Going to SDL in October - any advice

Lisa345

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going to SDL at the end of a tour of China. We will be there for 3 days the 1st week of October. I know it is the beginning of the holiday week, but it was that or nothing.

Any advice on which rides first and any snack food that would be different than the US parks.
We thought about the Premier tour, but it is just too expensive and I don't think we could find 4 other people easily.

We are very excited but a little nervous since we haven't found too many people who have already been there. I usually do more research then needed and I feel like I haven't done my homework.

Thanks for any help.
Lisa

I was there August 6.
I am returning to China and will probably go again on September 24.

October is a good time to go. August was way too hot.

Some random thoughts:
1. The Chinese park guests are nice, until they get in a line. It is common practice for one person in a group to get in a line, and then the other five or so people to join them later. Maybe let them by. Others will simply cut in front of you if they can or push you to fill in an empty space in front of you. Perhaps you and your husband can stand shoulder to shoulder to discourage the cutting. Try not to let this rudeness ruin your time there.

2. Soaring Over the Horizon is hugely popular and is a slow moving line. Consider this as a first ride, if you can get there from rope drop.

3. The Pirates of the Caribbean is the most amazing ride in any Disney park that I've been on. But the standby line is miserable (stuffy). Get a fastpass (if they have it) or ask to go as single riders

4. The park is very big. Try to do the attractions in one land before moving to the next one.

5. All of the food is different than what is offered in US parks. I have no specific recommendations. The quality of Western food is somewhat less than what is offered at WDW. Most seating is outdoors (with a couple of exceptions). If you want a sit-down meal, consider going to Disneytown...lots of great indoor choices and they are not as crowded

6. The TRON ride is great. You ride it in a motorcycle position. If you wear glasses, they will make you take them off unless you have a glasses strap and can show them that they won't come off. Bring a glasses strap because you'll want to see everything.

7. Perhaps 1 of 3 Cast Members speak passable English. The ride audio is in Mandarin.

8. I'm not sure what kind of Fastpass strategy would work best. Each Land has a single area with FP distribution machines. There were always long (but fast moving) lines just to get a FP for an attraction in that land. You might want to try getting a POTC FP, if it is offered, as the ride reportedly breaks down frequently.

9. The Lion King show is the Broadway play (in Mandarin), not the show that is offered at Animal Kingdom. There is a separate charge to see it. I would only see it if your Mandarin is good AND you haven't seen the Broadway show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter