Going to WDW in Mar w/2.5 yr old & 5 month

pepper54

Earning My Ears
I haven't been to WDW since 1982. I bought the unofficial guide to WDW. The book says that people with young children should stay near MK. That is just too expensive for me. So, I was looking at a moderate priced resort & was wondering which resort is the best for young children? I've heard that if you stay at a mod resort, you need a car because the dining options are minimal & it takes too long too get anywhere on the buses. Just wondering how to plan for the trip. Thanks to all who reply.

How old is/are your child/ren? We've stayed at the AS with small children and it wasn't a problem. There is good bus service to the other resorts and to the parks and DTD where you can get meals. The AS resorts have a cafeteria-style eatery with a fairly wide selection for all meals. The moderates and up have at least 1 cafeteria-styled and one more sit-down to sit-down restaurant. You can eat at any of the resort hotels though. (So you can stay at CBR and eat at the restaurant at AK or the Poly or Cont.) And take the bus system to do so. I have had good experiences with the bus system and used it exclusively last year with very minimal waiting (and I balance parking hassles to short wait times)

As a side note on dining with small children. The meals that my kids were most interested in were breakfast (had to have their protein first thing) and lunch. We usually at breakfast at the resort picking something up at the eatery and lunch in the park. by the time we got around to dinner my kids were either too exhausted to care about eating or were satisfied with a bowl of mac-n-cheese or a pbj followed by a bath and their PJ's :) I would concentrate mostly on breakfasts (maybe plan a character breakfast one day) and lunches in the park and do dinners as you see how your children are going to deal with all the adrenaline rush of WDW!

Oh, and check your local bookstore or library for the book Walt Disney World with Children. Excellent resource. Although staying at a monorail resort would be nice when the kids are small it isn't required and staying elsewhere isn't undoable.

:earsgirl:

We stayed at All stars Movies about 7 years ago. I think it is VERY family friendly. It had an eating area similar to a mall food court, so the family could literally pick and choose. I don't know about you, but I choose not to fight with my kid over food (anytime, but especially on vacation). I want him to eat well, fill his belly, and SLEEP. They had plenty of kid friendly choices, pizza, chicken nuggets, spagetti.

And the bus service was very easy.

Don't worry, Disney caters to kids, everywhere you are.

shelly

We love the mod resorts. The old "Dixie Landings" is our favorite. It is kid friendly, but not over powered with children and romantic for the parents too. The resort is so beatiful and relaxing. The pool is nice and they have a nice play ground for the kids too. Wonderful food court also. Like all WDW it is very kid friendly. (the busses tended to be a bit full and sometimes it was standing room only, but people always seemed to give up seat for people with youn children.) We have never rented a car and was fine using WDW transportation. You might want to consider Tiffany Town Car or Your Ride transportation that will give you a stop at a store for food before taking you to your resort. (Free car seats too.)

I have heard some parents like PO better because it is smaller and the pool there has a great slide for small kids.

Keep an eye out for codes, there has been some great ones. Almost any resort you stay at will be great as long as it is on WDW property.

Now the only time I ever stayed at WDW with a youngen was our last trip, we got a great discount code for Poly. (DD was 8 1/2 months old.) Since then we have joined DVC and our next trip is Beach Club Villas. Really looking forward to puttin her in her own room a night.

We went in Oct with my 3 1/2 yo and 6 mo old. The TOUGHEST part is what do you do with the stroller(s) on the buses. That is why they tell you stay at MK (to be on the monorail). Even if there are 2 of you it is tough to manage 2 kids (especially one that needs to be held) and a double stroller or 2 singles. The one piece of advice I can give you is until you are at the park you need to go to keep the little one in an infant carrier (Baby Bjorn or Snugli - type thing) until you arrive at the park, that way you'll have afree hand to hold the other child, or one of the strollers. (don't forget you'll also have at least a small diaper bag/backpack to carry along as well)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter