Going to UO (either President's week or mid April), any tips?

Luisfba

Mouseketeer
My older girl (12) broke my heart by telling me she didn't want to go to WDW for our 2018 trip. Something about.. "but we've done it every year for the last 5.. getting tired of it and there's not enough new stuff". I may have shed some tears when no one was looking.. but decided to quickly regroup and see what we could do about it.

New plan.. time for Universal Orlando. Kids have never been and last time my wife and I went was about 16 years ago. Kids are psyched. It's going to be a fairly short trip (4 nights - likely 3 full days plus a few hours the day we get there since we will land early afternoon.. will probably head home early on the return travel day). Debating between week of President's Day (likely using President's day as a travel day so we don't deal with day of crowds), or week of April 16 (Patriot's day up here in Boston area).

I'm thinking April is better for crowds and weather, but we may have some logistical issues on our end which may push us into the February week. I would be interested into insight into that week with respect to crowds as well as weather (to see how hard I should push for April instead). For crowds, is it less crazy than WDW in that time? I ask only because Touring plans shows UO at an 8 that Monday, while it shows WDW at 10's.. not sure I'm buying it. With respect to that week in April.. crowds look great in Touring Plans (it rates it at 2's and 3's.. again, seems low-ish given the WDW crowds for that time are 4-5's).

Also, currently looking at staying at Royal Pacific. Grabbed a King Suite ... I was debating between that or a kids suite at Sapphire Falls. Would love a little more room or staying at Hard Rock but prices start going past the budget (I'm thinking I'll keep my eyes open for AP deals and go that route if something good shows up.. again, other ideas or tips are welcome).

The kids may be interested in the water park, but I'm not sure about it given I've heard it's chaotic (?).. maybe just a few hours one morning before it gets too crowded?

Any general feedback, advice, etc? As a WDW regular I'm used to coming up with detailed plans, etc.. and I hear UO doesn't require much in terms of planning.. but is it literally 'just show up', or are there touring advice or recommended order, etc?

Hi :) We went to Disney on the Saturday of presidents day weekend a few years ago and it was for sure a crowd of 10. We could barely walk at MK. I can't speak for UO but I imagine its similar. However if you stay at one of the 3 resorts w/ FP I wouldn't worry about the crowds. Weather in Feb can be a bit cooler than April. I prefer April.

However, Feb. 3rd to April 7th is their Mardis Gras celebrations, so there is a reason to go in Feb. vs. late April. We got a deluxe two-queen at PBH. They brought in a cot (but it was really more like a nice twin bed) and it fit perfect between the two queens. We have 3 kids, not sure how many you are traveling with? We paid for club and it was great as drinks, snacks, etc. were taken care of. I'm not sure if you've priced that vs. a suite, I know the suites are fairly pricey.

If your tickets inclue the WP then I say play it by ear, no need to pre-plan it. We've never done it but the reviews seem ok if you get there w/ the early hour.

I agree you can play everything more by ear. We went mid-July last time and the only reservation I made was for Mythos and I was glad I had it. Every thing else we just did as we liked and never really had an issue. I hope you have some HP fans in the house ;)

The city walk probably wasn't really there last time you visited and that is a really nice perk. Good places to eat and shop. Sort of like a mini Disney Springs but right outside the parks.

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

The two kids (and myself) are HP fans (which I believe means it will cost me another 100.. they’ll want the wands), and am glad those rides are now part of the express pass (right?) as we seem to be slow-ish in the mornings.

I’ll do more research about rooms. We like to have some space (usually get a 1 bedroom villa at Boardwalk when we do Disney), so that’s why I was looking at the king suite.. but need to see what other options pop up.

What are other things were reservations may be recommended? Or any basic touring tips?

If any of your kids are under 56” then at least one day try the Pteranodon flyers in the Jurassic section. It’s a relaxed ride but with great views. When we went it did not take a FP. It was not open during early morning hours but we did head there right at normal park opening as the line could get long. They do not allow adults to ride w/o a kid under 56” so Adults would take turns. I think they just limit it because it’s a low capacity ride, but very fun. That is the only one I can think of w/o express pass that I would want to ride.

Make time to see some of the HP shows. You will spend more then $100 for sure. They will “need” chocolate frogs and such ;)

Try a big pink donut in Simpson’s land.

I love the pools at UO. Great poolside service and very relaxing. Nightly poolside movie. So i guess that is an additional plug for April.

Show your room key at the CityWalk restaurants as for most of them you get priority seating. My kids liked eating at Cowfish. I’m excited to try toothsome when we go in late March.

I'm thinking April is better for crowds and weather, but we may have some logistical issues on our end which may push us into the February week. I would be interested into insight into that week with respect to crowds as well as weather (to see how hard I should push for April instead). For crowds, is it less crazy than WDW in that time? I ask only because Touring plans shows UO at an 8 that Monday, while it shows WDW at 10's.. not sure I'm buying it. With respect to that week in April.. crowds look great in Touring Plans (it rates it at 2's and 3's.. again, seems low-ish given the WDW crowds for that time are 4-5's).

Also, currently looking at staying at Royal Pacific. Grabbed a King Suite ... I was debating between that or a kids suite at Sapphire Falls. Would love a little more room or staying at Hard Rock but prices start going past the budget (I'm thinking I'll keep my eyes open for AP deals and go that route if something good shows up.. again, other ideas or tips are welcome).

If Touring plans shows an 8 crowd level (whether it actually turns out to be an 8 or not), you might want to stick with Royal Pacific instead of Sapphire Falls. You get free unlimited express passes if you stay at Royal Pacific. You do not get the free express passes with Sapphire Falls. The unlimited express passes are totally worth it if the crowd level actually does turn out be be an 8. Reducing your wait in lines always makes for a better vacation.

We have been both of those weeks because we are also from the Boston area. Last year we were there April vacation. It was busy but with fast pass and 3 full days you should be fine. I think Feb would be equally crowded. For me it would come down to weather. Feb could be cold (we have pictures of us one year in Seaworld wearing ski jackets) but April can be pretty hot. We like to use the pools, esp at the Universal hotels, so I would lean towards April. Also the water rides at Universal are awesome & could be tough to do in Feb. It is so much easier to plan a Universal trip vs Disney. I would stick with RPR for the express passes and it is a beautiful hotel. I like it better than the Hard Rock. I think the key is to take Universal for what it is and don't spend time comparing it to Disney. They are similar but very different at the same time. And equally fun.

I think we narrowed it down to April actually (April 17-21). :-)

Of course the younger daughter (8) wants to still do a day at Magic Kingdom..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!