Going to Disney for the first time, need wheelchair.

Oliviaxxx

Mouseketeer
Hi all. My first post here! My mom and I will be heading to Disney in October. We just booked the trip this week on a whim. We have never been to Disney before. We are so excited! The reason for the trip is that my mom has had a double lung transplant! We never thought she would be able to go to Disney with her lung issues but now she can! Our whole lives have changed for the better. That being said, she is a million times more able now but can still tire easily, especially with long Disney days. She doesn't want to miss out so we were thinking of a wheelchair (we pushed her in one before her transplant.) Was thinking of pushing the wheelchair throughout the park, could always put out backpack on it and when she needed it she could sit and I could push. So I have some questions..

1) We will be flying in from NJ. Should I rent a wheelchair from a third party place or rent one through Disney? Do they usually run out?

2) When we show up at Disney with a wheelchair will there be any issues? Will we have to show proof that she needs one?

3) We don't need any special disability assistance like the scheduled wait time. We just need the wheel chair for the long walks. Can we just leave the wheelchair with the strollers in stroller parking? Also if we park it there what is the likelihood of it being stolen?

4) Or should we bring it with us through the line? Is that even allowed? The ones I was looking out were easily collapsible so they just could be collapsed in half.

Any response will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

You can push her in it through most lines, there are a few rides you would use an alternative entrance for the wheelchair. Or you could park it outside the line if you want. Many people prefer to rent offsite, because you can't take the Disney ones past the main entrance. Rent offsite and you can use it at the resort or in the parking lots. Plus a lot of people say the offsite ones are more comfortable, in better repair, and easier to push. No one is going to question her need for a wheelchair, no need to bring any proof. Congratulations, I hope you all have an amazing trip!

Hi all. My first post here! My mom and I will be heading to Disney in October. We just booked the trip this week on a whim. We have never been to Disney before. We are so excited! The reason for the trip is that my mom has had a double lung transplant! We never thought she would be able to go to Disney with her lung issues but now she can! Our whole lives have changed for the better. That being said, she is a million times more able now but can still tire easily, especially with long Disney days. She doesn't want to miss out so we were thinking of a wheelchair (we pushed her in one before her transplant.) Was thinking of pushing the wheelchair throughout the park, could always put out backpack on it and when she needed it she could sit and I could push. So I have some questions..

1) We will be flying in from NJ. Should I rent a wheelchair from a third party place or rent one through Disney? Do they usually run out?

2) When we show up at Disney with a wheelchair will there be any issues? Will we have to show proof that she needs one?

3) We don't need any special disability assistance like the scheduled wait time. We just need the wheel chair for the long walks. Can we just leave the wheelchair with the strollers in stroller parking? Also if we park it there what is the likelihood of it being stolen?

4) Or should we bring it with us through the line? Is that even allowed? The ones I was looking out were easily collapsible so they just could be collapsed in half.

1 not sure I do not fly

2 no proff needed to rent or use a wheelchair or ECV at Disney

3 wheelchair can go in most ( all but like 3-5 lines and these will have there own way your you to get on either the exit or FP line) and ECV can go in a good number of lines the ones that cant will have wheelchair close by for you to use. you are welcome to take the wheelchair in line with you. some lines like saoring and not TSM is very long even with a FP.

4 Yes, I would bring the wheelchair in line with you like I said in 3 most lines you can bring the wheelchair to the load area of rides.

I would rent off-site so that she has it for when she goes back to the hotel ( I am guessing you are staying at Disney) the wait for buses can be long and if you just miss the bus it can be a 20-minute wait till the next one comes. and some of the hotels are quite big.

So people get blister and they find a cheap pair of bike gloves help with this I will get blister if i use bick gloves so you might want to buy a pair but just be carefull

I would rent from offsite as the resorts can be big plus at end of night when heading back to your transportation which ever form the park rental has to be left inside the gate with few places to sit. I would take wheelchair with you in line as she could sit and save energy while in line.

Definitely either rent from off-site or bring one with you.

ADA laws prohibit them from asking if you need it or why you need it, so no proof necessary.

Definitely take it in line, if the queue is not accessible, they will direct you accordingly.

Last edited:
Just to agreed with the bike gloves. My DH uses a wheelchair only at disney, so for me the bike gloves saved me a few blisters on my hands.

also adding to the rent off site thought......My first couple of trips we rented from disney. You need to spent time getting the wheelchair, there may be a line, a long line. Then if you switch parks, you have to turn it in and then get one at the new park. Could be lots of lost time waiting for a wheelchair.

It is so much easier to be ready to go right from the room with a wheelchair.

Last edited:
Last thing to add: Bring along a length of colorful grosgrain ribbon, or an inexpensive colorful bandana to tie on to the wheelchair - it will help it stand out visually, and if it does get moved by a helpful CM, you can say "Hey, have you seen a wheelchair with a bright green ribbon tied to the armrest?"

Congratulations to your Mom! I hope you both have the best trip ever! :)

I just reread your post. You said you pushed your mom before. Do you have own a wheelchair? If so, you can just bring that one with you. No issues on the plane and you'll have it all the time. They will put it with the strollers. It does take some time after to get it from the plane. But I would just sit on the plane while everyone else gets off and then the wheelchair willl be waiting for you.

you might want to think about renting an ECV instead of a wheelchair. 1st time DW and I went to WDW we got a wheelchair. I was in very good shape, but I got worn out by the end of the day. remember you're walking up to 10-12 miles a day. The last 4 times we rented an ECV she loved it, gave her more freedom, could hand item from it and I didn't get worn out.
Almost all airlines will provide wheelchairs that someone else pushes to get around airports and you get top priority to board.
There are 4(?) WDW selected off site ecv vendors that will deliver the ecv to your resort
So it will probably come down to your personal preference and budget to decide. Good luck

you might want to think about renting an ECV instead of a wheelchair. 1st time DW and I went to WDW we got a wheelchair. I was in very good shape, but I got worn out by the end of the day. remember you're walking up to 10-12 miles a day. The last 4 times we rented an ECV she loved it, gave her more freedom, could hand item from it and I didn't get worn out.
Almost all airlines will provide wheelchairs that someone else pushes to get around airports and you get top priority to board.
There are 4(?) WDW selected off site ecv vendors that will deliver the ecv to your resort
So it will probably come down to your personal preference and budget to decide. Good luck

I agree with your statement that an ECV can give someone *much* more freedom - for example, it lets me head out in the early morning hours and get coffee at the QS while everyone else is getting ready! If I don't want to ride Star Tours for the umpteen-jillionth time, I can let my travel party know where I will be shopping (and Find My Friends on our iPhones nails that down anyway) and I let them save the galaxy while I indulge in my favorite indoor sport!

Having said that, please note that while most airlines encourage those with mobility issues, families traveling with small children and First Class passengers to board early, I always treat that as "pixie dust". And while it seems like it's a big bonus or perk to load first on the plane (and it does make things much, much easier to not have a crush of passengers impatiently waiting for you to get situated) if I had my druthers, I would load last... But, just like with the WDW internal buses, typically we load on first, and get off last. It's a matter of practicality. Never believe for a minute that any airline is giving you any kind of "priority" access to the plane unless either (1) you pay for it or (2) it benefits them somehow. (Source: my husband has worked for a major American based Airline for the last 30 years)

Finally, there are 4 "Featured" vendors that have paid Disney to be listed on Disney's website, and for the option to drop off/pick up their devices from Bell Services at the Resorts. There are FAR more external vendors in Orlando, and almost all of them will quite happily bring you a rental ECV to the Disney Resort of your choice. Watch recent posts here on the DISabilities thread to see which vendors are currently getting highest marks from our members here. One vendor who historically has had a great reputation has recently fallen out of favor for a relative newcomer that is providing high levels of service at competitive rates.

There is another thread about a newer company called Gold Mobility Service that has been doing very well and has top notch customer service, look at the thread about them. I suggest giving them a call and talk with them about your concerns, they really seem to be interested in finding the right solution for you, not necessarily what makes them the most money.

I am not endorsing them in anyway or saying you should or shouldn't rent from them, I am just saying you should at least check them out. I personally would strongly recommend an ECV over a wheelchair for the reasons already pointed out.

A year ago I hurt my knee and was severely limited in how far i could walk. Initially we planned to rent a wheelchair but after adding up the rental costs and tips for the airport personnel we decided to buy a transport chair from Walmart for about the same price. The transport chair is lighter and folds much smaller thsn a regular wheelchair. We were able to fold it when we got on the bus and hold it in front of us just like a stroller. It worked very well!

There is another thread about a newer company called Gold Mobility Service that has been doing very well and has top notch customer service, look at the thread about them. I suggest giving them a call and talk with them about your concerns, they really seem to be interested in finding the right solution for you, not necessarily what makes them the most money.

I am not endorsing them in anyway or saying you should or shouldn't rent from them, I am just saying you should at least check them out. I personally would strongly recommend an ECV over a wheelchair for the reasons already pointed out.

I made a reservation with Gold Mobility for my parents for the first two weeks in August. The Gold Mobility people have been beyond accommodating so far. One of the scooters we rented is for my mom, and she's never used a scooter before. She is very nervous about using a scooter and I explained that to their customer service person over the phone. They offered to come out and teach my mom how to use the scooter properly right at Fort Wilderness cabins area where we are staying. They further offered if she wasn't confident enough after training or at anytime along the way they would trade the rental scooter for a wheelchair and refund the difference.

We haven't use the actual service yet but so far just from an informational and customer service view point they have been excellent.

I just wanted to say congratulations to your mom and family and I hope you have a fabulous time!! One word of caution about transport chairs (a PP kindly suggested purchasing one) while they may work for some people, they usually have very small wheels instead of the typical big wheels and those casters can get easily stuck at WDW on some of their different kinds of pavement, making it easy to throw the person who is in the wheelchair. In my opinion, if you don't already have a chair to use I would rent one offsite (or an ECV) and enjoy your time!! Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter