Going solo.. The 3 stages of coworker reactions

Gary Stocker

DIS Veteran
Since I decided and then carried out my solo trip plan for next month I am noticing a pattern of reactions to my announced Disney trip primarily from my Male coworkers..the women are all Immediately saying "good for you" but I am curious what their reaction would be if their husband did the same..but I digress..

1. Dude, really? Disney? Of all the places? That's dumb..without your kids?

2. Isnt that expensive? Your wife is allowing you to go to Disney by yourself? Mine would never.. you have the best wife (an aside..my wife and kids are also travelling with her mother that week. I wouldn't dare otherwise)

3. Man, you're living the dream. I am jealous.

Just ordered my Vader magic band and am psyched!

i can somewhat relate, although i am a 22 year old female with no kids or husband lol. my male boss thought it was a little bizarre i was going to disney by myself, while my female boss said she was jealous. i don't think most people realize how common it actually is to travel by yourself, let alone going solo to disney!

I got a similar set of strange responses when I went by myself a month ago. I’m a young woman (26), so I guess it was maybe more expected? I got a lot of kind of strange “good for you”’s that seemed almost patronizing. That had me worried that it might be weird in the parks alone, but it was so much fun! All of my doubts were quickly alleviated, but I might think twice about shouting it from the rooftops at work the next time I go to Disney alone.

Well I have yet to go and the only thing I feel a tad uneasy about is dining alone..ohana might be a little weird.. but before I was married I was kind of a lone wolf and would take trips to Ocean City MD solo and would strike up conversations almost everywhere. I sense people are more easy going when on vacation.

I think you’re right. I struck up several conversations with friendly people in lines and at lunch. I also had several cast members give me a bit of extra attention and chat with me once they realized I was alone.

I have yet to be able to pull off a solo trip but I will do it one day. When Hubby and I have been going to Disney without our kids we hear the same thing. What why would you go to Disney? or What you are going again, Isn't that boring you just went last year? They just do not know what they are missing... shhh don't tell them because that is less people going leaving more dole whips for us and shorter lines haha

DH and I are planning our first kid-free trip this fall, and I haven't told any coworkers or friends yet. I think we'll get a lot of reactions #1 and #3, plus the part of #2 that covers "Isn't that expensive? I would never spend that on a trip that wasn't for the whole family." I suppose I'll have to go public when it gets close.

Since I started this thread my plans have spread around my office like wildfire as is the norm. I told maybe 5 people and about 30 people are aware and have provided unprovoked opinions.

In my situation some are thinking they would go to Vegas...sorry. no. Going to Vegas solo? Disney is pricy but this would be a recipe for disaster..maybe if Vegas had flight of passage or tower of terror but no thanks.

Any sarcastic comment I receive is born out of jealousy I am absolutely convinced.

For me, the purpose of a vacation is to take a break and have fun. We’re all different, so this could be exotic foreign travel, a staycation, or anything in between. For the more interesting, fun people it is frequent visits to WDW! Some people are comfortable traveling alone and others can’t imagine doing something as simple as going to a restaurant or movie without an entourage, which is their loss. My vacation is about ME and the people with whom I travel. Ask the snarky coworkers why your vacation plans seem to concern them so much. You may be right; it could be born out of jealousy!

I haven't been to DW solo...yet...but love going to Disneyland by myself. Its just so nice to go and do anything you want. I will do a solo DW trip before my AP expires. I'm really looking forward to visiting all four parks on my own and really spending time enjoying the moment.

i can somewhat relate, although i am a 22 year old female with no kids or husband lol. my male boss thought it was a little bizarre i was going to disney by myself, while my female boss said she was jealous. i don't think most people realize how common it actually is to travel by yourself, let alone going solo to disney!
Seriously, this is so true! Most ppl dont realise how common it is to go to disney alone. Its VERY common.

@Gary Stocker I've had the same reactions from people btw (im a chick fwiw lol).
Some of the comments: "youre going alone? to disney? out of all places? Why??" ......"why not go to a beach? why disney?" ......."youre going without kids? really? Just yourself? arent you afraid? And "wont you feel awkward being alone?"....some feedback was positive though. I'd get the odd "good for you!" and "im jealous".
I basically just stopped telling people that i go alone. I just dont want to deal with the reactions. Its really annoying.

I just tell them I'm going to Florida or visiting the Food and Wine Festival. People can be so judgemental. Funnily enough, if you turn up at the World Showcase on a Saturday evening in September during Food and Wine you will see hundreds if not thousands of drunk adults and only a handful of kids. The whole of the World Showcase is a playground for grown-ups. I would say that the only place I feel a little bit out of place as a solo adult is Fantasyland.

I just tell them I'm going to Florida or visiting the Food and Wine Festival. People can be so judgemental. Funnily enough, if you turn up at the World Showcase on a Saturday evening in September during Food and Wine you will see hundreds if not thousands of drunk adults and only a handful of kids. The whole of the World Showcase is a playground for grown-ups. I would say that the only place I feel a little bit out of place as a solo adult is Fantasyland.
I say that too...that im going for the food & wine fest. Sometimes they still ask who im going with. Thats when i tell them im meeting "friends" (Chip & Dale) lol.

To lie is to be ashamed
..which I am not.
Im not ashamed either. But i've lied and said im going with someone just to avoid "that conversation" again and again. Having to explain why im going alone over and over gets annoying.

Yup, Magic Kingdom is the only place I've ever felt a little awkward being solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter