Going Solo part time

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

My daughter will be traveling to WDW with her High School marching band. I have volunteered to go as a chaperone. Although I will be with HS students a good deal of the time, there will be times the kids will run off and I will be on my own. Even though there will be other chaperones I can hang out with, I'd like to take some moments to myself. I am on this board to gather some ideas of what to do when I am alone. To me, Epcot will be easy. I can enjoy the gardens, shops, and architecture of WS. I think MK will be hardest for a solo adult to enjoy. I am considering lunch at Poly or afternoon tea at GF.

I am also looking for rides that have single rider lines. I haven't found a thread yet, but I'm sure there is one out there. I'm also looking for restaurants (mostly counter service) that have quiet spots where I can have those few moments to myself.

Thanks to all!

Jody

I've been solo a number of times and all of the parks are fine for that. Can't help you with single rider lines because I don't pay a lot of attention to that, when I go solo it seems to be less about riding rides and more about just enjoying the place. Some of the things I do other then the same thing I do when I go with my adult son:

HS - grab a seat at HBD outside lounge near show time, get a Cobb Salad and a glass of wine and watch the show and people watch.

AK - Do the trail around the tree of life. There are lots of little nooks and crannies at AK to just sort of wander into and enjoy.

MK - go slow and look at all the details on the buildings. Sit on a bench and people watch. Climb the Swiss Family tree house.

Epcot - so many little nooks and crannies to grab a drink or an ice cream and just relax at. There is a little garden behind both China and Japan, gardens in Canada, GB and France. There is a great tile room in Morocco.

Have tea at GF (I actually do that with my son too).
Sit at the pool and enjoy a book and a refreshing adult beverage.

I enjoy the live street entertainment offered at all the parks. The park schedules will help you, here. Also, I enjoy the shows like Beauty and the Beast.

If you do fastpass you can really do any ride quicker.

I prefer picking counter service by what I enjoy eating and whatever location is close by when I'm hungry. I'm certainly not going to back track in the park to catch a quick service meal.

I’m actually hoping to go around that same time...my middle schooler will be there for Festival Disney with her wind ensemble and I’d like to go as a “tag-along” for a couple days. This would be a first solo trip for me. I agree with taking in the quiet spots and relaxing/people watching, especially in Epcot. I would also love to visit some resort areas that I haven’t yet experienced (including the new Enchanted Rose at GF) plus spend more time in AK which my family doesn’t seem to enjoy as much as I do.
Living with the Land (Behind the Seeds) tour is right up my alley and not horribly pricey, so that’s a possibility too.

Happy planning!

Only three attractions at WDW have single rider lines:
  • Expedition Everest in DAK
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster in DHS
  • Test Track in Epcot
They're not always open, but they're very convenient and typically get you on much faster than the stand-by lines.

I’ve done a lot of solo trips, but haven’t found too many quite places in the parks, mostly at the resort! If you can get a reservation for tea, I would absolutely recommend it.

Columbia Harbor house in magic kingdom has a second floor to its seating. It’s a bit quieter there and if you sit along the window a nice place to people watch. You could also take the monorail in the afternoon and resort hop or take the boat to wilderness lodge and eat at Geyser Point.

Animal Kingdom has so many great trails to go through, but it all depends how hot it is. That park can turn into a sauna so quickly that they’re a bit much for me. You could always hop a bus over to AKL too if you’re able to leave the park.

Only three attractions at WDW have single rider lines:
  • Expedition Everest in DAK
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster in DHS
  • Test Track in Epcot
They're not always open, but they're very convenient and typically get you on much faster than the stand-by lines.
And now smugglers run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!