Going to Disney

wvjules

DIS Veteran
I’m thinking of going to Disney in May...solo. I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible so I am planning on using points at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre and using miles for the flight. Since I am staying offsite I can’t book FP until 30 days out. As a solo traveler that can use single rider lines should I be ok with the 30 days? I haven’t been to WDW in 6 years so I’ve not had to book FP in advance before. The dates are May 18-23. The week before Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, I could ask in the TPAS board but the CB is my home.

I’m thinking of going to Disney in May...solo. I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible so I am planning on using points at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre and using miles for the flight. Since I am staying offsite I can’t book FP until 30 days out. As a solo traveler that can use single rider lines should I be ok with the 30 days? I haven’t been to WDW in 6 years so I’ve not had to book FP in advance before. The dates are May 18-23. The week before Memorial Day weekend.

There are very few single rider lines at WDW. Only Test Track, Expedition Everest, and Rock-n Roller Coaster have them, and the RNRC one doesn't work that well (you can easily end up waiting longer in it). Anyway, I wouldn't worry about that. You can still get FPs at 30 days, except for maybe Flight of Passage and Slinky Dog Dash. You can rope-drop FOP, get there at least an hour before park open. It works well. The dates are probably as good as any at this point. It's pretty much always busy, but it won't be as bad as Memorial Day weekend. Go have fun!

I've gone solo a couple of times and enjoyed the experience. I happened to be at MK on a "10" day (and on my birthday!), and it was crowded but still a fun day. Didn't have a problem booking the FPs I wanted even though I was a "30 day" person like you. I had to check back a few times but eventually got what I wanted.

Good thing about going solo is you can do what you feel like doing and don't have to worry about venning a solution that pleases everybody. If I wanted to do Laugh Floor (which I like but DW doesn't care for it), I can just do it.

OK flight is booked. I did basic economy on AA. It was only $130 R/T. I said this was a bargain trip!

The next trip will be the big one. I'll be 50 and my grandson will be 5. It will be his first trip so I plan on going all out for it. But it is still a few years away. :(

I love May! We used to travel then before we had DS (because it was our anniversary) and stuck with it until he started elementary school because it was a great time to go.

I think you'll be fine with 30-day FPs (except for maybe the two newest things - but I agree that you might even luck out with those searching for a single slot.) If you're a nighttime park person, you might also try getting in line right before close. I've heard the wait times can be over-estimated then, and that they will let people already in line ride.

I've only done single-rider on Expedition Everest, but it worked very well!

That week shows up as one of the best (#9) weeks of the year, according to the Your First Visit website. $130 R/T, can't beat that. Great rate.

I've done a lot of solo trips there and several at that time of the year. Weather is still good, crowds manageable, though as said, seems like crowds almost always there now. But FP's should not be difficult, again, as said, other than the few newest attractions. You'll have a great time, Jules, enjoy.

You'll do fine. I planned my July trip in about 3 weeks and, while I was on site, I was well within the 30 days. I had a party of 5. I had some trouble for things like Flight of Passage and Seven Dwarfs Mine train, but I got to ride everything I wanted. Plus I got same day passes to many things. With a party of one, you're going to do fine. May is my FAVORITE time to go. Used to do that when the kids were little and they could miss school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter