Going to Universal - Which Airport?

sandam1

DIS Veteran
We're starting our trip at Universal Hollywood before heading to Disneyland. At first, I was thinking that we would fly into LAX, but then I was looking and it appears that Burbank is closer to Universal. Currently the flight into Burbank is about $50 more expensive and not quite as good of an arrival time (we'd arrive about 1.5 hours later), but I don't think that's a deal-breaker. It looks like the Uber could be significantly cheaper and faster from Burbank.

Does this make sense or is there something that I'm missing? (I'm flying Southwest if that makes any difference)

As much grief as LAX gets, it's modern and there's tons of options, including the more frequent flights. It's probably better for those getting rental cars because of more competition.

Burbank doesn't have jetways. Some think it's cool using air stairs. And it is much closer to Universal City than LAX. It might even be practical via public transportation. I think the important thing would be where you're staying.

ratio3x2_950.jpg

I think the important thing would be where you're staying.

I'm pretty sure that we're staying at the Sheraton Universal. Or at least that's the current plan.

We are almost certainly using Uber to get around. My friend drove in L.A. on one of our trips about 20 years ago and I don't think either one of us is interested in doing that again.

I'm pretty sure that we're staying at the Sheraton Universal. Or at least that's the current plan.

We are almost certainly using Uber to get around. My friend drove in L.A. on one of our trips about 20 years ago and I don't think either one of us is interested in doing that again.

OK. I've only been there once. My cousin's wedding banquet was there near the top floor. Great view of the Hollywood Freeway.

It's less than 6 miles from Burbank Airport to that Sheraton. If the schedule works out, then absolutely it's better if you choose to use ride share.

My last four trips to Southern California I got adventurous and used only public transportation once I got there. I got to see the full range of humanity, warts and all. I did go to Universal CityWalk one day, and on the Metro Red Line I came across a woman talking loudly to herself, and also missed the station and had to turn back at North Hollywood. I'm not sure how adventurous you might be, but for certain things it's really good. For a whole week I spent less than $30 (mostly passes) on ground transportation with six different public transportation agencies. If you're taking a trip to Hollywood, the Metro Red Line is very convenient.

It's less than 6 miles from Burbank Airport to that Sheraton. If the schedule works out, then absolutely it's better if you choose to use ride share.

Considering we're probably going to have a mountain of luggage (we're going to be there for 7 nights and are running the DL races), ride share seems the best option.

Burbank is FAR preferable to LAX, especially for Universal Studios and Universal City which are quite close by LA standards. FAR. It’s more than worth the $50 to avoid LAX‘s congestion and the traffic on the 405/110, which would be your route to Universal. We’ve never had a problem getting a rental car or a ride share at Burbank, either.

If you are flying Southwest, pro tip is don’t worry about fighting for seats at the front of the plane (unless that’s preferred for other reasons) but sit in the rear of the plane which is usually less populated - you deplane from both the front and rear. The baggage claim is covered but outdoors outside the terminal, so depending on what time of day and year you arrive, you might want to have a sweater or jacket handy as temps cool down once the sun disappears.

Ride share pickup is outside baggage claim; I’ve always found Burbank airport staff to be friendly and helpful and they’ll be happy to direct you to the right spot. But the airport is pretty small so you can’t get too lost.

Last edited:
We always prefer Burbank when going anywhere near Hollywood or anything north of there. It’s about 5 min from the gates to the ride share area (or less), and ride share drivers will usually pick you up in 4-5 min from the time you book them.

LAX can really be a pain just due to the sheer size of the airport and its operations. Burbank is pretty much the opposite.

It’s a really quick ride share from Burbank to the Sheraton. My daughter likes Universal more than DL these days (Minions vs. Mickey), so we go to UH for a couple of days before we go to DL on most trips. We fly into BUR, don’t worry too much about arrival time (short drive lessens rush hour impact), and after having dinner at the CityWalk, take a ride share to DL in the evening, after traffic has cleared up. Then after our last day at DL, we take another evening rideshare to a hotel near the airport, or for an evening flight.

The only drawback to BUR is that on occasion, they may get backed up at the security check. Only seen it happen twice, and I don’t know what happened, but the TSA check was completely overwhelmed. Still made our flights, but we spent a lot of time standing in a hallway.

The only drawback to BUR is that on occasion, they may get backed up at the security check. Only seen it happen twice, and I don’t know what happened, but the TSA check was completely overwhelmed.

While I suspect that we are only going to be coming into Burbank (probably leaving from SNA or LGB since we will be at Disney), that's a good thing to know. I'm assuming that they do have Pre-Check? I have a NEXUS pass and my friend will hopefully have hers by the time we go.

The baggage claim is covered but outdoors outside the terminal, so depending on what time of day and year you arrive, you might want to have a sweater or jacket handy as temps cool down once the sun disappears.

Good to know!

While I suspect that we are only going to be coming into Burbank (probably leaving from SNA or LGB since we will be at Disney), that's a good thing to know. I'm assuming that they do have Pre-Check? I have a NEXUS pass and my friend will hopefully have hers by the time we go.

That can happen a lot at small to medium sized airports when there's just a confluence of people getting to the airport early.

They definitely have TSA Pre-Check.

I’ve never been backed up in security at BUR since having TSA Pre/Global Entry, and BUR used to be my home preferred airport so I flew out of it quite a lot until recently. Not saying it doesn’t happen and one should alway plan for extra time at the airport for whatever reasons, but security hasn’t been a top concern of mine. It’s truly a small airport; feels like stepping back in time. I’ll be sorry when the new terminal is built.

One thing is BUR doesn’t have private lounges, so if hanging out in the lounge is a key part to one’s travel sanity, that could be a drawback.

Definitely do BUR on the flight in.

Do SNA to go home.

Avoid LAX entirely.

We’re flying into SNA and driving straight to Universal. I think we booked our flights before we knew for sure we’d go up there, but also, we had some round trip companion pass tickets, so don’t think we could have done the one way in, one way out option.

It’s gonna be a long drive tho. Lol 😆

I'd love to go to burbank airport, but there are no direct flights from Chicago, which extends the already long 4+ hour flight to much longer to make it no longer worth the time saved in driving from LAX.

So I will stick with LAX to go to LA, and SNA to go to Orange County area.

Otherwise, if Burbank makes sense for you (direct flight), then yes, I'd go with that.

I'm used to LAX at this point, so it isn't so bad, but like any large airport, it can be overwhelming for first time visitors.

Otherwise, if Burbank makes sense for you (direct flight), then yes, I'd go with that.

There are NO direct flights from my home airport (Buffalo) to Los Angeles so I've got a layover no matter what.

The flights that I am looking at goes Buffalo - Denver - Burbank. Coming back it looks like it's going to be Long Beach (the flights from SNA are not looking good) - Chicago Midway - Buffalo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter