blocks of time where there's nothing that interests me .... I need DCL to spread out what I Want to do - so I can do it all :teeth: You know its all about ME!! :smooth: Oops sorry, got carried away a little bit!!:rolleyes1

On-board, just look at the daily navigator every night to see whats on tap for tomorrow. (and DCL Navigator APP - download before leaving home)

Barcelona - don't know how much time you have there - it is a great city - but La Sagrada Familia is a must see. We have enjoyed walking around Parc Guell. There's a hop on / off "touristic" bus - three routes, great overview of the city. We took a walking tour of the old town though the tourism center in Placa Catalunya. Walking Las Rambles. Go up Mount Tibidabo (via tram blue and the funicular) and get an awesome view of the city and the Med and visit the Cathedral up there (Sagrat Cor - "Sacred Heart"). Picasso Museum. and on and on. I have not been to Montserrat - an hour out of town, but I do want to go there someday.

Get the Rick Steves Barcelona guide book and decide what you would like to do. There's lots to do and see.

Just to reinforce @ajrabbit’s comments about Barcelona, definitely worthwhile spending some time in the city before heading back across the Atlantic. We’ve been there four times now, for Med. Cruise, two WBTAs that departed from Barcelona, and the most recent EBTA. We’re going back again on that 2019 EBTA. We did the sites identified above while in Barcelona and also have done a half-day small group tour to Montserrat (Barcelona Day Tours—recommended). Rick Steves recommends some out-of-the-way restaurants that were reasonably priced and had excellent food.

ETA: It was Barcelona Day Tours that we used, rather than Barcelona City Tours (if there is such an organization)

Last edited:

As others have said make sure to spend some time in Barcelona if you can. Agree that La Sangrada Familia is a must and definitely recommend going up one of the towers. And make sure to have some paella while you are there!

While in Barcelona twice we used Barcelona Day Tours... They were fantastic! We toured Cava, Montserrat, Costa Brava and did the Barcelona City Tour. They picked us up at the cruise port, held our luggage in the vehicle for the day and dropped us at our hotel later in the afternoon. It was exceptional! The next day they picked us up at our hotel ... we toured all day and they dropped us back at our hotel!
Also, we stayed outside the tourist area at the Novotel Barcelona City. I was a bit worried at first but it was a great clean hotel with a rooftop restaurant and pool! The kids (ages 10 and 8) loved the family night party with face painters and a magician.
Have a great trip!

Ditto the suggestion above to use Barcelona Day Tours...they were very good! Especially enjoyed Montserrat and Cava region....well Barcelona City tour was also excellent!

Also, while on the TA Cruise, we realized we would probably be too tired the day we disembarked to do the City Tour and the night tour. I emailed them from the ship and explained that to them, and we were able to have that canceled without charge.

Can anyone please share what opening day prices were like for two adults on this cruise? Waiting to book this for May 2020 as soon as the new dates come out. Thank you!

Can anyone please share what opening day prices were like for two adults on this cruise? Waiting to book this for May 2020 as soon as the new dates come out. Thank you!

You can search the forum for Opening Day 2019 to find the post with prices but ours was about $4800 for two in an ocean view, before placeholder discount. The price has barely gone up even a year later. In fact just around/after final payment date they released a Florida resident and military rare along with some *GT rates that are all making me a little sad, lol.

Have fun! Transatlantic is one of our favorite cruises. Like the others staying in Barcelona a few days after is a must if schedule allows. We did Monserrat on our own via train which was very easy. If you have a sports fan in travel party going to Barcelona FC's stadium, Camp Nou, is pretty amazing. We used Rick Steve's book to plan for our first trip there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter